Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    I have mine sitting in my car. Can't decide whether to test it on my new Enforcer Pros or on an existing ski.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Are you sure? After reading a bunch on the topic, I became convinced it is the same exact stuff (like, DPS bought the patent rights and/or is licensing it from the previous peeps).
    I'm sure. DPS outsourced the development to people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    Cool so care to add more than "I might know a dude who helped develop this"?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    I have mine sitting in my car. Can't decide whether to test it on my new Enforcer Pros or on an existing ski.
    Something you already know, so you can try to feel any difference. Does it only come with enough for 1 application?
    Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    Can we touch you?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

You should listen to the Blister podcast on this...they actually talk to the chemists
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    You should listen to the Blister podcast on this...they actually talk to the chemists
    Truthfully I dont give 2 shits what a chemist says...proofs in the puddin so they say....lets get some real world feedback. We really won't know until end of 2018/2019 season, because id assume if its worth a shit it'll be good for one season. Hell I only wax my skis once a season most seasons and im ok..helps when you mostly get to ski softer snow (not this year really). Gotta wait til end of next for someone that applied this season, need to see the magic juice work in the long run.

Does this answer the "summer wax" question. Would those using it still need to put that thick summer coat on (i never ever have)? Still don't know if the question of can you put regular wax on after applying this has been answered. Maybe its in the podcast...meh....ill wait for some mag feedback.

you would have to test it by doing one ski with Phantom glide and leave one ski not

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    well I talk to dentists every day
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you would have to test it by doing one ski with Phantom glide and leave one ski not

well I talk to dentists every day
    Well I think you could tell well enough after a season of use if you still felt good glide, could have some placebo after dropping coin for magic juice though.

Agree though best test would be 1 ski trad wax, 1 dps juice

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

Didn't get very deep into the science with them, but I do know there's a temperature-responsive polymer component that's supposed to give it good glide over a range of temperatures, and it gets good penetration through the entire thickness of the base. I'm pretty sure you can put normal wax over it - good for really warm or really cold days outside of the window where the phantom glide stuff is supposed to be good. I dunno if that podcast covered that, I haven't listened to it.

For how I know anyone involved: the MSE department at the U is tiny, so everyone knows everyone. There's a consulting company that a couple professors run that will crunch through R&D like this or solve problems for companies that don't have the resources to do it themselves, like DPS. I've done work through them and had some exposure to a couple other projects, and everything I've done or seen has been original development and original solutions consistent with publishable academic research. Work that isn't subject to NDA's gets published pretty often.

Ok 161 posts so far, has anyone actually bought the shit, spooged it on their skis and tried it or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Tits or no, I wouldn't let those bimbos touch any of my fucking skis.

bump

I was on a hut trip and one of the crew had just treated a set of DPS with Phantom, he was waxing eloquent NO he was raving on about Phantom but I think it was an inconclusive test really and it should be noted ... he is a DPS dealer

we had 40cms of new at just above zero and then it went to -25C and the last day was -15 ish he seemed to be sliding ok, the bases look like any other waxed base, skin application was fine didn't leave any residue but then we got noting to compare it to and I don't think the skins had been leaving any glue cuz all his shit is always new

He did take out the guide/hut operator's DPS 106 to treat which will be an interesting real life day in day out acid test of the product in real life conditions,

Being a DPS dealer there have always been a lot of dentists, doctors, lawyers, accountants wanting to give him money and I predict he will sell a lot of this stuff, I asked what is selling and he said " anything DPS or Arcterxy " he told me DPS is the single biggest product he has ever sold in 15 yrs of selling skis and bikes

I think its all gods way of telling you ...you have too much money

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Ok 161 posts so far, has anyone actually bought the shit, spooged it on their skis and tried it or what?
    I've been waiting for the time to do it + the sunlight to do it line up. :/
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I got some, still haven't applied. I'm a total non-waxer. Thought this would be a good solution to keep things gliding. I'm not in a hurry.

I want to guess 2 part polymer resin. Look how far epoxy has come recently. Super thin viscosity long set times. Base grind, wipe clean, mix and apply, screen clear of edges or follow with an edge grind.

Then just base grind to refresh? My guess, two part polymer resin. This shit is going to clog a lot of belts and shops will be grinding the stone more often. Wintersiger piggy back?

Why don’t you see epoxy used in bathroom and kitchen floors? Because it’s slipery.

That’s my guess.

The thing that pissed me off the most is DPS fucking crowd funded some clowns out of a quarter million dollars to put epoxy on a base

I weigh a lot, so I go fast without it.
    Last edited by bobbuilds; 02-14-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I got mad and forgot to add
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
    I weigh a lot, so I go fast without it.
    well wouldn't you go a little faster with faster skis ?

Truth.
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

I’ve got one day on some Phantom’d boards. Short story, after the first run and a half where there was noticeable friction and a ‘funny’ feeling from the skis, they skied like a nicely waxed board. High speed big turns, low speed short turns, even ultra low speed in the lift lanes, felt good and slick. Ofcourse its only 1 day, but so far so good.

More details:

East Coast, Air temps mid to high twenties, I’m assuming snow temps similar. Snow was generally some new man made with day old natural mixed in on groomers, Natural trails were piles of manmade with ice below. Runs were on east/south facing slopes catching the morning sun and warmer due to the sun, as well as north facing slopes seeing only shadows and certainly a bit colder. I did not feel any difference in glide across the board. I’m usually an every 2-3 day waxer, use the high range bulk hot/warm/cold waxes, though occasionally splurge on the more temp specific range waxes. Would like to say I can feel when I screwed up the temps, but who knows, its all voodoo anyway.

As for application, was pretty straight forward following the directions. I did clean the bases, and did some base repair prior, no stone grind. So I should not have had much residual wax involved. Boards were ones I had approximately 20 days on already, fwiw, they were Praxis but not the red ones. I ran out of sun during the second cure, only had about an hour and a half, so I took them inside and gave them 3 hours the next morning, completing the finishing process then. It didn’t seem to adversely affect anything, but then again how would I know. So far so good, but need more days before I’m fully sold, but pretty positive so far.

Whole Thread...DPS Phantom.

Today's Post:
    Well, I had a chance to take out the newly tuned Phantom prepped skis today. Last week we sent the Cassiar 95's to @smoothrides to have them prepped and cleaned up. This test pair had about 30 days on them, mostly by @Andy Mink, with the sparce Tahoe contitions and it was time to give the skis some love and to see what happens to Phantom after a base grind. @smoothrides had the skis for a day or so and in his usual prompt manner the skis were returned to us with a fresh 1*/2* bevel and a nice thumbnail grind and I will say the skis looked better than new. Today I had a chance to get them in the condtions that everyone was asking how they were, cold new snow. Mt. Rose was 10* with a recorded 5-7" of fresh squeaky snow. I immediately knew that the Phantom would work well because the Cassair's were sliding around under my feet when I was putting them on. Gliding over to the lift was pretty effortless. I would say the skis felt better than if I had a red wax on but not quite as good as if it was cold weathr specific blue wax. Where the usual rule of thumb is that red is for 80% of your skiing and blue and yellow account for the 10% on either end, I would say that the Phantom easily covers more than half of that 10% on the blue end...and for that person who doesn't use a blue, this will be more than fine for them too. We have yet to subject our tests ski to anything that doesn't let them stand up to DPS's claims. This pair of skis has about a years worth of on snow time for the typical skier and is now ready for another year with it's fresh grind. Hard to argue that.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Has anyone put this shit on, skied a few days, done a base grind and skied it again.

I doubt anyone is questioning its ability to work as a wax, but rather it’s one-and-done application.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Has anyone put this shit on, skied a few days, done a base grind and skied it again.

I doubt anyone is questioning its ability to work as a wax, but rather it’s one-and-done application.
    Serious question - aside from the number of days, isn't this what Phil reported on right above your post? They put about 30 days on a pair, had it ground, and it seemed to revitalized the wax (if I read correctly). Is the discrepancy in number of days what you're curious about?

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Serious question - aside from the number of days, isn't this what Phil reported on right above your post? They put about 30 days on a pair, had it ground, and it seemed to revitalized the wax (if I read correctly). Is the discrepancy in number of days what you're curious about?

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I read it as, they skied the skis (demos whatever), ground them, and then applied. My reading comprehension might suck though.

I got that the ski had Phantom applied 30 ski days ago and just had a fresh grind. It then appeared to work as advertised, although the apparently very high quality tune probably had something to do with the good performance.

My inital questions around Phantom were more about how it performs if you don't get a grind every 30 days. Sure, on a low snow year, I'll probably hit enough rocks to warrant a full tune in that time frame, but if I'm not hitting anything, I personally don't want to be getting my skis ground just to refresh the glide--that adds significantly to the already high cost of Phantom over waxing at home.

Initial reports are fairly positive beyond issues around the curing process in places with weak sunlight, but I haven't seen anything about how it performs in the absence of regular full tunes.

I read Phil’s post as the skis were ground and then had phantom applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I got that the ski had Phantom applied 30 ski days ago and just had a fresh grind. It then appeared to work as advertised, although the apparently very high quality tune probably had something to do with the good performance.
    My reading, too