Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    As far as chemicals.... are there any that are salt water yet? I'm allergic to something in hot tubs (i'm assuming chlorine or bromine) and i'll usually get a rash if i'm in a tub too long which has obviously put me off of buying one. Is there anyway to not use such harsh chemicals and still keep it clean?
    When I rented a place for a bit on Bainbridge Island, there was a small salt water pool right on the edge of the water. Sometimes the pump would break down, but it was easy to fix. Damn that little pool was nice!! It was actually the biggest reason i paid the obnoxious rates for the place...that pool!! It was all tile and slate and probably 60 years old. Nothing was so nice as to ride off the ferry and enjoy a refreshing (read COLD) dip in that little pool after work...listening to the birds chirp in the evergreens directly overhanging the pool!

Bullfrog any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    As far as chemicals.... are there any that are salt water yet? I'm allergic to something in hot tubs (i'm assuming chlorine or bromine) and i'll usually get a rash if i'm in a tub too long which has obviously put me off of buying one. Is there anyway to not use such harsh chemicals and still keep it clean?
    Before the local PUD took over our private water company they used to chlorinate the water so heavily--to make up the lack of a filtration plant--that the hot tub tested over chlorinated right out of the tap. Killed fish too. A lot of people put way too much chemical in their tubs.

Salt Water tubs still use chlorine as a sanitizer. It’s just derived thru electrolysis.
    If you take good care of your tub, you don’t need that many chemicals.

Scottytub

Last edited by scottyb; 11-06-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    watch out for snakes

still working on the fence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010411.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	848.5 KB 
ID:	215764

BUMP

We are in the market for a hot tub. Any brands recommended or to stay away from? Looked at Caldera, and Arctic spas so far just because they are local to us.

Looking for something durable and energy efficient. Don't need a million jets or fancy add ons, just something that runs well. 4-6 person.

Still not big on sitting in Human Dirt Soup but don't let me stop you.

Helps build up your immune system.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Since it'd be me and the wife 99.9% of the time, I'm ok with it. Shower before entry, plus the automatic chemical maintaining stuff these days is pretty sweet.

But not asking about the sanitary factor, more about what brands work well.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Shower before entry,
    Pfff. Amateur. Hot tub counts as a shower.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Give Calspas a look. Mine has been very nice although eventually you will need to replace items most notably the cover.

Spas also have electronics, pumps with motors ad seals all which may have to be replaced or rebuilt at some point. Check how much a pump/motor and the mother board costs to replace for units you are interested in. Most fixes will be DIY if you are minimally competent.

If you are not willing to do the water chemistry, which is very easy, then do not get one. An ozone generator helps.

Spas that have a therapeutic rating deserve your consideration.

BTW, chicks dig outside showers. I think its a southern thing but the spectator potential should not be over looked.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    If you are not willing to do the water chemistry, which is very easy, then do not get one. An ozone generator helps.

BTW, chicks dig outside showers. I think its a southern thing but the spectator potential should not be over looked.
    Yeah, I was looking at the ones that have the auto chemical thingy "Spa Boy" etc. but yeah, it'll be well kept.

Outdoor showers aren't really possible most of the year where we live or else I'd be all over that.

There's a good discussion over here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/319610-Hot-Tub-considering-any-advice-brands-etc?highlight=hot+tub

Like I said there, Hot Springs Spas have done me right, might be worth a look. Went for the ACE salt water system. A little more expensive but it's awesome. I got mine around this time of the year, and they were doing a big sale ahead of the new models landing so I scored a big discount.
    Has the right number of jets/seats/lights but nothing out of control.
    They even threw in a couple floating koozie's

You will not regret getting a tub man. Game changer. Hard days at work, on the hill, on the mat, or in the gym .. mental and physical recovery times benefit.
    Let us know what you get!

Arctic were the best insulated tubs on the market when we looked several years ago. Ended up with another brand and were surprised by the impact it had on our electric bill during the winter in particular. If I had it to do over I'd give Arctic a good hard look.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Our Bullfrog small unit works well. I have no idea how it compares to others.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bought a little X-Spa-Dition in 2,000. Replaced the pump and heater unit twice in 5 years. 3rd time it died we just let it go since we were adding on to the house in the spot where it was sitting in disrepair. Anyway, to me it was kind of like owning a boat. Way more maintenance and repairs than most expect when buying one.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

good input here as usual.

I bought a then 3 year old used caldera for $375 on CL - now hot springs I think. was a smokin deal...new owner of house didnt want it. moved it twice and now have replaced 2 pumps and the control pad (top side). 8 yo and running strong! likely not balanced chemicals early on led to pump premature failures.

I still use it ave 4x a week. so awesome after a cold day on the slopes!

I don't think deals are still out there or less frequent for used and I see lots of crap when helping buddies.

we will get the artic cover which I think is 5 or so inches. also, a buddy has a warrantied artic up here in summit. huge list of problems...multiple failures including 2 pumps and a couple weeks ago the circuit board (or at least that's what they thought) in a couple years

The main problem with a cover is they will eventually UV degrade and leak, when this happens the insulation will become water logged and not function any moar. A cover for the cover will elongate the life of the cover.

Putting the spa inside will make things last longer however the true place for the tub is outside so you can look at the stars or snow while sitting in the hot water swirling around your tired muscles and bones.

Definitely very high in the list of amenities I look for when booking a slopeside or walk to slopes ski house. One of the first things I check upon arrival as well. Want it to be HOT by the following evening when our legs and back are toast.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Every hot tub I have had is a giant pain in the ass. That's all I have to add.

sent from some fucking device using some fucking program.
    sigless.

We had a calspa that lasted about 20 years and could have gone a while longer. We replaced it with a Hot Spot (lower priced Hot Springs) which we're happy with so far--1 year. The tube of silver that goes into the filter tube has made maintenance much much simpler. I add a little Chlorine each use, shock it with MPS weekly, and it stays clean and clear. Water lasts about 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sauna >> hot tub

Not even close IMO.

This..... especially true in public situations.

I have said it before. I'll say it again. Get the one with a time machine!