Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    I also found spending some time getting them comfortable with putting their own ski back on when they crash was really important. I saw quite a few parents doing all the work and SMH I wan them to be independant. The more he did it the less frustrating it became. Probably more of a no brainer I guess...

Best part is he jumped on the couch with me to watch Bearings with me last night. kid is stoked!
    Better to just crank the bindings so they never come off. Kids bones bend, not break. (Usually).

IMO the biggest problem in teaching kids to ski is too soon, too hard, too much. If they need the leash they're not ready. If they're in the back seat they're scared and the run is too steep for them. I've seen too many dads taking kids down runs that were obviously way too hard. It turns them off skiing, it makes them worse skiers, not better. I've seen dads screaming at their kids to hurry up on a powder day. Too much family drama in the parking lot. It's great for the kids to have fun in the snow at any age, but they don't need real ski gear or a lift ticket to do that. At most--cheap toy skis that strap onto snow boots. I'm not talking about waiting until puberty for real skiing--toilet trained should do it, like I said before. The hard part about teaching kids to ski is finding time to ski yourself, unless you have the money for ski school or ski day care.

That said, plenty of people did the opposite of everything I said and the kids turned into great, passionate skiers.

it should be about attitude and not age.get your kids outside in the cold right from the get go.i spent countless hours with my 2 now grown kids outside in the snow when they were just infants,pulling them on the sled and just playing in the snow.my son was just about 2 when i brought him out on skiis and my daughter around 20 months.both loved to be out in the cold and snow.by 3 they both were in a ski day care program that my mtn offered to locals and employees.by 6 they were in a race program that a local ski academy ran. no matter what you always have to make sure thatFUN IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of skiing. my son has been teaching skiing /coaching since he was 19 now 29, my daughter 28 coahed till she started a family. now 3 year old grandson and a 15 month old grand daughter.its time to start over again.i have coached and taught skiing for 10 years and differantly see the biggest problem with parents is pushing their kids on terrain that they aren't ready for.