Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Roxa R3 T.I. I.R.

Anyone have experience with this boot?
    This was bootfitters number 2 choice for me. Number 1 was the Salomon QST Pro, but after looking into that it seems like there will be some issues with it.. aside from it fitting well.

Looked @ then at the test event last spring. BSL was odd 280 290 300 310..... & I was I'll fit. It seems like a yo yo boot. I don't know that I'd want to charge on them.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Looked @ then at the test event last spring. BSL was odd 280 290 300 310..... & I was I'll fit. It seems like a yo yo boot. I don't know that I'd want to charge on them.
    I am biased, but I have also skied nearly every new boot in this category, and found that the R3 130 skis more strongly than many of them. I'm a fan of cabrio boots though, and not everybody is.

In this instance, BSL is irrelevant to fit. I've worn plenty of shorter-fitting boots with longer BSLs.

For a commonly-known fit comparison: I'd say the R3 130 fits similar to a KR2 shell, but with a noticeably tighter instep.

Feel free to hit me with any questions on Roxa stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    I am biased, but I have also skied nearly every new boot in this category, and found that the R3 130 skis more strongly than many of them. I'm a fan of cabrio boots though, and not everybody is.

In this instance, BSL is irrelevant to fit. I've worn plenty of shorter-fitting boots with longer BSLs.

For a commonly-known fit comparison: I'd say the R3 130 fits similar to a KR2 shell, but with a noticeably tighter instep.

Feel free to hit me with any questions on Roxa stuff.
    Pulled the trigger on the R3 130. Had the Elements coming, but upgraded to the R3. Stoked, and the green looks so sick in person!

Where can you buy these in Canada?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Where can you buy these in Canada?
    http://www.roxa.com/dealers/

skiuphill.ca has the Roxa touring boots in stock, they might be able to bring in a pair of R3

Any updates on this boot?

If you can read French or use google translate here are a few reviews :

http://www.skipass.com/tests/chaussu...018_22499.html
    http://www.skipass.com/tests/chaussu...018_22400.html
    http://www.skipass.com/tests/chaussu...018_21914.html

Roxa gave some to some skipass users in exchange for a review, most didnt like the shoe that much. Mig, to guy who gave the best note, bought some Full Tilts Ascendants this season and he says he prefers them by far.

My buddy skis these and loves em. He came from some il moros. Personally i think the flex is pretty shitty. Nothing like dalbello. It seems to just hit a wall and seem very board like. Id take my lupos or old xt 130s over these any day. I will say they are very light and have a crazy ROM. Probably more than needed honestly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    My buddy skis these and loves em. He came from some il moros. Personally i think the flex is pretty shitty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    So, you skied them?

I bought a pair of the 2018 Roxa R3 130 T.I. and have put around 10 days on them with 2 smaller (2300 vertical feet) tours.

I've skied Raichle Flexons for around 20 years as my inbound boot and used some Scarpa Maestrales v2 for spring tours but they never really fit. I was never happy with the support of the Maestrales either.

People can read a more detailed review at https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...3-130-t-i-boot, but there's a few things about how the boot works that could be highlighted.

First, the fit: this boot fits myself really well and is incredibly easy to slip in and out. That should be enough innuendo. They are extremely comfortable for me out of the box (OK, more innuendo), I can wear them after skiing fully buckled. This drives a lot of my satisfaction with this boot.

Second, the downhill performance is excellent, lots of support, way more than any of my previous boots since race days. This is a 3 piece cabrio design and provides great progressive flex (more on that below). In my past attempts to try boots, I get shin bleed in all the boots I tried in the 80s and 90s (Technical, Nordica, Salomon) and I don't with these. When I tightened the settings down, they were too stiff but the simple range of adjustment let me find the sweet spot for downhill flex performance. The Church Of Flexon has gained a new abberant. I like to ski by feeling a forward balance on the balls of my feet and that has taken some getting used to with flexons so easy to get on top of the ski. These are a little different, but I've found that balance and can get on top of the ski the way I like.

Third, and I think this is what has been somewhat overlooked, the boot has really different approaches to flex and lots of flex adjustments.

This is achieved by a top buckle design and an odd little stiffness adjustment on the back in addition to the usual uphill setting lever.

Regarding the top buckle, rather than having some ratchet system or a series of notches, this boot completely relies on a large Velcro strap that loops through a single setting buckle. This works really well, both for adjusting the downhill stiffness as well as tour mode where one simply undoes the top buckle. I like the simplicity of this a lot and the forward freedom can be adjusted by either further loosening the Velcro or by unbuckling, taking the tongue out and just climbing that way.

In my few hours of uphilling, one day on firm icy crust requiring crampons and another day in softening mush, I found the forward freedom to be adequate and support excellent. Not as flexible as the Maestrales but much more secure.

The uphill setting is a lever which is kind of standard and in uphill mode it allows a little more rearward flex, but not a lot. This may change as the boot breaks in.

But the one different feature is the stiffness adjustment on the back, which has 2 settings, stiff and soft. I normally left this in the stiff setting, but on the warmer day, found that the soft setting improved both forward and rearward stride. My only nit here is that this stiffness adjustment requires an allen wrench currently which increases the transition times and fiddlyness. Relative to the Maestrale, the forward flex is almost as good, and in stiff mode the rearward flex isn't much, but in soft mode, the rearward flex for skinning is improved. Still not as good as more touring oriented boots, but acceptable to me.

Lastly, these things are ridiculously light. See the specs at blister.

Now I prefer to minimize gear; having an array of stuff to choose from to tune to a particular situation drives me nuts. So I really like these boots for a day of riding lifts and sidecountry skinning. I typically ski a 120 mm fat ski as long as I can get 1/4 inch edge penetration. I'm 6', 180 lbs, ex racer and 70s freestyle weenie with a penchant for soft snow, cool red wine and sativa.

In sum, I'm really satisfied with these boots for the fit and function. The design for flexibility from a stiff inbounds boot to a decent touring boot is key in my satisfaction. Props to the design team and I hope that my one functional nit regarding the allen wrench requirement can be fixed with a mechanism that can be set without a tool easily at transition time.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

pikchure: The top black button is the stay of the Velcro strap. The smaller silver button below that is the stiff/soft toggle setting and then the uphill lever below that. Also see the simple top buckle with the massive Velcro strap looping through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	282209  

We have had a couple of our guys out in a pair and so far the consensus is the boot fits big and that you will have to size down, we have a pair of 26.5's in our test fleet and both testers who wear a 26.5, had a ton of room. Another tester who usually skies a 27.5, found the 26.5 workable. So it is a boot to go by interior volume and ignore the BSL. https://www.pugski.com/threads/long-...t-i-i-r.15177/
    Click. Point. Chute.

I went from a 310 bsl raichle flexon to a 27.5 Roxa R3 T1.
    As written, I'm super happy with the fit and function. Works great in both old dynafit binders as well as marker F12s.

It may not be a One Size Fits All, but due to an impressive spectrum of Functionality, it's an Overnite Sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    We have had a couple of our guys out in a pair and so far the consensus is the boot fits big and that you will have to size down, we have a pair of 26.5's in our test fleet and both testers who wear a 26.5, had a ton of room. Another tester who usually skies a 27.5, found the 26.5 workable. So it is a boot to go by interior volume and ignore the BSL. https://www.pugski.com/threads/long-...t-i-i-r.15177/
    I only tried this boot on briefly, but I think the impression of big comes from the high roof over the instep, rather than a lot of extra length.

My initial impression is that this is THE boot for high insteps.
    Others thought would be welcome, boot is on my shortlist.
    Last edited by turnfarmer; 05-13-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added info

28.5 used 3-4 days, $200 plus ship

After 30 days of use, I'm super happy with the Roxa rx130.

Really light, comfortable for those of us with high insteps, great stiffness and support with a uniquely broad spectrum of innovative adjustments.

I've been pounding on them for 12 days straight and no shin bang, no pressure pains, warm in 0F temperatures,.

Very, very satisfied and I highly recommend the design and implementation.

p.s. awesome stiffness for an a.t. boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    p.s. awesome stiffness for an a.t. boot.
    If you have last years model you should get ahold of a vendor and try to get the grilimid insert. It’s a process to install but doable in an afternoon.

I'm happy the way they are, plenty stiff, ridiculously light, warm, huDge spectrums of adjustments with tech fittings and so comfortable.

Cabrio incest. A frankenboot is born! Noticed the Roxas have similar markings and holes to the Lupo, so with a little drilling and tweaking swapped out the stock strap/buckle with a more traditional Lupo strap and buckle setup. Super easy mod!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jdadour; 03-19-2020 at 12:00 PM.

I've been on this boot for 2 seasons...Love the way it skis, wish there was a little more range of motion when touring but the down performance is worth it.

I've found the sole blocks and plastic is a little soft so they look beat up but still working out fine...I bent up a buckle pretty bad and Roxa came through with replacements no charge...great support from them!

Those markings are there because the R3 line comes from the same mold as the Element series (same boot but with different buckle configuration, no tech fittings, no DRI, and a fixed upper cuff).

How wide are these boots? I have a medium to wide foot with a high instep. Current inbounds boot is a Rossignol Alltrack 120 (same-ish mold as a Lange SX) that fits really good out of the box. Would these work for me?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar