Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DHF DD vs Exo?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    <snip> again the wild rockr2 is better at everything.
    You're right about those Michelin Wild Rock'r2s. I'm going to get a 27.5" version when these stock High Rollers give up the ghost. Or I pinch flat them. Whichever comes first. Is suspect the second will come first.

And I, too, have come to the conclusion that 1000g (in a normal width tire - 2.3-2.5) is a minimum for me for a rear tire for the way I ride so as to not smash the shit out of my rim and pinch sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're right about those Michelin Wild Rock'r2s. I'm going to get a 27.5" version when these stock High Rollers give up the ghost. Or I pinch flat them. Whichever comes first. Is suspect the second will come first.

And I, too, have come to the conclusion that 1000g (in a normal width tire - 2.3-2.5) is a minimum for me for a rear tire for the way I ride so as to not smash the shit out of my rim and pinch sidewalls.
    The new bike came with dhf/dhr 2.3 exo combo so they allowed me to swap the front for a 2.5 and all they had was a dd so I thought it'd be a good combo if I put the huck Norris in the smaller exo rear. It was nice to compare a similar weight dhf to my new fave wr2. No surprise, both great tires and splitting hairs for difference. Bit better side knobs, sealing, protection(felt like I dinged the rim less but could just be circumstance), braking with the wr2 but all of that is close. Dhf rolls a bit faster(should snip some ramp to the center knobs on the wr2's ). High roller 2 felt squirmy to me(flex knobs) and several people I know(myself included) ripped a lot of side knobs off. I still find that weird because some people like them and don't have that happen but I've had friends show me ripped knobs unprompted. Jill kintner and ratboy choose hr2's so idk what's up. Maybe just Canada gets the ones that side knobs rip off. Two tires on the radar I'd like to check is the new Gwinn enduro Aquila 975g(a cst 2.4)and the new beefed up e thirteen trs(not sure if it's also called trs but same tread but reinforced). Original Trs looked flexy and I've seen people flat and complain about that but the new one is a 1000ish gram(2.35= to a 2.5cst width)version

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Alright. I think I'll go with the local DHF option unless they also have an HRII in stock also. It will get me back riding quicker and I also get to support the LBS.
    I'll probably never run a DHF DC front again, unless it's for maximum speed with a SS rear like you're running. But it's still a major downgrade in front traction vs. the 3C.

I rest my case.

https://teamrobotkillsyourface.com/2...3/were-back-2/

“Minions are great.”
    That statement obscures a whole world of complexity. Spoken from a random rider at a trailhead, that statement would communicate ignorance. When it’s written by a tech writer on a major website, we can probably rule out that explanation.

Sure Mike, I’d jump in front of a bullet to save the 27.5 Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky DH. They’re the single best tire ever made. They’re so good Danny Hart decided to start winning again when he got back on these tires. Children sing songs of their greatness and mercy.
    By comparison, here are my thoughts on the relative grip of the 27.5 Minion DHR 2.3 3C Maxxterra EXO as a front tire:

It’s galling that he refers to “Minions” as if they’re one coherent group of like things. A quick three minute scan of the Maxxis website told me there are 106 tires currently bearing the “Minion” moniker, including 26″ single-ply wire bead tires, the all-but discontinued DHR I, semi-slicks, and fat bike tires. I’ll concede that in some articles Mike wasn’t talking about “Minions” generally, but more specifically to the DHF. Even then, there are 36 different incarnations of the DHF, and some of them truly suck.
    In a harder compound, the DHF is solidly okay as a back tire, but will leave you flatly whelmed on the front. The casing on any EXO DHF tire should read “All Rocks: Enter Here.” Maxxis still makes a 26″ wire bead single-ply hard compound 2.35″ DHF… what is that tire made for? I think it’s from their new “Direct to Klunker” line:

Maxxis capitalizing on the two-second Klunker fad with their 26″ single-ply wire bead options. It’s lighter than an old downhill tire, while still feeling outdated and ironic.

One of the most disappointing tires I’ve ever ridden was a DHF. I didn’t do my research when I excitedly saw “3C” on the new-ish 2.5″ WT DHF. I thought 3C meant “same rubber as the downhill tires,” but I missed the part where it said “Maxxterra.” Later I discovered that the taiwanese word “Maxxterra” can be translated in english as either “50 durometer side knob” or alternately “kill you on wet roots.” Fortunately a sharp rock at Snowshoe put that tire out of my misery, like so many other EXO tires before it.
    That said, I've ridden the old style maxxpro 60a single compounds, and think they are generally more grippy than the current DC compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I rest my case.
    Nobody cares about your 'case' jongsnow.

I rest my case.
    You're resting your case after literally doing the exact thing he's complaining about in your previous post.

You're blathering on about 3C tires without acknowledging that there's a bunch of variations of 3C tires. That's no different than saying "Minions are great tires."

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You're resting your case after literally doing the exact thing he's complaining about in your previous post.

You're blathering on about 3C tires without acknowledging that there's a bunch of variations of 3C tires. That's no different than saying "Minions are great tires."
    God dammint. Read the quote:

Sure Mike, I’d jump in front of a bullet to save the 27.5 Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky DH. They’re the single best tire ever made. They’re so good Danny Hart decided to start winning again when he got back on these tires. Children sing songs of their greatness and mercy.
    By comparison, here are my thoughts on the relative grip of the 27.5 Minion DHR 2.3 3C Maxxterra EXO as a front tire:
    Anybody complaining about the traction of a Maxxterra, who hasn't tried a Super Tacky, is doing it wrong.

Also, in my previous posts, I was VERY careful to differentiate between the MAXXGRIP and MAXXTERRA 3C.

Obviously, nobody is going to confuse a DHF or shorty 3C with a Ikon 3C XC race tire, unless they're an idiot.

Also, in my previous posts, I was VERY careful to differentiate between the MAXXGRIP and MAXXTERRA 3C.
    I'll probably never run a DHF DC front again, unless it's for maximum speed with a SS rear like you're running. But it's still a major downgrade in front traction vs. the 3C.
    mmmhmm.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    mmmhmm.
    Obviously I'm talking about 3C MaxxTerra vs. DC, because THAT'S WHAT HE WAS RUNNING.

Sorry.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 10-30-2017 at 06:04 PM.

obviously.

WTF?
    Is la rawj back?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

And Team Robot! Hurray!
    No longer stuck.

I have some Minions waiting for Spring. SS Exo for the rear, DHF 3c exo maxterra for the front. So, according to this new rog-like alias, I'm going to die?
    No longer stuck.

I have some Minions waiting for Spring. SS Exo for the rear, DHF 3c exo maxterra for the front. So, according to this new rog-like alias, I'm going to die?
    That seems like a pretty common setup. But don't expect a whole lot of traction or drastically reduced rolling resistance from the SS.

That seems like a pretty common setup. But don't expect a whole lot of traction or drastically reduced rolling resistance from the SS.
    Um. Do I need to say it?
    No longer stuck.

DHF DD vs Exo?

Darn. I was just thinking that I really like the traction and reduced rolling resistance from the SS on my ride today.

I also don't mind the dual compound DHF. I think I was right: wider tire + harder compound = little to no change.

Seth
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 10-31-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Darn. I was just thinking that I really like the traction and reduced rolling resistance from the SS on my ride today.

I also don't mind the dual compound DHF. I think I wasrighty: wider tire + harder compound = little to no change.

Seth
    Sounds like a good setup. But you're riding a 29er, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Minion SS rolls noticeably better than Minions and HRII. Traction depends. Cornering traction is the same as other Minions. There's a weird squirm in really loose stuff as you transition - and when riding on-center - but you get used to it. It tends to get skittery under braking over loose/dry, particularly on steep descents. The couple of months I ran the SS, it didn't rain, so I can't speak to wet conditions. It doesn't rain much here during the summer, so it'll probably be my go-to rear tire.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Wow!!!! The minion SS rolls better than a DHF or DHR2??? OMG!

No shit it rolls better. But it doesn't roll massively better than a DHF DC 2.3, or even all that much better than an Aggressor DDC 2.3". Both of which have far more traction in most conditions. But hey, if all you do is climb fire roads and lap flow trails, the SS is going to be great.

Try running a 3C MAXXTERRA rear tire, and then get back to me about how rear tire traction doesn't help.

You know nothing, John Snow
    No longer stuck.

You know nothing, John Snow
    4.5 Posts a day for 11-1/2 years, completely devoid of any worthwhile content. That's quite the accomplishment.

At least I offer some experience and opinions that go beyond whacking off on the internet.

You know nothing
    No longer stuck.

At least I offer some experience and opinions that go beyond whacking off on the internet.

sort of....
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

You know nothing
    You're quite the master baiter, you clearly get plenty of practice.

Fuck off, troll
    No longer stuck.