Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Has anyone mentioned a wood-fired?

I can't be the only one who's got an issue with marinating in other peoples' dirt.

Admittedly gross but nice after a day on the hill.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread (I know I usually say the opposite), but that said, nobody cares about max temp? That is the defining stat of a good hot tub for me. Probably less so if you live in the south like the OP...much less so I guess. But still.

Otherwise do what Skiballs wishes for ( me too!) or save money and just crank your water tank up and take a bath, or get a jetted indoor tub. Or I guess get a jacuzzi, which I’ll never understand the point of.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I can't be the only one who's got an issue with marinating in other peoples' dirt.
    That’s why you have your own tub.
    I can control how many chemicals I use and
    my dirt is special!

We got over 20 years out of a Calspa. Had to replace the heater twice I think, the timer once, some minor repairs on the shell, some leaks which I had to fix myself because the repair guys around here won't touch anything that old. We're replacing it--don't ask me why, ask my wife, but since it had to be drained and moved for some construction good chance it won't work again. Next one is a Hot Spot--a little under 7K not counting crane, electric work (if we can get an electrician, otherwise we'll do it ourselves) and disposal of the old one. I'd have gone with a Hot Springs but the models in the size we're looking at--350 gal--all have lounge seats which I don't want.

I don't like the jets. The jet setting on ours froze years ago so we only get jets for the back and feet in one location. And no air--that froze up too. We'd have fixed those things but we don't use the jets enough to bother. I hate it when I'm alone or alone with friends in a community spa and someone comes in and turns on the jets without asking. The person with seniority gets to choose. The people who turn on the jets without asking are the same ones who change channels on the gym tv without asking. I basically hate noise. Silence is great underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I am with KQ on this. I find the jets to be a distraction. I bought one for my house in Missoula, had it built into my deck. I deliberately bought one with minimal jets, plus no fancy seats. Just a big round tub similar to that Japenese one posted above, just made of rubbery plastic, not wood. Soooooo relaxing just sitting in there with steaming hot water up to my chin and watching the stars.
    Care to share the make/model/cost?

You all don't get dehydrated sitting in those hot baths?

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Has anyone mentioned a wood-fired?
    I've used a wood fired hot tub quite a bit. They're better than not having a tub but the drawbacks are significant: delay to soak, less control over water temp being the main ones. If I had an off the grid place I'd put one in.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I am in the market for a 5-6 person hot tub, and wanted to tap the TRG knowledge keg.

Any stand out brands?

Anyone have one with a stereo built in? I'm thinking a nice bluetooth speaker, is just as good.

Will 5-6k buy a good one?

5-6k?

I thought you were a baller!

Better sell more used cars.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread (I know I usually say the opposite), but that said, nobody cares about max temp? That is the defining stat of a good hot tub for me. Probably less so if you live in the south like the OP...much less so I guess. But still.

Otherwise do what Skiballs wishes for ( me too!) or save money and just crank your water tank up and take a bath, or get a jetted indoor tub. Or I guess get a jacuzzi, which I’ll never understand the point of.
    It still gets cold here. Feels colder here than in CO. Summer won't see as much use though.

My bathroom has a big, jetted tub. I don't take baths though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    5-6k?

I thought you were a baller!

Better sell more used cars.
    So because I can afford it, I should buy something I don't need?

Great advice sport.

Go take your Ritalin.
    Last edited by Beer Drinker; 10-30-2017 at 04:36 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

In the summer I set my tub to 90-94, iffin it gets over that I just run the garden hose into it for a bit and the temp comes right down.

I find it much more comfortable and I get moar use from it during the warmer months.
    watch out for snakes

^^^ That's how Mrs Cruiser's relatives down in Texas do it. They throttle it way down during the summer and use it like a cool tub when it's 95* and 90% humidity. I've had more than a couple of beers in the cool tub on the back porch down there.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    You would like the traditional Japanese hot tubs. Super retro too!

I would love one of those. I do have a jacuzzi tub in the house - nice and deep. Love to soak in it. Rarely if ever use the jets.

I'll tell you what I'm really into - steam saunas! Oh man I love those! Esp. with a nice eucalyptus infusion. Soooooooooo wonderful!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I'll tell you what I'm really into - steam saunas! Oh man I love those! Esp. with a nice eucalyptus infusion. Soooooooooo wonderful!
    I love those. Eucalyptus/menthol-ish smells included.

Parents new crib in tahoe has a sauna that I want to convert into a steam room.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

New place we are moving into has a steam room. Should be nice after skiing all day. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

do not allow young people to drink bottled beer in the spa. Stepping on a beer cap is worse than legos.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    You need a 50 or 60A 240V breaker pair plus a subpanel by the hot tub.
    Some hot tubs are 220V/30A. Some can be wired 110V/30A. There are even some smaller plug & play 110V/15A hot tubs, although they take a long time to heat water after filling.

Too lazy to read the whole thread. Granted we are more than a thousand miles from any real skiing; but we get a pretty good change-of-seasons here. first house had a hot-tub. I used it regular for maybe the first year. the next five years. not-so-much. and jezus what a pain in the ass to keep running. 2nd / current house had one. I took a chainsaw to it drug it to the landfill in pieces during the frist month. these are the "built into the deck" variety.

NEVER want to own another one. Just my $.02.
    "Can't you see..."

Inherited a 2 person Hotspring Solana. It's a 110/15A. They make a 30A upgrade if you need but it already keeps the temp at 104* in the winter. Power bill is less than $10/month more than pre-hot tub. Can drain and fill in 2-3 hrs. Takes another 10 or so hrs to get up to temp. I will only sit in it if it's just me or me and my gal-it shares foot space for the two seats. When empty, two people can easily load it on a trailer. We drop the temp as low as it will go in the summer. We use it 4-6 days a week in the winter. So nice after a little 5* night skiing session.

I know this post answers nothing for the original poster but thought I would share in case anyone is looking for something like it for two.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I agree, marinating in people soup is disgusting.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    the fact it hasn’t gone nsfw is cause enough for question.
    I used to think hot tubs were for drunken orgies. More like trying to get the body moving in the morning or keeping it from seizing up after skiing or hiking. Although we did try to have sex in a friend's hot tub in the back yard while she was out shopping. Things were going quite well until she came back early.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I agree, marinating in people soup is disgusting.
    That’s what the chlorine is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk