Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I have snowflake sporting A/T tires and 4wd FWIW. Until you get into real deep snow FWD with real snow tires is better than AWD/4WD with all seasons IMO.

This, right here. People that have never used a real snow tire love to talk shit about them and go on and on about how their all seasons are fine.

I have an awd car with all seasons (brand new, with M+S rating and siping), a true 4wd with snow tires, and a fwd corolla with snow tires. The 4wd with snows is the best, but the fwd with snow tires is a close second. The subaru with all seasons is garbage for anything other than commuting in a few inches.

I have NEVER had an issue, in 20 years, driving all over the rockies as well as to and from the upper midwest, in blizzards, with a fwd car + snow tires. My old camry would blast right through drifts that subarus were getting stuck in. Plus, with proper snow tires (not even studded), I can stop an econobox on hardpack or in deep snow like I'm on dry concrete. My subaru with all seasons will freak out with it's ABS and take forever to actually come to rest.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    #I <3upd
    #nojerryrigs
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    This, right here. People that have never used a real snow tire love to talk shit about them and go on and on about how their all seasons are fine.

I have an awd car with all seasons (brand new, with M+S rating and siping), a true 4wd with snow tires, and a fwd corolla with snow tires. The 4wd with snows is the best, but the fwd with snow tires is a close second. The subaru with all seasons is garbage for anything other than commuting in a few inches.

I have NEVER had an issue, in 20 years, driving all over the rockies as well as to and from the upper midwest, in blizzards, with a fwd car + snow tires. My old camry would blast right through drifts that subarus were getting stuck in. Plus, with proper snow tires (not even studded), I can stop an econobox on hardpack or in deep snow like I'm on dry concrete. My subaru with all seasons will freak out with it's ABS and take forever to actually come to rest.
    Im totally not discounting true snow tires being better at all. What I am saying is that I personally have never had much issue running the "all seasons" i typically purchase. YMMV. I can just think of much better things to spend money on over a second set of tires.

so did anyone actually ski today? those of us stuck at valley work are curious

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    so did anyone actually ski today? those of us stuck at valley work are curious
    Skied a couple hours at Snowbird. Cold and dry pow, shin deep. Didn't take any pictures cause I'm a beater.

I have snows. I like to think of it as getting twice as many miles out of my summers.

But then everyone who says they do just fine with all seasons wouldn’t stand a chance of getting to my house on certain days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I have snows. I like to think of it as getting twice as many miles out of my summers.

But then everyone who says they do just fine with all seasons wouldn’t stand a chance of getting to my house on certain days.

I think your minivan just came creeping up the sledding run past my house.

Alta was a lot of fun today, all things considered. They left a bit of terrain ungroomed, so run #1 was deep. Guns were going all day which was annoying but makes sense. Light snow until I left around 2, with a couple stretches of moderate snow. Patrol did a good job of opening stuff as they could (e.g. lower high boy, Schuss to bear paw, main street/taint). Still super low tide, I had several solid hits but appreciate having the option to blow up my skis vs being restricted to one groomer.

I'm usually in a faded orange helmet and dark red jacket. Hoping to be back tomorrow for a ballroom opening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UPD gave my buddy a hand out.

It does say “snow tires” with M&S designation, not any tires with M&S designation. So, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

It does say “snow tires” with M&S designation, not any tires with M&S designation. So, who knows?
    He also said the officer made him turn his wheel so he could look at the tread.

"mounted snow tires; (tires with an M/S designation with or without studs)"

At least it requires them to be mounted.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

That's pretty clearly saying that anything that's M/S rated counts as far as UPD is concerned.

UAC R920-6-3(ii) is pretty unambiguous:

"(ii) mounted snow tires (tires with an M/S designation with or without studs)"

The UPD officer on patrol that day may or may not give a fuck what the actual law says. I'm dead serious about having a printed copy on hand.

edit: Too slow. Realistically, as long as you have M/S's with a decent tread depth on a respectable vehicle and don't look like a fool I doubt you'll get hassled. There may end up being quite a few very upset tourists whose rented SUVs came with summer tires, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I think your minivan just came creeping up the sledding run past my house.
    Yep. The girlies got to ski while I worked.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    At least it requires them to be mounted.
    "Yeah, I have snow tires, can't you see them piled up in the back?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Got just enough snow to screw a lot of this up, but not enough to open up any real skiing. Fack.

Never has 10 inches been so depressing.

Not all all seasons carry the m+s designation. As mentioned good tread and m+s on tire sounds like it should suffice, least by the "law".

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

4WD still didn't stop that red Ford pickup from sliding off the road at 830am, and it wasn't that slick......

Christ. We have so little snow this thread has somehow turned into tire debates.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Yep. The girlies got to ski while I worked.

Did they report anything worth skiing?

Snowbasin opens their WROD on Thursday. I'll be there, yellow jacket, grey helmet riding my rock board.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Not a fan of the UPD but I am all in for them checking on powder days. All too often last season they were not checking at the mouth of LCC. I followed a Prius up one day and another day an Outback that had bald tires. How about they get out and check tires instead of sitting in their Explorer''s with a sign waving people on.

I went through tire check at 9. He was looking at something but not tires. More like drivers and judging if they were capable. Buddy came through 20 minutes later and cop was gone.
    It just slows down Powder early birds. But I have had issues with yahoos in 2 wheel drive jackknifed blocking road and shutting it down for everyone so have to find a balance

On a positive note Utah blower was good at alta.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

It's unpossible to check all tires up close. Probably just the early season act to send out the vibe & scare dishwarshers.

Maybe they should not let 2 WD down the Canyon, make them ride the bus and or Uber. The Subie with bald tires a local got in the guys face, called him a "fuck head" for endangering the lives of others and reported him to the Town Marshall. Canyon closed about 11:00 AM and reopened about 4:30 PM. We were holed up in the GMD and I watched four guys help push him up the hill to get out. On restricted days walk the parking lots and ticket 2WD and no chain vehicles.