mystery ranch ski packs

Anyone fondled the new mystery ranch ski packs? Thoughts? I love the brand for backpacking-- the glacier is one of my favorite large packs of all time. Just wondering how these stack up and not many reviews out there.

Haven’t moved on to Fondling yet, still just eyeing it. I have their blackjack which is still amazing, and just picked up their new scree 32L. The new fit is the same as before. Newer lighter materials are nice. I would expect them to remain indestructible, but only time will tell.

Bozeman Backpack Showdown:
    Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    vs.
    http://www.jagear.biz/gear/ridge-pack

Glad to see they are back in the game(ski specific packs). There was a year or two there with a noticeable hole in their lineup.

No beta on new and improved saddle peak but 5+ years on my old version as my every day inbounds pack and really only noticeable wear is fabric color fading.

Durable as fuck.

I know the blackjack was expensive as fuck but would like to see another airbag from them in the saddle peak and 30L options. I don’t really see myself getting another ski pack under 40L without an airbag.

Would be nice if they made a 45L with a airbag.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Glad to see they are back in the game(ski specific packs). There was a year or two there with a noticeable hole in their lineup.

No beta on new and improved saddle peak but 5+ years on my old version as my every day inbounds pack and really only noticeable wear is fabric color fading.

Durable as fuck.
    Are the zipper pulls compatible to use my dexterous as fuck gloves?

MYSTERY RANCH Adds Skiers to Ambassador Team
    New Category of Ski/Snowboard Packs Arrive at Retail

Bozeman, MT. (October 30, 2017) – MYSTERY RANCH, the industry-leading pack company, welcomes two skiers to the brand’s Mountain Ambassador Team. Carston Oliver and Eric Balken both reside in Salt Lake City and both grew up skiing the steeps of Utah’s Wasatch Range.

“With the advent of our new ski and snowboard packs we’re excited to add both Carston and Eric to our Mountain Ambassador Team,” says Ryan Holm, Marketing Manager at MYSTERY RANCH. “These two will represent MYSTERY RANCH as they travel, ski, and work and provide us with feedback and inspiration to fuel further product development. Both hold down jobs and manage to get out daily to ski in the winter and play in the mountains the rest of the year. We love their work hard/play hard ethos and feel it truly reflects MYSTERY RANCH, which has long been the pack of choice for professionals.”

Eric Balken is as passionate about the southern Utah desert as he is about skiing. After earning a degree in Environmental Studies and Geography at the University of Utah, he started working for the Glen Canyon Institute. Now, a decade later, he is the Executive Director for the non-profit. “As the years go on, I value these places more and grow a deeper desire to protect them. I want to push myself to new places, skiing lines and mountains that test my abilities, and I want to push myself to reduce my impact and become a more effective environmentalist,” Balken says.

Carston Oliver mountain bikes in the off-season as hard as he skis during the winter. He has appeared in several ski films and in the pages of well-known outdoor and ski publications. A die-hard fan, Oliver has carried MYSTERY RANCH packs for years. He is excited to put the new 2017 packs to the test, especially the 21 Liter SADDLE PEAK, which was just awarded the Outside Magazine Gear of the Year award for packs.

MYSTERY RANCH’s new snow-specific packs range in size from the 15 Liter D-ROUTE to the 45 Liter PATROL 45 and are offered in men’s and women’s fit. Years of testing and countless face shots have dialed in fast, efficient ski, and snowboard carry, quick access to avy gear, snow-shedding fabrics, and multiple easy-access points. Whether for long alpine tours, local pow laps, or professional work as an avalanche forecaster, or patroller, MYSTERY RANCH snow packs are Built for the Mission.

About MYSTERY RANCH:
    MYSTERY RANCH is committed to building the finest load carriage equipment in the world. A product-driven company from the beginning, MYSTERY RANCH designs packs for the job that needs to get done, for the people committed to doing it, with the best materials available and the most durable construction methods that exist.

For more: http://mysteryranch.com #builtforthemission

Holy Toledo these ski packs are an arm and a leg
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Hahahaha spammer310 has actually taken to pasting his shitty copy into threads now.

Go away, no one wants to read your regurgitate.

Always wanted to grab a Mystery Ranch bag, super high quality gear from what i've been able to see first hand. I think my wife will kill me if i buy another ski bag.... sigh....

I will have 1OE so I will report... I hope.

I have a Patrol 35 on it's way to me, it looked good enough to order.

Searched out and picked up a Patrol 45 yesterday. The material looks to be thick enough to be durable, while being lighter than the cordura like material of the past. It is roomy, and will easy hold gear for patrol/rescue/guiding. Hugs the back and supports the load as expected. But as a trade off to support the load it is more complex than most bags. A lot of buckles, and layers. I would not be surprised to find a pocket or two that I missed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bummer that their new ski packs aren't made in the US anymore.

It is too bad, but Bozeman is not cheap living anymore. It has been desirable and growing over my 17 year history with it, but over the past few years it appears to really be ramping up. It does appear MR is giving their factory good designs, specifications and materials. But to be competitive with other bags and grow a market presence I think they had to do it. Military and firefighting bags are still made in the USA. Still the most comfortable bags, heavy loads nearly disappear

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a mystery ranch blackjack airbag pack in red, excellent condition, that i'd consider getting rid of if anyone is interested

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    They could be at twice the price to the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The D-Route is available from JA Gear located somewhere around Bozeman for the same price and made in USA. Just saying.

My wife bought me the Mystery Ranch Saddle Peak and it is an awesome resort/short hike pack... I have had a chance to use it a couple of times now and could not be happier... Nothing on the back to catch on a chair and is so much more supportive carrying skis than my now shitty Dakine packs... All straps and buckles can be tucked away or have Velcro straps so the pack stays clean and eliminates any catching.

If you are looking for a low profile, well made and functional resort/slackcountry pack you would be hard pressed to find a better one than this one...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

My experience with their fire packs is that they are comfortable, have heavy (but durable) materials and too many zippers. We blow through a lot of buckles, too. The D route looks interesting.

mini review as travel pack
    mens saddle peak 229 msrp

i/ve been using one for traveling to fly as my 'personal item' without the carry on $$$ fee requirement. no fees yet from any airline, loaded down really heavy which is way more load than I would ever carry skiing. i/m putting a lot of wear and tear on the pack and its zippers and its holding up really well. i've felt like i have really been overloading the thing and half expect something to go wrong......but it hasn't happened. ive owned a lot of inferior packs for this same process in the past that have blown out. i got the MR used too at the traveling ski gear circus that came through town and it looked used for $95. so, there's that....

there are 3 primary storage areas on the pack. one on very top is a great smaller pocket for keys sunglasses and things in need to get to really quick. there is the big main storage area which has i think big #10 YKK uretek coil zippers with two pulls that opens up almost to mid pack, this is where i put clothes and things. it also has the secret back side zipper great for pulling the laptop out at security checkpoint. the front pocket also ykk smaller uretek coil and has internal slots for shovel shafts , probes etc which i have been putting flashlights, batteries, car inverter plug, etc. in addition this pocket can also hold clothes or toiletry (sp?) bag, etc.

each of those storage areas has its own sub storage pockets found at top of front flap for the areas. this is where i have been putting phone and computer chargers and things like passports , tickets, etc, things i want to access fast but not be as easy to get to for a thief as the top smaller pocket. you have two open two zippered pockets to get to those areas and seems ideal for slowing down or slightly hiding in plain site important stuff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysteryR.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	221849

this side zipper that is closer to the back part of pack has been especially helpful in getting my laptop in and out without digging through the front side of the pack at security and when needing it to work. this is a really great option that i hadn't noticed when i picked the pack up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	221851

There is a rugged heavy duty top handle and two more pockets on a nicely padded waist belt. the shoulder straps are one of the few packs that do not give my bum shoulder pain. even my abs pack really hurts my shoulder at its about 7 lbs. i think I'm probably carrying about 20-25 lbs in the mystery ranch at the most. there are 4 side compression straps to cinch things down. they do not interfere with the side zipping pocket (computer) and do not have to be undone to access that pocket. shoulder straps adjust 4 ways
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysteryR2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	221850  
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I recently picked up a Patrol 45 and managed to load it up pretty full for a companion rescue course over the weekend. We didn't go very far but far enough for an initial impression. I loaded the bag up with an extra heavy compliment of my avalanche study kit, my splitboard bindings, extra layers, extra extra layers, 2x the water I normally carry, and a bunch of extra stuff just to see how the pack carried it.

Avalanche tool pocket
    I noticed when I put the shovel handle and probe into the tool pocket that it's not as quick and easy to get those out in a hurry as they both tuck into the top of the pocket behind the zipper. To get to the tools I found it best to pop both of the top lid buckles and at least one of the "stick-it" patch buckles. After that the probe and shovel were still a bit finicky to get out but maybe it'll get better as I use it more. As for the size of the tool pocket, it was great, there are dedicated tubes for a probe and shovel handle and a tube in the middle that fits my saw nicely. The blade of my big BCA shovel it into the pocket easily (it has been very snug in width on my last 2 packs).

The top lid (brain pocket)
    The top lid is well thought out. The goggle pocket fit my I/O Xs and a pair of sunglasses well and seemed to keep them mostly dry in heavy weather. The main pocket fit all the stuff that I wanted quick access to. Like most brain pockets it was constantly working it's way loose and sliding down the front of the pack. It's not a big deal and at least it was sliding the other way and hitting the back of my head like other lids have done in the past. Overall it's well executed.

Main pocket access
    To get into the main pocket you can go through the top like any standard top loader. That not why I bought this pack though, I bought it because I love back panel access for ski packs. With my last comparable pack (Mammut Trion Pro, ~50L) the access panel was inside of the shoulder straps which meant that I could drop the pack and open it up with just one zipper pull. On the MR Pack the zippers start above the should yoke and zip down either side of the pack. To keep everything stable and carrying well the load lifters on the shoulder straps have to be unbuckled and then you simply pull on the top of the panel to open it up. It's not much slower to open but closing everything back up was a bit slower. When I'm in and out of my pack a lot for a class it makes a difference. I expect I'll get faster at it and for a day of actual touring I don't think it will matter much since I won't be in and out as often.

Load carrying
    This pack lived up to it's reputation. It carried better than any pack of my previous packs have. The shoulder yoke put the shoulder straps out wide on my shoulders which is good for my build. The waist strap cinched down tight and took the load well. For heavy days carrying skis/boots on dry trail to get to the snow line I'll be happy. The comfort carrying the weight should make up for the extra fuss with zipping the pack back up.

Missing features
    The only thing I've come across so far is the lack of a dedicated ice ax carry. Most of my ski touring is ok without an ax but come spring when I go for more split-mo objectives I'll need to figure out a good way to carry an ax.

For most use I'd heartily recommend this bag and I'll update again later in the season after I get more time on it. Just be aware of the couple of minor issues that you'll have to accept if they fall into the category of things you care about.

great backpacks for the snow

Patrol 35L - https://mtnweekly.com/reviews/hiking...ackpack-review

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Hahahaha spammer310 has actually taken to pasting his shitty copy into threads now.

Go away, no one wants to read your regurgitate.
    well at least he is contributing a little to threads instead of posting unrequested and not well done spam

I fyou wana fuck up his own posts just put up a duplicate of his thread title

it will REALLY piss him off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know