Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Hot tubs. A discussion.

i’m debating propane vs electric water heater vs piping hot water to external faucet for “hot tub” and other overlapping plans such as outdoor shower for pool use and outdoor sink. i need to get learnt before my wallet does

edit: since we’re here

i was looking at military water heaters on CL last weekend because i want to vet the viability of reasonably heating a small inground pool in the 4th season. who here has experience in such poor decision making? give me a lead (or $$$)

Viking delivered. A month late, which was fine considering all the BS going on these days... A few great soaks so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1616250573.712075.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	368162

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i’m debating propane vs electric water heater vs piping hot water to external faucet for “hot tub” and other overlapping plans such as outdoor shower for pool use and outdoor sink. i need to get learnt before my wallet does

edit: since we’re here

i was looking at military water heaters on CL last weekend because i want to vet the viability of reasonably heating a small inground pool in the 4th season. who here has experience in such poor decision making? give me a lead (or $$$)
    Pool heaters are expensive for that extra few weeks.
    Heat pumps are more cost effective for week long use. Gas is better for weekend use.
    Then I read about blowing three hundo for a weekend.

I decided no pool heater. Fuck that.

When the pool is cold, go in the hot tub. Then the pool feels nice.

Hot tub is fiddy a month, all in maintenance and electric. And year round fun.
    . . .

I got Hot Spring Vanguard today. Should be here 6/15. Salt water option.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Got a Bullfrog X series in Mammoth. Been great this winter.

Couple questions for those more experienced than I:
    - How often do you drain and replace the water?
    - Those that use it infrequently (Either weekends, or once every couple of weeks) What is your MO for saving some $$$?
    - If not using for a couple of months, what is the best operating MO? Keep water in, drain it, chlorine, etc?
    - Anyone using the Bullfrog @Ease chlorine system? Any hacks to save a few $$$ as the chlorine cartridges seems a bit pricey for what they are?
    He who has the most fun wins!

We change our spa water (Hot Spot--a less expensive Hot Springs brand) every 4 months. We use it daily.
    Make sure you have it set to filter at least 3 hours twice a day, some say 4 hours.
    If using on weekends or every couple of weeks I would just turn down the temp but definitely leave it on so that it filters and to keep it from freezing in the winter.
    I would drain it if you are going to not use it for a month, certainly two. In freezing weather make sure to drain all the jet hoses--look it up on line..
    I shock ours before any period of not using, and weekly when we're using. You will learn from experience how long it can sit without new chemicals--if you come back after a month and the water is scummy you should have drained it before leaving. If it looks and tests ok then you can go longer without draining.
    I'm not familiar with that chlorine system--that might affect how long it can go between changing the water and between periods of use. Whatever the manual says.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Got a Bullfrog X series in Mammoth. Been great this winter.

Couple questions for those more experienced than I:
    - How often do you drain and replace the water?
    - Those that use it infrequently (Either weekends, or once every couple of weeks) What is your MO for saving some $$$?
    - If not using for a couple of months, what is the best operating MO? Keep water in, drain it, chlorine, etc?
    - Anyone using the Bullfrog @Ease chlorine system? Any hacks to save a few $$$ as the chlorine cartridges seems a bit pricey for what they are?
    Drain three to four times a year.

Some say leave it at temp, but I disagree. If it’s only a weekend thing, turn it down to 90 or 80. No way you’re using more energy that way.

Draining it is not cost effective. Need to suck and blow the lines and add antifreeze. That’s $350 around here. Way more than a few months electric bill.
    . . .

Agreed about not draining it. Bad choice not worth all the effort even if you have an electric pump to pump out the water. We use ours 3-4 days a week and drain it 4x per year or more depending on how it looks and if the pH levels are off. We change out the filters 4x per year too at the same time.

Be careful about keeping the temps too low - folliculitis and Legionnaires'.

This is a good tip we learned - make everyone shower in just hot water before you go in and don’t wash your suit too often. It’s a lot of work but worth it long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shower before use is key for sweaty men. Or more important, ladies with lotion. Body lotion will turn your hot tub into a Miami Beach foam party

Sweat is organic. Shock will neutralize it, but the organic material is still there. Better to rinse first.

Not sure that turning the temp down makes it more dangerous. Lower temp means the bromine levels are more stable. I did a quick search and found nothing to the contrary. If you have a link I’d like to read it.

The swimsuit soap theory cracks me up. Just a bunch of frisky hippies that want chicks naked in the hot tub.
    Take your freshly laundered suit, put it in water, and try to make bubbles. Good luck. Ain’t happening.

I’ve had the tub all dialed for weeks, me and the kids going in freshly washed suits. Then three chicks jump in with body lotion and hair conditioners , and now Marco Rubio feels at home in the foam.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    The swimsuit soap theory cracks me up. Just a bunch of frisky hippies that want chicks naked in the hot tub.
    Take your freshly laundered suit, put it in water, and try to make bubbles. Good luck. Ain’t happening.

I’ve had the tub all dialed for weeks, me and the kids going in freshly washed suits. Then three chicks jump in with body lotion and hair conditioners , and now Marco Rubio feels at home in the foam.
    I’ve got a buddy who oversoaps his laundry with tide product and literally EVERY TIME he comes over my tub turns into a foam bath. It’s real I assure you. Perhaps you’re using a good rinse soap?

And yes, everyone showers prior to tub every time. It makes a YUGE difference in water quality and longevity.

Chlorine user here after a couple years of bromine. chlorine is far easier to deal with.

Uggh. If there’s that much soap in your clothes, think about the health effects every day.
    I use a third of the soap dispenser on my front loader. Easier on septic. And clothes still clean.
    Same with hair shampoo. Some folks think they need endless lather, but that just strips all the oils. And now you need conditioner.
    Less is more. Better.

Been thinking about going chlorine. But bromine ain’t that hard for me.

But seriously. Is there that much soap in your friends suit? Doubt it. He’s probably got lotions and conditioner and shit all over his body. Or it could be Santorum?

You could test my theory by throwing his suit into the tub and seeing what happens.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Drain three to four times a year.

Some say leave it at temp, but I disagree. If it’s only a weekend thing, turn it down to 90 or 80. No way you’re using more energy that way.

Draining it is not cost effective. Need to suck and blow the lines and add antifreeze. That’s $350 around here. Way more than a few months electric bill.
    The reason to drain if not using for a while is not to save money but because the water won't stay decent indefinitely. How long you can go with it filled and not used depends on what disinfectant system you use, how careful you are in keeping the water clean, the environment, etc etc.

Sorry. Clarifying draining for winter costs $350.

Yeah, if you’re out of town for weeks and don’t have anyone to check on it, and it’s not freezing, drain is cool.

I’ve left for two weeks in summer and just mega shocked it before leaving and that works.
    . . .

We used bromine for year, switched to chlorine abut 2 years ago, soooo much easier. We change the water every 3-4 months. We use the hot tub 3-4 times a week and year round.

Soap is an issue in suits. wife (keeper of the hot tub chemicals) prefers everyone bathing suit-less.

Hot Tub Rules:
    1. The hot tub is never a bad idea
    2. No drama in the hot tub
    3. What happens in the hot tub stays in the hot tub
    4. No diving
    5. No glass
    Click. Point. Chute.

Lets talk covers.....replacement covers.....time for a new one here at casa-de-dawgs pad.....10 years old, sun faded, broken seams allowing h20/snow/etc into the cover, torn straps etc......

was thinking about using these guys - anyone use before? or other suggestions....

https://www.myspacover.com/products/rounded-rectangle

I’m trying the @ease. It came with my tub. In theory it makes sense. I bought an additional pack of 3 canisters off Amazon

However - I’m not sure it’s any different from just a bobber with chlorine pellets in it... You still have to shock it. You still have to adjust the PH. And I keep having to add additional chlorine to get it back to where it needs to be. Etc...

Once I burn through my current supply I’ll probably just go with a traditional chlorine system.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    We used bromine for year, switched to chlorine abut 2 years ago, soooo much easier. We change the water every 3-4 months. We use the hot tub 3-4 times a week and year round.

Soap is an issue in suits. wife (keeper of the hot tub chemicals) prefers everyone bathing suit-less.

Hot Tub Rules:
    1. The hot tub is never a bad idea
    2. No drama in the hot tub
    3. What happens in the hot tub stays in the hot tub
    4. No diving
    5. No glass
    Same. Chlorine is cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Lets talk covers.....replacement covers.....time for a new one here at casa-de-dawgs pad.....10 years old, sun faded, broken seams allowing h20/snow/etc into the cover, torn straps etc......

was thinking about using these guys - anyone use before? or other suggestions....

https://www.myspacover.com/products/rounded-rectangle
    Got one in May of '17. No complaints as of yet...

Those covers look good and are reasonable price. I bought a new cover from bullfrog and it was 350$ with a slight discount.

Back is a little tight this morning. Need to go tub.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

When people say they use chlorine, can I get some specifics since I'm a jong on this topic? Like using xyz liquid and throw a bit in everyday or ???

This year we were here full time w/ zoom school/work. In the future it's gonna be more like 2 to 3 or 4 days per week in the winter, and then very rarely in the summer. I'm trying to decide what to do this summer. We might not come for a month or two. Drain it and just keep the cover on? Is that bad for the tub? Thanks!
    He who has the most fun wins!

When people say they use chlorine, can I get some specifics since I'm a jong on this topic? Like using xyz liquid and throw a bit in everyday or ???
    Yep - I use plain bleach for the chlorine part of water management.

Hot tubs. A discussion.

When I bought my house, the previous owners left a 110v Hot Spot tub. Supposedly it works, it’s empty, and I’m trying to determine if I want to start messing around with it or not.

I’ll admit, the chemistry part seems awfully fiddly. Adding chems daily for the first week, needing to figure the balance of five different properties (PH, CH, TA, FC, CYA) *plus* calculating precise amounts of chemicals to change those properties, checking the Free Chlorine before and after every soak. Shocking every week at least. Draining every few months. Then all you folks say “it’s so easy!”

If driving your car required you to change oil every other time, someone would have engineered a better solution.

Not related to this ^^^

I’m having an issue with the GFCI tripping over and over today. We have a Jacuzzi 300 model and the code is TRIP GFCI OVERHEAT CALL JACUZZI SERVICE

That’s a new one. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    When I bought my house, the previous owners left a 110v Hot Spot tub. Supposedly it works, it’s empty, and I’m trying to determine if I want to start messing around with it or not.

I’ll admit, the chemistry part seems awfully fiddly. Adding chems daily for the first week, needing to figure the balance of five different properties (PH, CH, TA, FC, CYA) *plus* calculating precise amounts of chemicals to change those properties, checking the Free Chlorine before and after every soak. Shocking every week at least. Draining every few months. Then all you folks say “it’s so easy!”

If driving your car required you to change oil every other time, someone would have engineered a better solution.
    Cumulatively, in four months I’ll have maybe 10-15 minutes of chemical maintenance and another couple hours of changing the water but most of that I can be doing other stuff while it drains and fills.

Maybe I’m outlier and gross but I don’t check free chlorines every time I sit in it.