Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Pushing it out further is kind of not possible since I'll already be there January, February, March etc. Just trying to salvage the week since kids have off from school and I'm off as well. Oh well. I'll reassess in a day or two. Thanks for the on the ground intel.
    We have people visiting from the East Coast over XMas. I sent the "we love having you visit, but you may want to reconsider" email yesterday, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    We have people visiting from the East Coast over XMas. I sent the "we love having you visit, but you may want to reconsider" email yesterday, FWIW.
    Geez.
    How's the fly fishing?

Geez.
    How's the fly fishing?
    Likely much better than the skiing right now.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Geez.
    How's the fly fishing?
    Looks good if you believe TheFugitive's instagram, but I'm still riding my bike at 7000-8000 feet.

Geez.
    How's the fly fishing?
    The fishing has been spectacular. If you want any beta hit me up. I might be able to be talked into floating a verdant river that is about a 3 hour drive away. Did it last weekend it was $$$

Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Pushing it out further is kind of not possible since I'll already be there January, February, March etc. Just trying to salvage the week since kids have off from school and I'm off as well. Oh well. I'll reassess in a day or two. Thanks for the on the ground intel.
    Flipside to the total lack of snow is that most other activities are still totally gtg. Hiking, biking, climbing, fishing, seasonal roads, etc. Plenty to do if you don't want to drop a bunch of money to ski Jay.

When it's December and most recent page of Wasatch thread has fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Flipside to the total lack of snow is that most other activities are still totally gtg. Hiking, biking, climbing, fishing, seasonal roads, etc. Plenty to do if you don't want to drop a bunch of money to ski Jay.
    Yes. sticking with flight. Just turning into more of a western mountain outdoors vacation. I would debate not even bringing ski gear but I leave it out there so, the question is what to do?
    Fishing could be a go, I have a soon to be 12 and soon to be 14 boys so they are up for that. Oh well, first world problem when one of my 5 Utah trips is skunked.
    On a lighter note, I was set for a Japan trip which timewise I don't think I can swing and my buddy keeps hammering my phone with massive dumpage in Hakuba. At least its snowing somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    The fishing has been spectacular. If you want any beta hit me up. I might be able to be talked into floating a verdant river that is about a 3 hour drive away. Did it last weekend it was $$$

That looks awesome. Way to take advantage of the weather

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    aint much freshies to be stealin and i hope the antijinx edit workie
    nice fishsticks
    maybe a roj and stokeless opinionated blabber free thread
    and ullr blesses us again this season
    shouldn't let the brown git ya downs
    been stackin cyber ski shit in the brown trailers and paddin the when its goods accounts

and takin the blessings of last seasons ample water
    to lay the whippy sticks on them golden browns poopfishes

gots my silver pass and started the snow reporter gig for i guess its the 7th season now this morn
    hard to give that kinda ski bum gig up
    eights 0 1 five duece one eights 1 zero 2
    if ya likes the og phone hotline source of info
    shops got transferable soli, sundance and a couple pow mow passes this season
    hopes to gets to share some turns n stoke with some mags again this year
    been since
    birds lds

may solisunday it
    ussw was good
    ET's la sals presentation was solid
    incorporate the b right on
    and i like turtles and tortioses
    unless they suck at weather guessing
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Gonna try first day at Alta Monday. Pm me if you want to get a few laps. Or look for neon pants and white helmet with green goat
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Buddy went up this morning, was stopped at the mouth of LCC and told that the snow tires or chains law will be strictly enforced this season. Even 4x4 or awd needs to have snows or chains on two tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Buddy went up this morning, was stopped at the mouth of LCC and told that the snow tires or chains law will be strictly enforced this season. Even 4x4 or awd needs to have snows or chains on two tires.
    Wow. I wonder if snowflake rated A/T tires will work or if they have to be "real" snow tires?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Wow. I wonder if snowflake rated A/T tires will work or if they have to be "real" snow tires?
    Snowflake rating is the "real" snow tire rating. If they don't allow 3PMSF tires I'm not sure what "snows" they are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Snowflake rating is the "real" snow tire rating. If they don't allow 3PMSF tires I'm not sure what "snows" they are referring to.
    link to the rules

https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r920/r920-006.htm

As long as your tire has the M+S designation (studded or studless) you are good to go according to that link.

My Toyo A30 is an "all season" it carries the M+S rating. Maybe ill print this link out, highlight the rules, and keep in car. My buddies in a subbie got turned around this morning. Has brand new All Seasons. I'll bet they carry the M+S if I know this person like I think i do...

This will present a TOTAL clusterfuck on powder days unless they get this shit figured out FAST...

M+S designation is pretty laughable in terms of actual performance in those conditions.

Almost a useless standard to draft a law around.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    link to the rules

As long as your tire has the M+S designation (studded or studless) you are good to go according to that link.

My Toyo A30 is an "all season" it carries the M+S rating. Maybe ill print this link out, highlight the rules, and keep in car. My buddies in a subbie got turned around this morning. Has brand new All Seasons. I'll bet they carry the M+S if I know this person like I think i do...

This will present a TOTAL clusterfuck on powder days unless they get this shit figured out FAST...
    Most all seasons I see have an M / S, M+S, M&S, etc rating. It's a design-based rating concerning the spacing of lugs, siping, etc.

3PMSF is what most consider the "real" snow rating -- as it is a performanced-based rating require the tire to pass specific tests on snow and ice. It's the standard required rating for places with serious traction laws like much of Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    M+S designation is pretty laughable in terms of actual performance in those conditions.

Fully agree. You could make an M+S tire with a stupid hard compound that would be useless in the snow.

the 10 years I have been skiing alta consecutively I have never run ANYTHING but standard "all season" tires. I drive a Tundra. Never once have they left me feeling like I needed more. If you know how to not be an idiot they are fine.

the 10 years I have been skiing alta consecutively I have never run ANYTHING but standard "all season" tires. I drive a Tundra. Never once have they left me feeling like I needed more. If you know how to not be an idiot they are fine.
    Facepalm.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Flipside to the total lack of snow is that most other activities are still totally gtg. Hiking, biking, climbing, fishing, seasonal roads, etc.
    Got just enough snow to screw a lot of this up, but not enough to open up any real skiing. Fack.

link to the rules

I'm going to print those regs out and keep them in my glove box.

Facepalm.
    how so? No accidents, never held anyone up behind me...hell never even had what i'd consider a loss of traction..

I grew up driving in one of the snowiest places in the US...Syracuse NY. Horrible snow removal, and deep snows seemingly out of the blue (lake effect). I've never run snow tires my entire life (im 46) regardless of location, nor has anyone in my entire family. I recall driving through that horrendous ice storm of the late 70's from CT to Syracuse, white knuckle for my dad for sure...no snow tires...made it just fine. Skills trump everytime, and if you're driving anything with true 4x4 and you need snow's its best you stay the fuck out of the mountains/snowy areas and maybe stick to Florida.

My 330xi with Blizzaks gets around WAY better than my 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevrolet with all seasons.

They were stopping every car at the mouth to "chat" this morning. All the LEO did was ask me if I had "good tires." Didn't even really look at them though and was inside his car.

I have snowflake sporting A/T tires and 4wd FWIW. Until you get into real deep snow FWD with real snow tires is better than AWD/4WD with all seasons IMO.

My 330xi with Blizzaks gets around WAY better than my 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevrolet with all seasons.
    i would never argue that specific tires for snow, especially studs will preform better than all seasons, my only argument is that all seasons work just fine if you take your time, which you should be doing in snowy conditions anyway.