Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What Beacon now?

Well, search function failed me and cant find the old thread so if someone bumps it, will delete this.

Running old analog, need to get into the present. What beacon you like and why?

Tracker 3. Easy to use. Fast. Reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Running old analog, need to get into the present. What beacon you like and why?
    You have been under thinking this. No need to overthink it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I went with the Pulse. Its red, and you know what that means.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Any of the latest gen are pretty easy to use. Don’t over think it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    This. Very thorough and objective. You can't go wrong with any of the five transceivers rated 5 stars

Tracker 3

3rded on checking beaconreviews.com

I upgraded my Barryvox Opto3000 to a DSP Pro last season. I dig it. But I probably would've been just as happy with a Pulse. Just happened to find a better deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    this is perfect, thanks for link and all feedback.

Get one that you turn on at the car and turn off at the bar. Tracker 3.

Ortovox is stll running a promo. Retire any beacon and get 75 towards a replacement

Sent from my XT1053 using TGR Forums mobile app

It was my impression that some of the early ones were pricey and overloaded with stuff you may not want, by the time I bought my element (stripped down pulse) it cost about the same as my F1 did 10 or 15 years before

I have also used the 3+ and its also stripped down about the same price not sure about any of the others

so IMO digital pricing/ tech has caught up and one should upgrade

one of my guide buddies tells me its not unusual for an absolute newbie to do better on beacon practise with a digital he has just given them than a guy who owns and practises with his personal analog,

some ops won't even let you use your analog, they will give you a digital

i clip mine to the tab in my softshells pocket and I turn it on when I put the pants on ...batteries are cheap eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like Pieps. Mammuts are great too.

I had multiple S1 failures and no longer trust Ortovox.

Trackers just aren't as good. People seem to think they're easier to use. But they're not.

Never even held an Arva.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It was my impression that some of the early ones were pricey and overloaded with stuff you may not want, by the time I bought my element (stripped down pulse) it cost about the same as my F1 did 10 or 15 years before

I have also used the 3+ and its also stripped down about the same price not sure about any of the others

so IMO digital pricing/ tech has caught up and one should upgrade

one of my guide buddies tells me its not unusual for an absolute newbie to do better on beacon practise with a digital he has just given them than a guy who owns and practises with his personal analog,

some ops won't even let you use your analog, they will give you a digital

i clip mine to the tab in my softshells pocket and I turn it on when I put the pants on ...batteries are cheap eh?
    No guide or op should let you use an analog beacon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Another Tracker 3 vote. Big upgrade over my Tracker 2.

The signal suppression feature on the T3 is significantly different than the marking feature on other top end beacons. It's worth looking into if you are interested in optimizing your chances of multiple burial recoveries.

Ortovox was recently having a promotion where you turn in your old spit-in-the-face-of-your-touring-buddies beacon and they give you $75 off anew one.

I've got a Pulse because I like the extra features and I trust the beacon built by the little swiss guy that uses it every day and is always trying to make it better.

Yea the S1 is weird and mine has trouble bracketing. It can be off by a foot when placed on top of another beacon. Coarse search is just stupid. I have a S3 which does what it should well, but I prefer a tracker 3.

I am a fan of the simple digital beacons that just do location. Pulse, DPS, 3+, tracker 3. I observe students in AVI 1 struggle a little with multiple burials, on all beacons a little. Multiple burials require some problem solving and big picture understanding. But I see people do better with the mark function over the SP on the Tracker 3. I often see people get drawn back to their last location, on the tracker.

We will be testing all the beacons this winter for our team to use in rescues. Working on setting up a random speed test to level the playing field and find out what is the fastest. But the bigger factor is people are comfortable using what they are familiar with. And as long as it is not analogue I would rather have someone on the beacon they know how to use than the best beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    We will be testing all the beacons this winter for our team to use in rescues. Working on setting up a random speed test to level the playing field and find out what is the fastest.
    Please report back after you do -- would love to read this report, especially if you have the new Mammut offerings in the mix. Love my Pulse Barryvox, but wife might need an upgrade soon.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    I would rather have someone on the beacon they know how to use than the best beacon.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    This
    ^^^^^^^

I like the DSP Sport and Pro, both get good ratings on Beacon Reviews. The DSP Sport is also pretty easy to find on sale for mid $200 range. I had the lanyard attachment point break off of my DSP Sport and they replaced it with a Pro, great customer service experience.

I’ll do my best to remember when we do the test.