Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    If you have a means to move it and the technical ability to replace a pump or heater, consider buying used...

It's pretty common to see them cheap on CL... maybe the pump to died, homeowners sold the house, new owner wants nothing to do with a dead tub, wants it gone cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    If you have a means to move it and the technical ability to replace a pump or heater, consider buying used...

It's pretty common to see them cheap on CL... maybe the pump to died, homeowners sold the house, new owner wants nothing to do with a dead tub, wants it gone cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    This. Used tubs are so cheap that if you're at all handy, you can end up with a nice tub for well under a grand.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

If going new, go for space versus features. Ive always gotten great deals on hot tubs. Skip the built in stereo and tv stuff since that crap always seems to break on people. A basic hot tub can be had for cheap if you go light on features. Want the sparkly waterfall with a flat screen tv, built-in bar, snack dispenser and special bj nozzle, then be prepared to pay out the nose. I got my last hot tub for free in exchange for a computer repair. Just needed to refinish the siding and swap the pillows. Easy peasy! Been working great for years. (They are super easy to repair for what it's worth)

Sent from my Moto G Play using TGR Forums mobile app

Hotsprings tub. Not cheap but was worth it for us. Well above 6k though... try around 10k ish size dependent. Go bigger than you think.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Hotsprings tub. Not cheap but was worth it for us. Well above 6k though... try around 10k ish size dependent. Go bigger than you think.

Mine is a Tiger River Spas. Same factory/materials/quality as Hotsprings just minus some features to save $. Super high quality build... why my used one is gtg!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Go bigger than you think.

Quite true! Way too many people get dinky hot tubs. When a hot tub description states it's for 5-6, it's more like 4 realistically. Kind of like how tents say they're an "4-man" tent when you're looking at a tiny dome tent.

Also screw getting it online or at Costco. Support your local retailer since they'll let you try it out, help you, and you can really see what you're getting beforehand. They'll often treat you well on price if you give them the opportunity.

Sent from my Moto G Play using TGR Forums mobile app

Size... I mean... yea its like a tent... a 3 person tent is what you want if you don't want to spoon with the other person, but a 2 person is fine with your intimate partner.

It's not like a public hot tub. Who are you and your SO getting in the 6 person hot tub with? 4 fatass strangers where grazing elbows is icky? Or 2 drunk couples who you are very close friends with?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Question/Comment:

I've always found the noise of hot tub jets distracting and anything but relaxing so if an when I ever sat in one I left them off which people claim defeats the purpose - actually had a bitch of a woman go off on me at a club once for asking if we could leave the jets off while I finished soaking (I was already in the tub alone when she join me).

So am I alone in my disdain of the jet noise or was that woman right that there is no point if you don't use the jets?
    I am with KQ on this. I find the jets to be a distraction. I bought one for my house in Missoula, had it built into my deck. I deliberately bought one with minimal jets, plus no fancy seats. Just a big round tub similar to that Japenese one posted above, just made of rubbery plastic, not wood. Soooooo relaxing just sitting in there with steaming hot water up to my chin and watching the stars.

Edit to add: added almost 100 bucks a month to my electric bill. (Montana has expensive electricity)
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

We have a Jacuzzi J335 and have been very happy with.
    • Avoid no name brands.
    • As they say there is not much more expensive than a free (or cheap) hot tub.
    • Cot to fill it is about $25.00 in our water bill, 3-4 times a year.
    • Electric cost is about $20/mo.
    • The more you use it, the better the water stays
    • Avoid all body oils and and detergents in clothing...avoid all clothing
    • Helpful site: https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    2 drunk couples who you are very close friends with?
    this
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    this
    I'm thinking more the wife and her girlfriend after too many drinks, and then limited space is a good thing!

Plus I am sinking it into a deck, and don't want to eat up too much deck space.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    this
    Xactly

I've had 7ppl in our 5 person tub and it was fine. Just had to add water the next day

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Xactly

I've had 7ppl in our 5 person tub and it was fine. Just had to add water the next day
    A lot of water can get "splashed" out.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Cot to fill it is about $25.00 in our water bill, 3-4 times a year.
    ]
    Holy crap. Mine is on the larger size at 500 gallons, I’m no mathematician, or dentist, but that sounds really expensive. And I try and do every 2 months. Oh so good and fresh

Hot tubs. A discussion.

Water chemistry is paramount in a spa. This is very similar to the BBB method in swimming pools.
    https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/i...in-a-nutshell/

If your careful with your chemistry, you really shouldn’t have to change your water more than twice a year.
    Yes, you need a Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/K-2006-TAYLOR...%257Ciid%253A2

Do some tubs have, digital PH readouts?

Seems fairly simple, and necessary.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

×2 on Hotsprings brand, our Envoy model is 13 years old and has been super-reliable, only maintenece has been replacing filters and a cover. *knocks wood* Buying a higher-end tub typically provides more jets but also better insulation, in Montana our bill is <$20 a month more with the tub.

I apply 303 protectant 3 times a year to my cover and got 9 years out of the first one, they aren't cheap. I agree with the home improvement comment, best upgrade we could have made!!

Bought a Baja whitewater in 2005. Turned the thing on and have used it almost every day since. I replace the cover every 2/3 years. We almost never use the jets anymore. Basically a soaking tub. I asked the tub guy if I just got lucky on realizability and he said running the thing constantly is the way to use it. Draining it and using it seasonally is why the break down. Interesting I thought.

I think think the lounger is useless and takes up a lot of seating area. You just end up floating off of it anyway. The little foam sponge body oil sucker uppers is the best preventative product going. Cuts down on filter cleaning and refilling. Mine gets heavy use and I drain, clean and refill 4-5 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I've stayed in this chalet in Fernie. I tried to dig up a photo, but can find the drive that its on.
    Alkalinity is too low, bromine will turn the water yellow without the proper alkalinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Edit to add: added almost 100 bucks a month to my electric bill. (Montana has expensive electricity)
    Yeah, just look what Whitefish is charging PR!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

We are on our 4th hot tub, we soak at least 5 days a week, went cheap on 1st one (Costco), medium name brand on #2, and the last two have been hot springs. Would not even consider something else. They are super legit and worth the premium, imo, and certainly in the wife’s opinion as well. We use the silver and change the water every quarter. We use it so much, to change the water less would be gross, again imo. But you’re oxidizing skin, etc. as to the jet noise...wife loves the jets, the teens both want quiet, I’m 50/50

Thanks for the wiring info - I need to dig in deeper and see what we have at the house. We have kind of weird wiring: there's a main panel, and about 6 sub panels, and all the wiring is run in metal flex conduit. I have no idea why it was built this way. Luckily the last owner labeled every breaker switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks for the wiring info - I need to dig in deeper and see what we have at the house. We have kind of weird wiring: there's a main panel, and about 6 sub panels, and all the wiring is run in metal flex conduit. I have no idea why it was built this way. Luckily the last owner labeled every breaker switch.
    We had an extra 220v in the garage that we weren't using and we ran a line from that to the tub. I am by no means handy in this area and I was able to do it.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What do I need to do to get 220V to the tub area? I have a household electrical panel inside, on a wall near where I would put a tub outside. How do I determine whether it can be wired in through that panel or if something more involved is needed?Been thinking about getting a hot tub for a while. Just haven't done anything about it yet.
    You need a 50 or 60A 240V breaker pair plus a subpanel by the hot tub. A breaker over 40A is a double-double. It'll take up 4 spot in your panel. There has to be a subpanel/disconnect more than 10' and less than 20' from the hot tub. They're a standard item and have room for an extra 6-8 breakers for lights and other accessories. The panel needs to be accessible for safety and servicing the hot tub.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.