Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Adding: It's great that we have these discussions. Greater knowledge and better understanding re devices are good things. Nonetheless it's important that we remind ourselves that beacons are a tool to be used after a slide. Safe travel in avy-prone terrain starts with making decisions before we set out, reading terrain, assessing snow pack and exercising good judgment -- and that includes sometimes turning back. We cannot allow talk about technical aspects of avy beacons get in the way of the bigger picture re safe travel in the mountains.
    +2. Nerding out on the tech and carrying a beacon/shovel/probe has almost become a badge to identify "knowledgeable" bc users. Silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    . . . but certainly don't leave your description to "NiMh" when that encompasses a lot of less reliable consumer batteries than what you're really talking about. I'm intrigued by the Eneloops, but will likely make the switch in the radios and GPS for a few years first.
    Fair point. Most brands of NiMH are garbage, made in a single garbage Chinese factory.

Eneloop, Powerex or Sony NiMH cells are high quality and very reliable, moreso than Duracell alky cells IME. (There may be other high quality reliable NiMH cells but I lack sufficient experience to opine.) IME 2015 and earlier Duracell-branded NiMH cells are garbage (although I've read that a recently introduced Duracell-branded NiMH cell might be a private labeled Eneloop). I've also read that there's a new Energizer NiMH cell that is reliable, but I have no experience with those, and my view would be tainted per terrible experience with older garbage Energizer NiMH cells. If in doubt, just get Eneloop regulars (white, green or blue).

FWIW, I use Powerex in my headlamp and GPSr for week-long mountain trips because they have the highest capacity, e.g., 2700 mAh AA or better, but they are not LSD thus require charging before each trip. Powerex cells are very high quality and reliable. All my Powerex cells have charged and discharged to better than spec capacity through hundreds of charge cycles. Eneloop Pro fka Eneloop XX are higher capacity (2400 mAh or better) but are warranted to last only 500 (full) charging cycles vs. 2000 for regular Eneloops. No need for Eneloop Pros for avy beacons, which are low current draws.

One of the great things re high quality NiMH cells and a smart charger w/readout: I know how much current a device uses on each trip, which is great info for planning longer trips. And as I said above, another big plus is the ability to start each trip with fully charged cells in all my devices. (More than once I've assisted others with dead alky cells in their headlamps.)

If you want to know more, check out CandlePowerForums. Lots of very smart engineer types and battery ubernerds there who do objective testing and post results. Great resource.

Again, if you don't have the NiMH knack/interest, and don't want to mess with a smart charger w/readout, use alkys and change @50%.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 11-03-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Seems the latest Mammuts are geared to take lithium batteries or alkaline. That's nice - the extra life of the lithium is nice to have, and they're a bit lighter too.

I asked my daughter if she's had any issues with the DSP switching modes and she said no - and even complained a bit about the fussiness of switching modes compared to her previous Tracker 2. But, she does use the harness (one reason we chose the DSP was the harness fits her amazingly well) so I can't speak to using it in a pocket. I have used the beacon during practice sessions and I never thought "oh, that might be an issue." But, I was of course, busy with other thoughts.

I really like the processor in the S1+ that guides you directly to the victim, and the "map" style screen is super easy to use, but I found the flip-phone style case clunky and not ergonomic to me. Still an awesome beacon though.

The various Tracker beacons use LEDs that are bright and easy to use. I have little time using a Tracker 3, so I can't comment on it. My old Tracker 2 does the job, but newer beacons have better range and better "extra" features.

I've used the DSP and DSP Pro in practice sessions, liked them both a lot. I think in the "inexpensive" beacon category, the DSP Sport is one of the best buys - you get a ton of beacon for the money. When BD took over Pieps I braced myself a little, but it seems that BD has had a positive effect on the beacons.

And hey guys, it's snowing a lot in the Canadian Rockies! I'm going next week to visit my daughter (she finished high school this summer and has now moved to Banff) and we're going skiing! So, even though it's a beacon thread, here's a little ski stoke. My then 15-yr old kid skiing on the Wapta Icefields...

I still prefer a simple to use beacon, like the tracker.

I think the multiple burials are almost 100 percent avoidable, ski one at the time.

Which is good to do even in non avalanche conditions. Ie, if you fall, don't run into your partner.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    But fuck you guys I’m rescuing her first.
    Well, okay...I guess I'll let you go before me then.

I was just thinking this was the thread that taught me to always keep family members together in the backcountry. Seems obvious enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I still prefer a simple to use beacon, like the tracker.

I think the multiple burials are almost 100 percent avoidable, ski one at the time.

Which is good to do even in non avalanche conditions. Ie, if you fall, don't run into your partner.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    I really like the bright LED system of the Trackers. That said, the LCD arrow of the DSP Sport is very intuitive and easy to use as well.

Interestingly, we had a risk management discussion on my AST2 course about skiing with family members and the dynamic it introduces.

If I were skiing with my daughter, and she was involved in an avalanche and there was a 99% chance of a secondary event, it would make no difference, I'm going to try to rescue her.

If it were my wife, then there's no way I'm going after her in the above scenario. Not leaving my daughter with no parents.

Complicated shit.

Anyone have an opinion on the Pieps Micro?

r.e the DSP - is the Pro battery life really 2x the Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on the Pieps Micro?
    Oh yes we do!

Steve and I spent a looong time going over the edits on this one:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...PiepsMicro.asp

Here's my executive summary in the form of a review at Skimo Co:
    https://skimo.co/pieps-micro-beacon#tab-review
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

What Beacon now?

My wife and i both use the micro. We agree with Jon S. Works very well, but keep it in the bag, or in the harness, as it needs proximity for the proximity sensor to work. My wife likes the harness very much, (comfortable, easy to use, can’t forget it, etc.), but it’s a bit difficult to get the micro out of it. Practice. i use the bag and keep it in a pocket, in the bag, but then leash it to a zipper pull on the pocket. We haven’t needed to use it, but we can feel the vibrations in practice.

Side note: We bought these last spring on sale on the BD site because her Tracker wasn’t working. We were practicing on a slope, and i took her beacon and tossed it up ahead, so i knew were it was, and she could find it. She couldn’t find it because that simple vibration of the landing caused the battery or batteries to lose contact. Bending the metal contacts didn’t help, (and didn’t inspire much trust).
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

What's the beacon now? Buying new beacon for Euro BBI, have been using Arva but not a big fan. Lot of my friends have tracker 3s and seem to like them? What's the smallest/lightest beacon?

I am very impressed with the new Mammut Barryvox S, but haven't done a ton of searching with it yet.

I've got the same opinion as adrenalated. Bavvyvox S is very slick. I think it's almost got more features than I need. I believe the standard Barryvox has the same search range and marking capabilities but is ~150$ cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I believe the standard Barryvox has the same search range and marking capabilities but is ~150$ cheaper.
    Correct, but the graphical and audio interface during search is also different. Better or worse is a matter of opinion, but they aren't identical.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Correct, but the graphical and audio interface during search is also different. Better or worse is a matter of opinion, but they aren't identical.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification.

What Beacon now?

x3 or whatever on the new Barryvox. I’m happy with it so far. Very straightforward and easy to use. I need some practice with the multiple burial function but seemed to work great in the back yard.

I have a barryvox non s and it seems really solid, way better than my old ortyvox. Anyone know when the alpental beacon park will open, I could use some practice.

I was comparing my S1+ and S3+ with my friend's barryvox. The ortovoxes were all over the place and picked up ghost signals. I practice pretty often to feel comfortable with ortovoxes quirks. My friend who has very little practice was pretty much walking straight to the signal with his barryvox.

I'm still rocking the original Tracker - which means an upgrade is long overdue and is going to happen before the first tour this season.

Looks like Barryvox and been getting a lot of love on here. Any changes in that opinion? I've always mostly followed BCA's offerings. Is the Tracker 3 a decent alternative?

I know the best beacon is the one that you practice with and can use effectively, but just wanted to see what people's preferences are for brand/interface these days...
    go upside down.

T3 is a very good beacon. It seemed a bit faster (to change/update) than the new Barryvox when we were doing drills last weekend on the hill.

That said, the Barryvox range was noticeably better. And I like its controls more than the T3 (easier with mitts IME).

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I'm still rocking the original Tracker - which means an upgrade is long overdue and is going to happen before the first tour this season.

Looks like Barryvox and been getting a lot of love on here. Any changes in that opinion? I've always mostly followed BCA's offerings. Is the Tracker 3 a decent alternative?

I know the best beacon is the one that you practice with and can use effectively, but just wanted to see what people's preferences are for brand/interface these days...
    They all have pros and cons. I personally use a Barryvox S+ but most beacons are pretty damn good right now.

My BD guide seemed to blow everything out of the water during my avy class last year.

What's the smallest/lightest beacon?
    I believe...The PIEPS Micro is the smallest and lightest three-antenna beacon on the market.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I think the 3 popular ones are going to be the guide, the Barry, and the tracker. I used the older style Barry for years and it worked every time I tested it. Never had to actually pull someone out with it so can't say for how I interacted with it during an emergency. And that's probably the most important test. I did like that switch up top on the Barry. That design made me feel comfortable.

Shoveling though. I could add several seconds to this recovery thing by deadlifting a little more. I can't pretend like one beacon is going to give me any more time over another beacon. Running out of gas or just being too weak to do something is way worse imo.

Any thoughts on the new Tracker S? Seems to be almost identical to the Tracker 3 minus some of the more advanced features leaving more than enough functionality for the everyday backcountry skier.

I know the best beacon is the one you are most comfortable / effective with, but with some shops selling these at $255 it sure seems like an attractive value.

One other thing - I'm still likely to going to pick up a new Barryvox as I'm more comfortable with the switch. My biggest fear is having a beacon move to tracking mode while I'm getting tumbled in a slide and I'm just not in love with the positioning of the Tracker's switch in the top corner of the device. I know they still have a locking mechanism, but it just bothers me for some reason. I imagine I'm completely crazy in this concern?
    go upside down.