Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    I ordered 2 kits. One for a new ski and the other for an old one. Getting a base grind and tune this week on the old one. I am a really lazy waxer ( one in 10 days skied ) so I figure I have little to lose if it doesn't work.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I applied A packet to new skis after base cleaner and set it to cure for 5 hours in the sun and it was bone dry like the base absorbed it all. They said it is supposed to be gummy after curing. Same with the B packet. It was 90 degrees the last few days so I wonder if it was because it was hot that it got all absorbed or not ? I guess I won't know until winter if the install was a success. My older skis are getting tuned and ground so I will be curious if the Phantom looks different in the application stages when I apply it next week.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Okay... Here is a wild idea. One of my business colleagues sent me this from a show yesterday. DPS has been there multiple years because I get a picture each year. :-)

Attachment 236849

Today, I read the article below. The "low-maintenance ski systems" caught my eye. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that DPS engineered Phantom Glide as a way to reduce maintenance and upkeep of their skis (or any skis for that matter) to deferentiate themselves and make them more appealing to the military. As a bonus, they can sell this to the general population also.

Seth

https://www.military.com/defensetech...ski-boots.html
    That is interesting..

Bump.

Not buying into it yet, but anybody know if the skivisions base tool would do the trick to freshen up the bases. I think “yes.” Would this stuff muck up the stones beyond the normal cleaning process?

http://www.slidewright.com/base-flat...cturing-plane/

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Granted, the dude runs a ski shoppe, and his shit always tuned, but it made me a believer
    Yeah I got no idea how well my Helio 116's are tuned as I bought them used and I've only skied them a few times...but damn it was cool how much glide they had on a t-shirt day.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Looks Phantom 2.0 is being released now, anyone have word on curing stations showing up at local shops?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Looks Phantom 2.0 is being released now, anyone have word on curing stations showing up at local shops?
    TGR Forums mobile app
    I took a pair of new skis into Evo's Seattle store today for a remount and asked about getting a Phantom treatment just for the heck of it. Shop guy said they weren't doing it now and I'd have to order it off the site and apply it myself. Grumbled about not having the space/time to cure a bunch of customers skis at the same time.

I figured if anyone would be set up for applying it in the area, Evo would. Guess it's still too soon for them to commit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    I took a pair of new skis into Evo's Seattle store today for a remount and asked about getting a Phantom treatment just for the heck of it. Shop guy said they weren't doing it now and I'd have to order it off the site and apply it myself. Grumbled about not having the space/time to cure a bunch of customers skis at the same time.

I figured if anyone would be set up for applying it in the area, Evo would. Guess it's still too soon for them to commit to it.
    Ha, funny enough, tomorrow I'm picking up a pair of new skis from there I just had mounted and was going to ask them about it. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Be sure to say hi to Thing #1 when you're at evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Ah, he's working there now?

Yup. Since last xmas. He's killing it!

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Who the hell is Thing #1 and how do I say hi to them?

Ask for Philip.

PSA: Phantom 2.0 is 10% off ($90) and dps will kick in $10 to the Utah Avalanche Forecast Center with your purchase. Buy on their website dpsskis.com/phantom and use code UTAHAVY10. Ends 9/18. Thinking of trying it out just cuz.

Any ideas on doing your own indoor UV cure? I ordered some, but it won't be here until Nov. Needs >32F and a few hours of dirct sun for outside, which is hard to guarantee in Nov.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I think that this is a marketing thing. Wax your skis 1x/2wks. You will be happier.

Right...take away a layer of base, so you can use the product. ....Olive oil. This is ridiculous, and no substitute for some good CH7

Leave it to DPS to see people on this shit. Bwahahahahahah
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Any ideas on doing your own indoor UV cure? I ordered some, but it won't be here until Nov. Needs >32F and a few hours of dirct sun for outside, which is hard to guarantee in Nov.
    Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    let us know if you find anything. im in the same boat.
    i just ordered a cheap and nasty and probably illegal uv lamp online thatll take a few weeks to arrive. ill see how dodgy it is first before buying a phantom set tho.

local tanning salon?

South facing window?

The Phantom DPS UV box is in at evoSeattle, and skis are being done.

Most of the kits so far have been the original, which takes 1 hr to cure for part A and 1 hr for part B, but the 2.0 version is supposed to be 20 minutes/20 minutes. Hard to imagine anyone doing it outside anywhere near Seattle now, they say clear sky with no clouds @ 106 F. is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    South facing window?
    UV gets filtered by glass quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    local tanning salon?
    That's a good idea. Could probably do 2 pair of skis at a time. But here is what I learned with a little google: those tanning salons beds emit 3-5x the intensity of midday sun so a tanning salon is gonna charge $10-20 for 15-20 minutes.

Since the cure station is 20 minutes instead of 60min in the sun, I assume they have similar output to a tanning bed? If so, I ought to be able to drop in and say "here's $20" and spend 40 minutes curing 2 pairs?

Also @gregl

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Phantom DPS UV box is in at evoSeattle, and skis are being done.
    Meant to chime in again and update my last post to reflect this (they weren't offering it a couple months ago). I did bite the bullet and dropped off a pair of Enforcers for the Phantom treatment last week. They were new and hadn't been touched since the factory so I figured why not... I also like the idea of having a pair of skis that I can just leave in the rig all year, ready to go. Evo charges 150, btw... 100 for the Phantom + 50 bucks for the application. I've spent money on far dumber stuff... turnaround time (as of today) was under a week.

Had two sunny days with temps the high 30s low 40s which means high 40s ambient on my deck + high altitude gets extra UV despite the winter sun angle.

TIME: Did 10 pairs of skis and nearly 1 hours work per pair. Glad I didn't have to go the tanning salon route as that would have been a nightmare logistically.

CLEAN
    1. Wipe base with water and dry
    2. Wipe base with base cleaner, nylon rotobrush, and dry (repeat as necessary until clean)
    3. Wipe base with water and dry

PART A
    1. Knead the crap out the packet for a few minutes
    2. Dribble contact to contact
    3. Spread around linerarly with the foam spreader until it's willing to stop beading, then spread to tip/tail
    4. 3x rotary motion passes tail->tip->tail with the foam spreader and increasing pressure
    5. Side Edge wipe withe foam spreader, add back to the base, linear pass
    6. Wipe side edge and sidewall with paper towel
    7. Sun cure (I did it for 3 hours even though the instructions say 1 because of the winter sun).

CLEAN A
    1. One pass with light scraper (this stuff is soft).
    2. Nylon rotobrush until A residue is gone

PART B (just like PART A)

CLEAN B (after discussing with Peter from DPS)

AT: (To prevent skin glue contamination)
    1. Nylon Rotobrush
    2. Cork
    3. Wet washcloth and dry
    4. Apply old skins (optional, to be super safe)

Alpine:
    1. Cork then ski
    Last edited by Summit; 11-20-2018 at 06:51 PM.