Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1783
    Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    Check out the beater marks on the third track from the left!

Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    As F#*k You Cat wrote the Wolverine Cirque isn't inside Alta boundaries. A few hearty Alta side-country-ers sometimes ski there, but it's a long climb to get there and an a long climb back up to the microwave ridge for the run back to Alta. You can find out about Wolverine Cirque and all the named chutes (I think there are about 14-16 of them) in several places. Start here, http://wbskiing.com/2447 , but this only runs on a laptop or desk top computer, not on mobile devices. The bible of Wasatch chutes is Andrew McLean's "the Chuting Gallery" (http://straightchuter.com/chuting-gallery/ and https://www.amazon.com/Chuting-Galle.../dp/0962193577).

In Andrew's book he describes and uses the Steepness Rating system. The Steepness Ratings go from S0 to S7, and in addition to the steepness the rating includes factors such as whether there are "terrain features" that require maneuvering around, if there is a dangerous fall potential, and how safe the run out zone is. S7+ is described as "60 degree slopes with nasty obstacles. A quick and certain death if you fall." There is also an Aid Rating for chutes that require rappels to enter.

Granny Chute is by far the easiest and safest chute (people have died skiing the harder, steeper, narrower chutes) and it's rated at only 38 degrees with S3+ rating. Most of the other Wolverine Chutes are rated S4- to S4+ with Roman's Chute rated S5- (that normally requires a rappel to enter it and that's where the fatality occurred). For comparison Mt. Superior South Face and Suicide Chute are rated S4. Most people don't ski down Granny Chute but rather use it as the ascent route back up for doing more laps. Most climbers boot it up Granny's because it's a little too steep and narrow for a skin track. Occasionally some hearty souls who must love doing lots of kick turns on a 38 degree slope put a skinner up it (fortunately there's only a short choke point just below the top). That's why I asked whether the traffic on Granny's has been mostly just the booter or whether some folks have been putting downhill tracks on it. In my times skiing it there were only 2-3 downhill tracks. So, for us old timers who want to do an easy run rather than the other more serious chutes Granny's can be quite nice with good, safe snow, and only a booter up it.
    Thanks. I know where it is now, was confused as to which side. I know the bootpack from the Alta side off Catherine's area. Last few days saw many hiking up it. Couple Skinner's too...

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 17-18

What's the one 3 to the (lookers) right from grannies? I assume in that last pic grannies has the skintrack?
    Decisions Decisions

Back when my oldest son used to ski, nearing the top of Grannies, summer 2014. Taken by my buddy Travis, I was much too lazy to go along that day.

Name:  brettgranny.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  152.2 KB

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Check out the beater marks on the third track from the left!
    Holy shit. Straightline to tomahawk tomahawk to straightline. Hahahahaha

Today in upper White Pine quite a few folks went up Red Baldy. We crossed paths with 2 who climbed it twice (talked to them again in the WP parking lot at the end of the day). They said the party of 4 who put in the skin track all the way to the summit skied off the back side down Icefall (http://wbskiing.com/6069), then climbed back up the Silver Creek drainage to the top of Red Stack (Red Top) and skied down the Tri Chutes (http://wbskiing.com/3500) . My buddy Doyle and I were less aggressive. We put in 2 more tracks after the 4 that were there before ours on the NE face of Lake Peak and then we put in 2 tracks after the none that were there before us in Dog Dish. Fantastic weather day, no wind, cool up high, and pretty good snow up high (but sun damaged below 9,000' or so).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0050.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	831.5 KB 
ID:	229033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0086.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	668.5 KB 
ID:	229034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1,000.0 KB 
ID:	229035

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Dude I'm well aware of Altas boundaries. Thanks though.

Who controls it though? Yeah thanks

ETA what I meant was that even after all my years at Alta I don't even remember those names, much less the names of silly sidecountry chutes. I ain't got time for that, it only matters to you bro brah types. "Yeah man I scored xyz line I'm so gnar".

silly sidecountry chutes are like chicks
    once ya nail em ya tend to remember the name
    and no control work gets done on the bigger better canyon side of wolvie cirque
    jl i cant believe your nephews a pro and out on tell a friend pro broing while i mount all the binders at work
    sorry photofuckits been holdings my stokes hostage
    grannies and the cirque have been gettng skied a bit
    got to watch fri as it got skied and booted

as for stability that tends to bode well
    yet "never trust a hoar, they dont have your best interest as a priority" has been the sage advice ive been using to help with terrain selection this season
    once again think we were a couple hours behind get outside fri judgng by the sun in his shots

good to hook up with friends you havent skied with this season for an eb flannies lap

specally when your week included news that an old friend who had beaten ass cancer suddenly passed away
    well tl ill miss ya buddy

pcmr steeps private club sometime in the 80's when ya got yur mini bottles outta the closet in the stairs

done poured a sip out an sharlped the blue ribbons pow pows for ya

solisunday didnt suck
    nice to hit apex to an open summit and the skiing of the green peak from a 9am cto
    albeit a day late for st patty
    mrs. sfb crushes egp ups n downs

and is looking forward to skiing you fools for

and always good to ski the fuggiestives and nail dat g spot

shouda skied a guild line but my spansered brand ambasador needed to check in, provide feedback, and taste test some new flavs with the chief betty
    o yeah and attempt to secure a bakers soli party central icepad blessing

order now for added blessings
    and a few from the turn of the century sfb satch archives

lifes short fragile and fickle
    git ya sum while ya can

brock hit up djongo mag solid is he
    and hopes to ski you fools this weekend after i road trip to celebrate another friends life well lived
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    Brighton delivered yet again. Couple shots of dantheman stomping everything in sight:

Attachment 228613

Attachment 228614

Attachment 228615
    and a hcbc
    bump
    #xoverdontknow
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    silly sidecountry chutes are like chicks
    once ya nail em ya tend to remember the name
    and no control work gets done on the bigger better canyon side of wolvie cirque
    jl i cant believe your nephews a pro and out on tell a friend pro broing while i mount all the binders at work
    sorry photofuckits been holdings my stokes hostage
    grannies and the cirque have been gettng skied a bit
    got to watch fri as it got skied and booted

as for stability that tends to bode well
    yet "never trust a hoar, they dont have your best interest as a priority" has been the sage advice ive been using to help with terrain selection this season
    once again think we were a couple hours behind get outside fri judgng by the sun in his shots

good to hook up with friends you havent skied with this season for an eb flannies lap

specally when your week included news that an old friend who had beaten ass cancer suddenly passed away
    well tl ill miss ya buddy

pcmr steeps private club sometime in the 80's when ya got yur mini bottles outta the closet in the stairs

done poured a sip out an sharlped the blue ribbons pow pows for ya

solisunday didnt suck
    nice to hit apex to an open summit and the skiing of the green peak from a 9am cto
    albeit a day late for st patty
    mrs. sfb crushes egp ups n downs

and is looking forward to skiing you fools for

and always good to ski the fuggiestives and nail dat g spot

shouda skied a guild line but my spansered brand ambasador needed to check in, provide feedback, and taste test some new flavs with the chief betty
    o yeah and attempt to secure a bakers soli party central icepad blessing

order now for added blessings
    and a few from the turn of the century sfb satch archives

lifes short fragile and fickle
    git ya sum while ya can

brock hit up djongo mag solid is he
    and hopes to ski you fools this weekend after i road trip to celebrate another friends life well lived
    Sorry for you loss man... RIP

So, 3" of water in the forecast with snow levels to 9,000'. Oof.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yes, ATLskier and i have been discussing how the expected deep faceted hydroslough this storm will deliver will affect our snowpack.

I attended the UAC chat last night in Holiday. Staples and Drew flat out said that our snowpack structure likely will NOT support the expected SWE from this pineapple Express. Be careful out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Grand Junction forecast looks promising. Desert biking seems preferable to Snake Creek laps at Brighton where everybody and their brother will be riding the only lift where it's not raining at the base. NFW I'm touring during this storm.

So yeah. Once again I'm flying in Friday night. i am at a conference all week in Baltimore, get back to Charlotte at 2. Will run out to truck, grab my next set of bags, change and head out to SLC. I'm kind of hoping the cold front hits a little faster. I've had horrible timing all season so I'm hoping this isn't too bad saturday. I'm mobile and can go anywhere. Ironically, its going to be 8" of snow in Baltimore.

Grand Junction forecast looks promising. Desert biking seems preferable to Snake Creek laps at Brighton where everybody and their brother will be riding the only lift where it's not raining at the base. NFW I'm touring during this storm.
    X2 on not touring during this. I'm looking forward to next week once the post-storm cycle is complete.

I am kinda jonesing to get out on the bike at this point. It's been a while!

was going to ask about getting the little dudes together at brighton thur until i saw the rain/snow line ... maybe next week.

great pics ski ATL, lhitchner, skifishbum ... sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. vibes

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    was going to ask about getting the little dudes together at brighton thur until i saw the rain/snow line ... maybe next week.
    For sure!

Think Cold Thoughts. Think Cold Thoughts. Coming-in for 2 days in SLC (Sat & Sun) before pointing the rental vehicle towards the Hole. Hoping for some Bird (Sat) and a cold push to revive Basin on Sunday. Think Cold Thoughts. I'm craving some Wilbere and a Cotton Bottom Garlic Burger like Crazy!
    neednsnow.com

Chasin Snow whenever time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I am kinda jonesing to get out on the bike at this point. It's been a while!
    Gonna be at I Street tonight.

Gonna be at I Street tonight.
    I'd join ya for a lap but I'm on family duty tonight.

Dry and rideable right now?

It was in primo shape last Tuesday, mostly bone dry. The valley hasn't seen significant precip since Wed/Thurs so I'm guessing that it's all good now. Bobsled is probably GTG, too.

^^ word/lol and nice work...
    Last edited by mall walker; 04-18-2018 at 12:33 PM.

evening guys,

Quick question -

Arrive a week on Friday, Skiing Alta day 1 and then getting Snowbird April pass for the next Nine days with a day at Deer Valley thrown in there. Where to hire for my dad? last year got good discount from snowbird lower centre ski shop(forget the name). Anywhere else you guys recommend?

PM Rontele, he's got the hook up at Snowbird. Can probably get a discount on passes too
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    PM Rontele, he's got the hook up at Snowbird. Can probably get a discount on passes too
    Is he still in marketing? Haven't seen him in ages.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague