Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    except 2wd + snows or chains is legal right?

I agree tho gotta enforce if you want it to change

I have left notes on people's cars before in the GMD lot and various snowbird lots when I notice their tires are bald. Without fail, I've seen those same cars up there again the next week with the same bald ass tires. Some people just don't give a fuck.

I was also in the process of helping tow a 2wd merc out of a drift one time, but the guy told me to mind my own business when I pointed out a RWD summer tired vehicle doesn't belong at snowbird during a snowstorm. Ok, fuck you then, I'll let public safety pull your ass out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    how so? No accidents, never held anyone up behind me...hell never even had what i'd consider a loss of traction..

I grew up driving in one of the snowiest places in the US...Syracuse NY. Horrible snow removal, and deep snows seemingly out of the blue (lake effect). I've never run snow tires my entire life (im 46) regardless of location, nor has anyone in my entire family. I recall driving through that horrendous ice storm of the late 70's from CT to Syracuse, white knuckle for my dad for sure...no snow tires...made it just fine. Skills trump everytime, and if you're driving anything with true 4x4 and you need snow's its best you stay the fuck out of the mountains/snowy areas and maybe stick to Florida.
    bingo......all the arguments over tires but you also have the fuckticks in a four wheel drive that thinks they can go 60 mph cuase they have big tires and 4x4...
    sometims they cuase more problems then the guy with FWD,,,, just saying......
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    except 2wd + snows or chains is legal right?

I agree tho gotta enforce if you want it to change
    I guess I am now confused, a 2 WD with 2 snow tires is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    it is confusing to me too honestly. 2wd w/2 snows on the drive tires is... a fairly loose requirement imo. 2wd w/4 snows seems like a better requirement

According to the interpretation here, yes, a 2wd car with all seasons as long as they say M&S is good to go.

I think you'll find the guy at the mouth will think different.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    bingo......all the arguments over tires but you also have the fuckticks in a four wheel drive that thinks they can go 60 mph cuase they have big tires and 4x4...
    sometims they cuase more problems then the guy with FWD,,,, just saying......
    Agree 100000 % 4x4 does not = invincibility. In fact the heavier trucks take way longer to stop. It's all about taking your time.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Far as I know no it's not. Any 2wd snow or not needs chains I believe. Maybe I misunderstand.

Far as I know no it's not. Any 2wd snow or not needs chains I believe. Maybe I misunderstand.

Your understanding is what I thought it was. The UDOT chart clearly says 2 WD with snow tires is ok. M&S or even full blown snow tires on two wheels in my worthless opinion are not adequate. The flashing signs at the mouth of the Canyon & at Alta read 4 X 4 or chains.

Geez. I wonder if the rental fleet at SLC meets the requirements. I always shell out for the 4x4 since the signs said chains or 4x4. but I would be shocked if hertz had snow rated tires on their cars.
    Also, WTF is wrong with this thread. Arguing over damn tires in December. Damn weather.
    Thanks for the intel earlier also. Wife and I decided to stay the course. Will be there 12/16-12/21. Skiing may suck but family time in the mountains away from the office is good.

Rental companies say they are going to equip cars with snow tire. Technically any 2wd or 4wd car needs snow tires November thru May. When 4wd or chains light is flashing it means exactly that. Dealing with all the cement trucks delivering to snow pine construction in Alta is going to be a pain in the ass all winter long.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    Rental companies say they are going to equip cars with snow tire. Technically any 2wd or 4wd car needs snow tires November thru May. When 4wd or chains light is flashing it means exactly that. Dealing with all the cement trucks delivering to snow pine construction in Alta is going to be a pain in the ass all winter long.
    Whoa yeah forgot about that.. How low can they pour concrete these days? I know its below freezing, but damn it gets cold up at Alta in mid winter. Are they really going to be doing that all season? I wonder if there are restrictions as to when? Like not before 10am up or 3pm down? That could really make things suck.

Your understanding is what I thought it was. The UDOT chart clearly says 2 WD with snow tires is ok. M&S or even full blown snow tires on two wheels in my worthless opinion are not adequate. The flashing signs at the mouth of the Canyon & at Alta read 4 X 4 or chains.
    IME a FWD w/ true snows (3PMSF) >> 4x4/AWD with M+S.

4x4/AWD doesn't aid in stopping or handling a damn. And rarely is something like the LCC/BCC so deep/unplowed that FWD with good traction doesn't cut it.

Whoa yeah forgot about that.. How low can they pour concrete these days? I know its below freezing, but damn it gets cold up at Alta in mid winter. Are they really going to be doing that all season? I wonder if there are restrictions as to when? Like not before 10am up or 3pm down? That could really make things suck.
    Was stuck behind one of those trucks Saturday AM, like 8:45 or 9 AM. Everyone was passing wherever they could (over double yellows mostly), which could definitely lead to some issues once the canyon is a bit more crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    so did anyone actually ski today? those of us stuck at valley work are curious
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	218059

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Was stuck behind one of those trucks Saturday AM, like 8:45 or 9 AM. Everyone was passing wherever they could (over double yellows mostly), which could definitely lead to some issues once the canyon is a bit more crowded.
    The wife and I were in awe that they were still running those trucks up there, we were pretty sure that they must eventually stop running them during high traffic periods in the morning... are they really going to keep doing this all season? Because holy shit, it's gonna suck.

Most mountain states have a "if you're holding up more than x cars, you need to pull over and let them pass" laws but I'm guessing utah has nothing of the sort? Sooooo fucking dangerous to have those guys going 20mph up the canyon at 8:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post

Name:	trees.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	218059
    hell yeah

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    The wife and I were in awe that they were still running those trucks up there, we were pretty sure that they must eventually stop running them during high traffic periods in the morning... are they really going to keep doing this all season? Because holy shit, it's gonna suck.

Most mountain states have a "if you're holding up more than x cars, you need to pull over and let them pass" laws but I'm guessing utah has nothing of the sort? Sooooo fucking dangerous to have those guys going 20mph up the canyon at 8:30am.
    Especially at turns like just beyond Tanner campground. That spot is always a trouble spot if you get stopped dead right at it. Gets really slick there.

They best adjust times those trucks are allowed to access the canyon or its going to be a HUGE cluster fuck this season.

I'm out of the loop, what are they building?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'm out of the loop, what are they building?
    Rebuiilding Snowpine lodge...

Rebuiilding Snowpine lodge...
    Ah, thanks.

We drive a Forester and the cop looked at the tread of our stock tires (with about 10K miles on them). He gave us a warning and let us up. He said next time it would be a ticket. Our snowtires were still in the garage. Got them mounted last night.

Name:	20171205_073539.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	978.7 KB 
ID:	218075
    dickin' around above alta

Will my Lexus GX 470 with all terrains and 4wd be allowed or no? I just bought the damn thing to be able to take up LCC so I wouldn't have to take the bus like a Plebe

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Will my Lexus GX 470 with all terrains and 4wd be allowed or no? I just bought the damn thing to be able to take up LCC so I wouldn't have to take the bus like a Plebe
    They should say M/S or M+S on the sidewall. Any A/T tire should also be M+S.