Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    After 10 or so days of skiing pure shit at PCMR and Canyons, it was a pleasure to make turns at DV. Given the lack of snow and conditions, It is hard to believe how nice it is over there. Just about 90% of all lifts operational, no crowds, fine corduroy, now all we need is for the weather to cooperate. Like is good on this side of the wasatch.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Windy as hell up high in LCC. lots of snow transport going on. The recycled pow on Silverfox is money!

Farmer John vs I am my own artist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180107_141221013.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	867.7 KB 
ID:	220825

#voilemfg

Name:	IMG_20180107_141213775.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	220826

wasatch wiggle.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Farmer John vs I am my own artist.

Name:	IMG_20180107_141221013.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	867.7 KB 
ID:	220825

#voilemfg

Name:	IMG_20180107_141213775.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	220826

wasatch wiggle.
    Way to get after it fuckcat. Thinking about going for a walk this weekend if your interested
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Way to get after it fuckcat. Thinking about going for a walk this weekend if your interested
    Whoa...be fucking careful....

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Whoa...be fucking careful....
    Agree with skidog. This may not be the best time to tour. Let's see how things shake out. If we get 18-24" with over 2" water weight things will be dicey to say the least.

mobile update

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Agree with skidog. This may not be the best time to tour. Let's see how things shake out. If we get 18-24" with over 2" water weight things will be dicey to say the least.

mobile update
    you see the video from Cardiff doing column tests yesterday at 9500ft? SCARY.....there is feet of sugar.

Easy fellers... its okay. The majority of that is in the next 24 hours. Im lucky if I will be able to get out by sunday. Although i have limited firsthand this season I have followed the snowpack and understand the abject hazards that we are dealing with. I had chat w fucat a while back about touring. If this weekend isnt it I am good w that.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Easy fellers... its okay. The majority of that is in the next 24 hours. Im lucky if I will be able to get out by sunday. Although i have limited firsthand this season I have followed the snowpack and understand the abject hazards that we are dealing with. I had chat w fucat a while back about touring. If this weekend isnt it I am good w that.
    I have no problem pulling the plug on a tour and have done it the two times I toured this season and skied my skinner. Theres old and theres bold. There isnt old n bold. Im old and enjoy meadow skipping.
    Bunny Don't Surf

I have no problem pulling the plug on a tour and have done it the two times I toured this season and skied my skinner. Theres old and theres bold. There isnt old n bold. Im old and enjoy meadow skipping.
    This rain might be enough to saturate the snowpack at low-mid elevations if we're lucky.

It's going to be interesting to watch the uac report for the rest of the week.

here is the video i was talking about...this seems scary on a 31 degree slope

Oh yeah that looks ugly for sure. My last tour dug pits on two potential aspects NW and NE and bailed. That was in BCC out Pioneer ridge a couple weeks ago. Talked to patrol going out and coming in. They appreciated the beta and thanked us for turning back.

If it is avy-pocalypse like everyone is predicting (which is totally plausible, we are setup for it) I may just do a recon up grizzly or catherines for the excersize cause I need it. No skin off my nards...

36 degrees at 6:30. pretty solid sw wind. a little grabby on the down in patsy trees.

Name:	patsymarleytrees.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	220942

^ wet as hell around noon up that way. saw a party descending who said they ripped something out "pretty big" up on patsy. I went to the pass and came down the < 30º trees. it skied like shit, wet and grabby. aspect/time of day probably to blame, but wasn't gonna fool around with the n-facing... nice walk up anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    This rain might be enough to saturate the snowpack at low-mid elevations if we're lucky.

low-mid elevation? it was raining up to hellgate this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

Rain is a good thing?

I just can't believe its raining at 8K in January.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    rain to 8K was not that big of a big deal when i had a snowbird pass, but it's quite a miserable thing now i ski at snowbasin.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    low-mid elevation? it was raining up to hellgate this morning.
    Yeah, but I doubt it'll be enough water moving through the snowpack to "fix" things where we have feet of facets. We will see how it shakes out through the rest of the day.

The isothermal 6 inches of glop in the Toll Canyon area was at least pleasant for my lunch break fish scale excursion!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Rain is a good thing?

#remembermlk

couple years back (maybe 5 or 6 now) we had a rain event in the wasatch that brought rain all the way up to 10K feet. .....was the most miserable conditions for many weeks after....slide for life shit...watched 2 of my buddies enter into Stonecrusher at alta only to immediately slide without chance of stopping half way down the run...needless to say i backed off and took the ridge between jitterbug and crusher (which was actually pretty good since its treed mostly) to get to the saddle traverse into where then ended up stopping from their slides for life on crusher...

Its still weird to see rain this time of year that high up...but you know...orange man said its nothing to worry about so carry on.

#remembermlk

couple years back (maybe 5 or 6 now) we had a rain event in the wasatch that brought rain all the way up to 10K feet. .....was the most miserable conditions for many weeks after....slide for life shit...watched 2 of my buddies enter into Stonecrusher at alta only to immediately slide without chance of stopping half way down the run...needless to say i backed off and took the ridge between jitterbug and crusher (which was actually pretty good since its treed mostly) to get to the saddle traverse into where then ended up stopping from their slides for life on crusher...

Its still weird to see rain this time of year that high up...but you know...orange man said its nothing to worry about so carry on.
    Watched 2 of my buddies take the same death ride down the Needle. One self arrested on a whippet and was almost taken out by the other who was miraculously stopped by a small wind lip right before going over the low-angle cheese grader cliff bands at the bottom.
    Here's to hoping we won't tip toe around the rest of this shitty season.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Watched 2 of my buddies take the same death ride down the Needle. One self arrested on a whippet and was almost taken out by the other who was miraculously stopped by a small wind lip right before going over the low-angle cheese grader cliff bands at the bottom.
    Here's to hoping we won't tip toe around the rest of this shitty season.
    That was some season. That encounter sounds much scarier than stone crusher. Sure they could've hit a tree or whatever, but they slid down the middle of the run so all we're fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Agreed. Gonna take a lot more water than 2" to see widespread avalanching. Nothing wrong with going for a walk; walking and touring are two different sports in a winter like this.

If one is familiar with the terrain one is in and understands instability, there isn't anything wrong with a "walk".

That was some season. That encounter sounds much scarier than stone crusher. Sure they could've hit a tree or whatever, but they slid down the middle of the run so all we're fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I membah! I membah hopping into primrose off of the chips switchback and not stopping my somewhat controlled side slide till I hit chips again LOL... I memba!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Agreed. Gonna take a lot more water than 2" to see widespread avalanching. Nothing wrong with going for a walk; walking and touring are two different sports in a winter like this.

If one is familiar with the terrain one is in and understands instability, there isn't anything wrong with a "walk".
    Bingo! I leave johnny getrad at home when I'm touring. I go fast take chances inbounds where the wrecking crew is nearby to pickup the pieces. Its been a stressful holiday season for me between fuckshit snow, work, family in town, edible air in the valley and all kinds of non particular bullshit. The soul is frayed around the edges and a walk in the mountains is needed... then maybe some time on the river...

River going to take me, sing sweet and sleepy,
    Sing me sweet and sleepy all the way back home.
    It's a far gone lullaby, sung many years ago.
    Mama, mama many worlds I've come since i first left home.

Goin' home, goin' home, by the riverside i will rest my bones,
    Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Brokedown Palace