Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1783
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Marketing or catering to traveling professionals that have disposable income is a stupid move? Really? Hmmm, I imagine 99.99% of ski area management folks would probably disagree with ya on that one.
    Alta isn't Breckenridge and keystone man. How many more people are they gonna fit in at the ski area? Are their ski numbers so bad they need an influx of dentists and such? Alta has a cool vibe and over the years shit hasn't gotten better; building a tram up there is gonna help destroy what Alta is, and at the same time scar a beautiful peak. If in the end it's about avy control (prohibition on artillery), then I am more understanding. If not, it's like Alta is in the middle of the plot of Out Cold. Don't go changin!

Now that's over.

Suicide didn't look great this morning, tons of debris and crap in there. I think you'll still have a good time, but waiting a few weeks won't be so bad either.

Some type 2 "skiing" this morning. Softened pretty fast, but rocks don't really soften, so whatever.
    Name:  IMG_20180425_121520_292.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  104.8 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180425_082331.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	233782

Sent from my LG-H810 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post
    Alta isn't Breckenridge and keystone man. How many more people are they gonna fit in at the ski area? Are their ski numbers so bad they need an influx of dentists and such? Alta has a cool vibe and over the years shit hasn't gotten better; building a tram up there is gonna help destroy what Alta is, and at the same time scar a beautiful peak. If in the end it's about avy control (prohibition on artillery), then I am more understanding. If not, it's like Alta is in the middle of the plot of Out Cold. Don't go changin!

Now that's over.

Suicide didn't look great this morning, tons of debris and crap in there. I think you'll still have a good time, but waiting a few weeks won't be so bad either.

Some type 2 "skiing" this morning. Softened pretty fast, but rocks don't really soften, so whatever.

Your reaction to change is pretty normal, I get that but I'll bet you everything will be just fine in the end and in 20 yeas these conversations will long be gone.

I think a tram up Baldy would be sick. As someone now that goes on trips with my daughter these types of improvements sound rad.

That type 2 skiing looks like fun.......sort of.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Your reaction to change is pretty normal, I get that but I'll bet you everything will be just fine in the end and in 20 yeas these conversations will long be gone.
    So true. Most likely will be in a few short years people will forget.

What has Alta ever done to ruin their experience greatly? I don't think anyone should trust them 100%, but then again they are not Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post

Now that's over.

Lol Logan , for someone who talks so much shit about Resort skiing and claims they'll never buy a pass every season you seem to care alot dude.

Alta's lift modernization and base expansion will be rad. Hopefully they put in a Shake Shack and Vineyard vines in the base area =]

cuz in 20 years it's not gonna snow below 8k' anymore?

i'm on the "fuck the baldy tram" train and i'm happy to support the generally obstructionist SOC (financially, generously) if that's the most realistic avenue to oppose this sort of change. the fact that they get a bunch of y'alls panties in a wad is just bonus but re: the tram, it's not like a resort in summit county CO tossing up another eyesore, as you know there's reeeeeeally not a lot of space here, and what space there is gets used a lot by a lot of people besides alta skiers.

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    A buddy and I are planning to hit Suicide Chute for the first time Saturday morning. A couple questions for the more wise:

1) I'm thinking we want to descend around 9 am for best corn quality / avy risk.... Does that sound right?
    2) Should I have boot crampons?
    3) If yes, anybody got some boot crampons I could borrow / buy? I'd rather not spend $150 on a brand new set since I'll rarely use them.

Thanks!

Oh, and a little stoke from the 2nd closing day at Alta...the banked slalom in action:
    I got crampons you can borrow pm me. Gotta pick em up by Thursday night

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

i'm on the "fuck the baldy tram" train and i'm happy to support the generally obstructionist SOC (financially, generously) if that's the most realistic avenue to oppose this sort of change. the fact that they get a bunch of y'alls panties in a wad is just bonus but re: the tram, it's not like a resort in summit county CO tossing up another eyesore, as you know there's reeeeeeally not a lot of space here, and what space there is gets used a lot by a lot of people besides alta skiers.

ymmv
    MBillie with hyperbole of the year.

20 years will be about the same as it is today .

It’s ok to not believe in Climate Change. Believe in #DragonEnergy Instead

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post

20 years will be about the same as it is today

]

Says the guy that's been here a year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

ymmv
    The uintas are pretty fucking big, and so is the south, west, and east of SLC. Both big and little cottonwood are far from a "true Alpine experience" already. It's hardly "wilderness" anywhere in the SLC valley.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 17-18

I don’t agree, I think you can go lots of places in the central wasatch and have a decent wilderness experience, and that’s pretty cool to me. but there's a limited amount of space for that to happen in any season. either way, what happens will happen, but this is some decent alpine shit from today and this is the lowest hanging fruit:

Name:	IMG_7302.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	233822

we’re talking about like a 200’ hike? it’s not the end of the world, agree to disagree, or whatnot... but I’m not into the tram personally. I’ll survive, but it seems lame to me. it seems extra lame come may 30 when there's just a big tower on top of one of the 11kers here, on FS land that we all pay taxes on. glad I got some "before" pictures though!

I don’t agree, I think you can go lots of places in the central wasatch and have a decent wilderness experience, and that’s pretty cool to me. but there's a limited amount of space for that to happen in any season. either way, what happens will happen, but this is some decent alpine shit from today and this is the lowest hanging fruit:

Name:	IMG_7302.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	233822

we’re talking about like a 200’ hike? it’s not the end of the world, agree to disagree, or whatnot... but I’m not into the tram personally. I’ll survive, but it seems lame to me. it seems extra lame come may 30 when there's just a big tower on top of one of the 11kers here, on FS land that we all pay taxes on. glad I got some "before" pictures though!
    I don't call it wilderness personally unless I can't see real hard signs of "man" when I look 360 degrees. Real hard to do that in the SLC valley. Sure it's all pretty, but let's not kid ourselves that it's wild. SLC valley is pretty developed, especially up big and little cottonwood canyons

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I don't call it wilderness personally unless I can't see real hard signs of "man" when I look 360 degrees. Real hard to do that in the SLC valley.
    You just called out the Uintas specifically as real wilderness, from which you can see I-80, windfarms and multiple towns from almost every major peak.

Sure it's all pretty, but let's not kid ourselves that it's wild. SLC valley is pretty developed, especially up big and little cottonwood canyons
    This kind of bullshit attitude is exactly why the Wasatch needs strong protection. "Oh, there's development all over the place already, what's one more thing?" is a positive feedback loop that eventually leads to lots more development decades down the line. You know one thought that never occurs to me when I look at Hidden Peak from surround peaks and ridgelines--that it's not an eyesore. Further, so you can see the city from the peaks, BFD. Get outside of a half dozen or so of the most popular drainages and things get real wild real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You just called out the Uintas specifically as real wilderness, from which you can see I-80, windfarms and multiple towns from almost every major peak.

This kind of bullshit attitude is exactly why the Wasatch needs strong protection. "Oh, there's development all over the place already, what's one more thing?" is a positive feedback loop that eventually leads to lots more development decades down the line. You know one thought that never occurs to me when I look at Hidden Peak from surround peaks and ridgelines--that it's not an eyesore. Further, so you can see the city from the peaks, BFD. Get outside of a half dozen or so of the most popular drainages and things get real wild real fast.
    Get up on a peak in SL valley and all you see is development. I'm not saying it's good, just saying it's what it is. I don't know really that I'm for or against a tram to baldy, but I also don't know that I agree it makes it any more of an "eyesore" than any other lift at Alta.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 17-18

Jet fuel doesn’t contribute to global warming .

Flew over the Tushars this AM. Coverage still looks decent too [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	233852

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Bruh

Space is the ultimate wilderness if u think about it and you can see a lot of development up there lmao

Get up on a peak in SL valley and all you see is development. I'm not saying it's good, just saying it's what it is. I don't know really that I'm for or against a tram to baldy, but I also don't know that I agree it makes it any more of an "eyesore" than any other lift at Alta.

This will be able to be seen from the valley would be a difference, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    This will be able to be seen from the valley would be a difference, I suppose.
    You mean like the monstrosity atop snowbird, even before the new building? I mean you can see tram towers from a lot of places in the valley if you know where you're looking. I can see the building up there from clear over near the dump in sojo.

You mean like the monstrosity atop snowbird, even before the new building? I mean you can see tram towers from a lot of places in the valley if you know where you're looking. I can see the building up there from clear over near the dump in sojo.

Yep, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yep, exactly.
    So snowbirds was all good (well SOC fought it) but Alta baldy tram, which I still dont think I could see from the valley is going to ruin the views up there? C'mon now...

MBillie with hyperbole of the year.

20 years will be about the same as it is today .

It’s ok to not believe in Climate Change. Believe in #DragonEnergy Instead
    your idiot is showing....

all I know is 10 years ago, we were skiing the Y couloir in late april and this year it never came into play..... As a skier the effects of climate change are blatant and in your face all the time. its realer than real, real world bro. And I'm sorry if you don't believe in proven (over and over again) science, you're part of the problem. So go ahead, take your dragon ball energy and shove it up your ass.

I don't call it wilderness personally unless I can't see real hard signs of "man" when I look 360 degrees. Real hard to do that in the SLC valley. Sure it's all pretty, but let's not kid ourselves that it's wild. SLC valley is pretty developed, especially up big and little cottonwood canyons
    I get the wilderness in the central wasatch differs than say the bob marshall wilderness, but our urban wilderness areas are pretty neat and definitely can offer a wilderness experience if you know where to venture. I encourage to explore the lone peak and twin peak wilderness areas this summer before you move back east, you'd be surprised at solitude one can find.

So snowbirds was all good (well SOC fought it) but Alta baldy tram, which I still dont think I could see from the valley is going to ruin the views up there? C'mon now...
    No, Snowbird's restaurant was bullshit, which is why SOC fought it. The bigger picture here is the "It's just one more thing next to some other things" positive feedback loop whose logical conclusion in 20-40 years is major development everywhere outside of the Wilderness boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    your idiot is showing....

all I know is 10 years ago, we were skiing the Y couloir in late april and this year it never came into play..... As a skier the effects of climate change are blatant and in your face all the time. its realer than real, real world bro. And I'm sorry if you don't believe in proven (over and over again) science, you're part of the problem. So go ahead, take your dragon ball energy and shove it up your ass.

I get the wilderness in the central wasatch differs than say the bob marshall wilderness, but our urban wilderness areas are pretty neat and definitely can offer a wilderness experience if you know where to venture. I encourage to explore the lone peak and twin peak wilderness areas this summer before you move back east, you'd be surprised at solitude one can find.
    600 years ago Vikings were harvesting Grapes/Wine on the shores of Greenland and you’re going to complain about one down snow year?

As I said get back to me in 20 years idiot

Baldy is taller than hidden peak, more prominent and can be seen from the SL valley. and the monster on top of hidden peak is what we all fear Alta will end up doing eventually.

600 years ago Vikings were harvesting Grapes/Wine on the shores of Greenland and you’re going to complain about one down snow year?

As I said get back to me in 20 years idiot
    You don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about. Let's lay this out in cartoon form so we can bring it down to your level:

Here's some stoke for the stokeless.

From my favorite urban wilderness, thanks to the efforts of Save Our Canyons

Beta: I'd say 8-830 is prime time for east faces. We dropped in at 930 and the corn was still nice, fast and tasty, but we failed to top out due to post holing and the mountains waking up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk