Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    what do you think about the arcteryx covert fleece?

The Mountain Equipment Prophet still only has a 10d outer fabric that is going to be pretty fragile.

I have a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy with the 30d outer and would definitely recommend it, I use it for touring and mountaineering in Scotland. Very weatherproof and cut a bit longer with internal drop in pockets for gloves/skins.

I’m fine with the 16-20oz range if I get a little more durability to be honest. Good to know about the Xenon. I know the Micro/Macro puffs are 10 denier and I thought the Xenon was 20 but I’m not quite sure how that translates to real world durability.

Thanks for the Fitzoy suggestion. I think that’s a little more in line with what I’m looking for. Another idea I have is going with the Proton LT. Seems like the outer is almost like a softshell like fabric which would have more durability but at the expense of less wind protection which I could toss in a Houdini/Squamish type windbreaker for added wind protection.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    There was some good info here so I thought I'd just revive the thread. I'm looking for a lightweight synthetic or down for primarily an outer layer for the down. Ideally 80-130g synthetic insulation with a higher denier/more abrasion resistant fabric. Current layer system is as follows:
    Capilene lightweight
    Nano Air Hybrid vest
    Ferrosi or Gamma LT Hoody
    Atom LT Hoody

Looking for something a little warmer/weather resistant than the Atom LT and maybe a little longer in the torso. Ideally with internal drop-in pockets for skins/gloves. I have the Rab Xenon, NW Alpine Belay Jacket, Atom AR and OR Refuge Hooded Jacket on the radar. Any folks have experiences with any of these? Anything else that I should be looking at? Please no Patagucci recommendations, the Micro/Micro/Nano all seem too fragile for an outer layer, skiing through trees, etc.
    Only thing I can think of that is insulated and can handle being an outer layer is the Arc'teryx Stikine (Discontinued, a few on ebay) or a Fission SV. I love my Atom AR as a puffy for transitions, but I wouldn't consider it for skiing down.

Another jacket I'd like to try for a mid layer for skinning is the R1 Tech Face. I have a Rab Strata Flex which I like, but it is still too warm for skinning in anything above 20F without wind

FWIW, Patagonia released the DAS light hoody - seems to be another good and warm, option for an outer.
    The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have drawcords, which sucks.
    Then there is also the Macro Puff.

What did you guys end up with?

I'm looking for a jacket to use when skiing in the resort and for ski touring (packable, warm).
    I currently use the Rab Generator Alpine, but it's kind of bulky.

TL;DR

Has the OR Ascendant Hoody been brought up?

I love it so much that I picked up a backup when they were blowing them out last Spring. They're quite pricey at full retail, and the best I've recently seen is 20% off.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Bump.

I'd planned to buy a Nano Air, but I'm floundering over the minutia of other options with too much time Search Jonging and googling. Looking for some sage advice on the choosing the right active insulator for resort uphill and touring, ideally without a hood.

I'm 6' 170, run semi-warm (not sweaty), typically uphill/tour in softshell pants and a LS baselayer+hardshell. I'd like to improve the breathability a bit over the hardshell, gain a bit of potential warmth/comfort and have more versatility. I have an R1 and old Micropuff; looking for something in the middle that favors breathability; not super concerned on wind/weather protection. Front runners, with my assumptions:

Nano Air - seems very breathable and still warm
    Proton FL - seems more breathable but less warm than Nano Air; ideally don't want the hood.
    Proton LT - more or less on par with Nano Air, but more durable?
    Atom LT - seems less breathable but a tad warmer than Nano Air
    Norrona Octa - limited reviews, but seems less breathable but a tad warmer than Nano Air
    OR Refuge Air?
    BD Vision Hybrid - Anyone try this yet?
    Rab Xenair?

Thanks!
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 03-21-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Bump.

I'd planned to buy a Nano Air, but I'm floundering over the minutia of other options with too much time Search Jonging and googling. Looking for some sage advice on the choosing the right active insulator for resort uphill and touring.

I'm 6' 170, run semi-warm (not sweaty), typically uphill/tour in softshell pants and a LS baselayer+hardshell. I'd like to improve the breathability a bit over the hardshell, gain a bit of potential warmth/comfort and have more versatility. I have an R1 and old Micropuff; looking for something in the middle that favors breathability; not super concerned on wind/weather protection. Front runners, with my assumptions:

Nano Air - seems very breathable and still warm
    Proton LT - seems more breathable but less warm than Nano Air
    Atom LT - seems less breathable but a tad warmer than Nano Air
    Norrona Octa - limited reviews, but seems less breathable but a tad warmer than Nano Air
    OR Refuge Air?
    Rab Xenair?

Thanks!
    I've owned most of your list. Here's a few notes.
    Nano Air - Very breathable and pretty warm
    Proton LT - Less breathable but more warm than Nano Air. Better fit/finish.
    Atom LT - Warmer and less breathable than Proton LT - would not recommend for your use but is a great casual jacket. The proton LT is better in almost all respects for technical use.
    Norrona Octa - Way less warm than all of the above. I am selling mine due to the tight fit.
    Rab Xennair - I have the light, a little less breathable and warm than the nano air.

Now, to all of the above I would never ever be able to tour in them. The nano air is my inbounds insulation under 20 or so and the Rab Xenair Light for warmer days. If I were you I would start trying to tour in base + R1 only. Every option above would be warmer and less breathable than that combo. Based on that you can then decide how you want to go.

Another option which would be more breathable and less warm than all of the above (except the Norrona Octa) is the Proton FL. This one I could see people using while going uphill, but still to warm for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I've owned most of your list. Here's a few notes.
    Nano Air - Very breathable and pretty warm
    Proton LT - Less breathable but more warm than Nano Air. Better fit/finish.
    Atom LT - Warmer and less breathable than Proton LT - would not recommend for your use but is a great casual jacket. The proton LT is better in almost all respects for technical use.
    Norrona Octa - Way less warm than all of the above. I am selling mine due to the tight fit.
    Rab Xennair - I have the light, a little less breathable and warm than the nano air.

Now, to all of the above I would never ever be able to tour in them. The nano air is my inbounds insulation under 20 or so and the Rab Xenair Light for warmer days. If I were you I would start trying to tour in base + R1 only. Every option above would be warmer and less breathable than that combo. Based on that you can then decide how you want to go.

Another option which would be more breathable and less warm than all of the above (except the Norrona Octa) is the Proton FL. This one I could see people using while going uphill, but still to warm for me personally.
    Awesome, just what I was looking for. I've skinned some in the base+R1 [and ski inbounds 80% of the time with that + hard shell], but was hoping gain a tiny bit more wind protection and static insulating value over the open weave of the R1. I'm probably over-believing the breathability potential for most of these (besides the Proton FL?), with regards to comfortably skinning in them, but a lot of my laps are evening, dark chilly, 2000ft vert affairs.

Seems like settling on the Proton LT with good breathability, decent warmth and better durability is the best compromise for a more-versatile step up from the R1?

Awesome, just what I was looking for. I've skinned some in the base+R1 [and ski inbounds 80% of the time with that + hard shell], but was hoping gain a tiny bit more wind protection and static insulating value over the open weave of the R1. ...
    Sounds like you may like the R1 Techface. Super nice piece of kit.

Do not sleep on The North Face Ventrix. Even more breathable than the Nano Air while still being as warm (both my experience and some amga guide's opinions)
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Awesome, just what I was looking for. I've skinned some in the base+R1 [and ski inbounds 80% of the time with that + hard shell], but was hoping gain a tiny bit more wind protection and static insulating value over the open weave of the R1. I'm probably over-believing the breathability potential for most of these (besides the Proton FL?), with regards to comfortably skinning in them, but a lot of my laps are evening, dark chilly, 2000ft vert affairs.

Seems like settling on the Proton LT with good breathability, decent warmth and better durability is the best compromise for a more-versatile step up from the R1?
    Just get a softshell outer. You don't need insulation

Doesnt patagucci make R-1 and R-1 techface ?

I would agree insulation is not needed for the up track
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’m loving my Mammut Eiswand Guide ML. I do t feel too hot or too cold. It’s worked great across a range of temps too.

Can you just ditch the hardshell? A merino or poly T shirt, an R1, and a wind shirt or thin soft shell (the lines can blur between what is a wind shirt and soft shell) should do well for your uphilling needs. Try something like an Arc'teryx Squamish, Rab Borealis, or BD Alpine Start. They are all very versatile pieces of kit.

How is the water repellency of the Ventrix? And how durable (to tree snags, etc.) is the outer shell? I'm looking for a lightly insulated piece for the down after touring up.

I love my ventrix as a mid layer. Not much in terms of water repellency or tough outer shell. I have both the summit series hybrid (knit on arms) and flight series vest. The flight is aimed at running

Warm (moving fast or temps) -MH kor preshell. It's like 3oz and keeps the wind chill off

Moderate-OR ferrosi anorak. Stuff the skins into the kangaroo pocket. Less breathable than the MH but thick enough for some warmth

Cold -Arc Proton FL. So much better than the LT for skinning. Lt is good when climbing in really really cold temps or downhill ski in super cold. Never could wear that skinning

Really cold- like sub -10F. flannel. Because I'm probably in front of a fireplace not touring