Question Cheeep lodging ideas in SLC?

Howdy!

Anybody got any recommendations for a decent cheeep place to stay in SLC? We're trying to put together a low cost trip from the east coast sometime this winter to use our maxpasses at Solitude and Brighton. We were thinking about staying in the Midvale area and taking the bus up the canyon. So far, the Super8 is looking like the best deal that I can find at around $75 a night with about a block walk to the bus stop.

Does anyone know of any better/cheeeeper places to stay in that area?

Should we be looking at any other places besides Midvale for a cheeeeep/decent place stay with good access to the bus?

and then again, is the bus really good idea? Does it run on time and often enough to actually be useful, or would we be better off spending the extra cash on a rental car?

There is a member here named Rontele that owns a condo at Solitude. He usually isn't using it and rents it out at great prices for fellow board members here. Most times sending him a private message will get you a cheap place to stay.

Good luck.

I thought that was iceman, PM him too.

And the bus is usually on time. Lotsa people use it.

There are a lot of crack hotels in Midvale and the rest of the valley. Look for police tape, always a giveaway.

Don't stay in the midvale ft. union area unless you're down with BobMC's free chunky peanut butter hand jobs.

If it snows and/or its the holidays, don't expect UTA to run on time. If you rent a car, get 4WD and don't lose your khakis.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Howdy!

Anybody got any recommendations for a decent cheeep place to stay in SLC? We're trying to put together a low cost trip from the east coast sometime this winter to use our maxpasses at Solitude and Brighton. We were thinking about staying in the Midvale area and taking the bus up the canyon. So far, the Super8 is looking like the best deal that I can find at around $75 a night with about a block walk to the bus stop.

Does anyone know of any better/cheeeeper places to stay in that area?

Should we be looking at any other places besides Midvale for a cheeeeep/decent place stay with good access to the bus?

and then again, is the bus really good idea? Does it run on time and often enough to actually be useful, or would we be better off spending the extra cash on a rental car?

Motel six right down the street from the Super 8
    Stayed there many times. It's all good. I like the fact that parking is right infront of your room
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    There is a member here named Rontele that owns a condo at Solitude. He usually isn't using it and rents it out at great prices for fellow board members here. Most times sending him a private message will get you a cheap place to stay.

Good luck.
    That BobMc guy is only trying to lure you into the next version of Hostel. I wouldn't trust him.

Bob, be up there early Feb. SoliSunday still a thing?
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    There are a lot of crack hotels in Midvale and the rest of the valley. Look for police tape, always a giveaway.
    yeah there are some surprisingly appalling places here. the bus isn't as bad in BCC as LCC though, but it'll still take a while (maybe an hour from the normal park-and-rides to brighton). it also fills up on weekend powder days, and the park-and-rides fill up too. 4wd rental is best but obviously not cheap...

Howdy!

Howdy, JONG

The good folks here have extended a warm welcome to your license plate identity. What say you take a moment to actually register a name and fill out your bio so we have some idea who you are?

or GTFO
    PM me your favorite stashes, I'll send you a pic of skidog's tits

Motel 6
    or this place is slightly appalling too but it seems to fit your bill https://www.majesticrockies.com/
    skid luxury

I'd probably check out airbnb options in Sandy if I was you. I bet you can get a much nicer place close to the canyons for <$100. I'd also rent a cheap car and if it snows just hitchhike up the canyon.

I also believe Rontele still runs a powder day shuttle up the canyon. Pm him for details.

I second Airbnb in SLC area. Depending how many people in your group the price will likely be as cheap if not cheaper than a hotel. I also rented a 4 wheel drive Mazda CX5 for like 300$ for the week a couple seasons ago.

Howdy!
    WTF? This dude lost me with the first word in his post.

Cheeep lodging ideas in SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    WTF? This dude lost me with the first word in his post.
    Nobody from NYC says Howdie
    You can join Deep South mafias crew and stay for free if you're ok with anal sex
    Last edited by yellofin; 10-27-2017 at 05:40 AM.

I have actually at the majestic rockies motel. It was a real crime scene back then but the pics look like they cleaned it up. Its near a few bars and state liquor store as well as a good indian place. So its not terrible. Its not the 4 seasons either.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Nobody from NYC says Howdie
    You can join Deep South mafias crew and stay for free if you're ok with anal sex
    FTW. Excellent well thought out and considerate response. OP, pull the trigger and do it. Please.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I have stayed in the Motel 6 for around $55/night. That doesn't include WIFI but my room was on the same side as the neighouring La Quinta Motel (?) and I was able to pickup their free WIFI most nights.

Depends on your priorities:

1) Extra beds/floor space so no spooning with your buds - Airbnb

2) Cheap hookers and sub-par hand jobs - Motel 6

I’ve done both and can say the skiing is great either way.

Before we lived in Sandy for the winter we stayed at the Extended Stay America on Fort Union / 1300 East. It is in a good neighborhood, plenty of food options within 1/2 a mile, shopping etc. I have heard that tweekers hang there but I saw a lot more construction workers than people that would cause problems. I know they updated all the rooms maybe five years ago. No pool, kind of a continental breakfast deal but just granola bars, fruit, instant oatmeal etc. Location is perfect for Cottonwood Canyons. Really good Asian restaurant directly across the street. Also an In & Out Burger you could walk to, that in itself is a good reason to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Before we lived in Sandy for the winter we stayed at the Extended Stay America on Fort Union / 1300 East. It is in a good neighborhood, plenty of food options within 1/2 a mile, shopping etc. I have heard that tweekers hang there but I saw a lot more construction workers than people that would cause problems. I know they updated all the rooms maybe five years ago. No pool, kind of a continental breakfast deal but just granola bars, fruit, instant oatmeal etc. Location is perfect for Cottonwood Canyons. Really good Asian restaurant directly across the street. Also an In & Out Burger you could walk to, that in itself is a good reason to stay there.
    lots of eats more or less directly across the street from there too (iggys, that sushi joint, greek place). Big movie theater too. Outback steakhouse within walking distance. Burger King, in and out (as mentioned) Pie Pizzeria, and a few others within walking distance.

I've heard tweakers there too, but who really knows. They built the higher end apartment/condo monstrosity next to it, but that will keep the vagrants to a minimum if they even exist i'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    lots of eats more or less directly across the street from there too (iggys, that sushi joint, greek place). Big movie theater too. Outback steakhouse within walking distance. Burger King, in and out (as mentioned) Pie Pizzeria, and a few others within walking distance.

I've heard tweakers there too, but who really knows. They built the higher end apartment/condo monstrosity next to it, but that will keep the vagrants to a minimum if they even exist i'd imagine.
    just don't leave anything in your car. I know of a lot of smash-n-grabs that have occurred in those lots. one buddy was just running in to grab take out after climbing in LCC, came back out and his rope, rack and rear passenger window were gone, he was absent from his car for 5-10 minutes.

Alta Motel and Lodge. Cheeeep rates!*

*hourly
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by teledave View Post

Bob, be up there early Feb. SoliSunday still a thing?
    Nope, Snowbird nowadays.