Home Weather Stations

Just got the Acurite 5 in 1 weather station for the house.

https://www.acurite.com/pro-color-we...er-sensor.html

Measures winds, rain, temp, wind direction, humidity, barometric pressure. Apparently after 14 days it can start forecasting 12-24hrs out.

Anybody else have one? Any tips?

Home Weather Stations

Looks sweet!

I live in a protected area, so I didn’t need the ananometer.
    The Skicos report has the winds 4K above me.

I just hooked this up today.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LW...rb_top?ie=UTF8

I just want to roll over in bed and get the basics.

Nice.

I like having the wind speed and rain gauge. I live on a ridge and the weather apps I use are never accurate for my house.

Because of the anemometer and rain gauge I have it in an open area so I notice the sun causes the temp to be about 5+ degrees higher than in the shade. I have a thermometer in the shade I compare it to.

I live in a fairly arid region and wouldn’t need the rain gauge often. I have a glass one in the back yard.

My station can handle up to three sensors. I might get another one someday.

Mine is an older wireless capable model, but I run it hardwired for reliability. Also, if I recall right, the wired setup takes more frequent readings for some of the parameters such as wind speed. I had it in a box for several years before installing it but doubt I would go without having now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171029_115150.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	214810 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171029_115203.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	214811

two kinds of tech are available I'm told:

The cheap kind and the dig thermom only goes to -21.8F and is fronted as being good.

The spendy kind where the thermom goes colder than -21.8F.

Where I live it regularly gets colder than the limitations of the cheap models. Even the spendy ones are limited by poor tech.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Apparently after 14 days it can start forecasting 12-24hrs out.
    Huh? By extrapolating trend in pressure change? Sounds like a gimmick.

Otherwise, looks like a fun thingamajig.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Huh? By extrapolating trend in pressure change? Sounds like a gimmick.

Otherwise, looks like a fun thingamajig.
    Yea I'm skeptical but will be interesting to see how accurate it is, it's still in learning mode now but it knows when it's going to rain, snow, or be sunny based on pressure and humidity but I wouldn't call it forecasting yet.

I want to connect it to weather underground, already registered it and have a channel ID but I don't have it connected to internet, doesn't have wifi, has to be connected via USB to a connected PC.

But of the best kind... I'm in need of a home weather station. Preferably an IoT device that can serve me air temp, wind speed, wind direction, hourly precipitation, hourly snowfall and barometric pressure. Oh, waitaminute, my local avalanche center already has one nearby that does all that (and more)...

But, still, I want one... for science. Because... reasons (namely I'm a yuuuge weather nerd and I'd love to apply various machine learning algos to suse out short-to-medium-term forecasts)

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post

But of the best kind... I'm in need of a home weather station. Preferably an IoT device that can serve me air temp, wind speed, wind direction, hourly precipitation, hourly snowfall and barometric pressure. Oh, waitaminute, my local avalanche center already has one nearby that does all that (and more)...

But, still, I want one... for science. Because... reasons (namely I'm a yuuuge weather nerd and I'd love to apply various machine learning algos to suse out short-to-medium-term forecasts)
    Yea, I just like watching the wind thingy spin.

The unit I posted doesn't measure snowfall, but the rain gauge is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Just got the Acurite 5 in 1 weather station for the house.

https://www.acurite.com/pro-color-we...er-sensor.html

Measures winds, rain, temp, wind direction, humidity, barometric pressure. Apparently after 14 days it can start forecasting 12-24hrs out.

Anybody else have one? Any tips?
    I 've had the same one for years now and have had zero issues. I bought the module to connect it to my home wifi network, so its great to check the conditions when I am away and turn up / down the thermostat etc. We moved this summer and I set it up at the new house and its still going strong... just need to figure out how to get it to talk to my sprinkler controllers in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I 've had the same one for years now and have had zero issues. I bought the module to connect it to my home wifi network, so its great to check the conditions when I am away and turn up / down the thermostat etc. We moved this summer and I set it up at the new house and its still going strong... just need to figure out how to get it to talk to my sprinkler controllers in the summer.
    You mind sending me a link for the wifi module? I'd love to hook my up.

Don’t have a link but google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Don’t have a link but google is your friend.
    Hey that Google thing is kinda cool, just type something in there and it searches the entire internet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T5U1JRE...a-317989815347

Out of stock .

I really wanted one a few years ago and was about to drop some money on one.

But then, I realized that a few of my neighbors had them linked up to the Weather Underground network and I could just check their info for free. That's good enough for me.

But they do offer some good advice for buying:
    https://www.wunderground.com/weather...n/overview.asp

http://www.sandrah.biz/hudsonbaymoun...er/weather.php

we got this one up at the ski kill, really handy it shows a 29cm day today, but i just finished a 16 hr white knuckle drive over nite so... gona miss it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^what's that one using for a snow depth sensor? Is it automated or based on the webcam?

I think if you read the site it tells you, I believe it is converting moisture to cms, its usually very accurate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^my bad, didn't read until the end. You are correct.