Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thumbs up DPS Phantom Glide

Yo TGR chaps,

How is it possible you dont have any intel on this exiting new product from DPS?

Halloween-themed lube seems like a strange brand extension, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    Yo TGR chaps,

How is it possible you dont have any intel on this exiting new product from DPS?

Who says we don't?

Quality wax is already overpriced enough as it is to consider adding DPS special sauce.

Got the pre-kickstarter e-mail. It’s a premium priced lifetime universal “wax”. Could be worth considering if the glide is as claimed, and depending on how regularly it requires stone-grinding to rejuvenate the surface.

All the marketing material is out and I’ll post a pdf and more when I get to my office. It’s a “1” time wax...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Also, it’s discussed on the blister podcast that came out this am.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Read the PDF but have not listened to the Blister podcast.

First impression is... meh. Lots of marketing speak and little real information.

Any material scientists or chemical engineers in the house?

Sounds like the product chemically alters the base material... permanently hardening it and closing the pores that would normally entrap traditional wax.

Not inspired by the mention of "just a base grind every 30 days" to refresh the glide... uh, no.

Slower than fresh wax, but by how much?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    dps lube on a Praxis base sounds like a slick idea
    I see what you did there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Is this the "Juice" product, or an extension/modification of that, that DPS used on some of their skis last year?

https://looknowax.com - edit - looks like the permanent juice product is no longer available, but old page with details out there.

If so - I am sure a number of people in the forums have skied on it or something similar already.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 11-01-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

DPS Phantom Glide

Lost me with the 30-day base grind program. (Makes wanking motion)

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Not inspired by the mention of "just a base grind every 30 days" to refresh the glide... uh, no.
    Not seeing this on the Kickstarter - they say:

"Phantom’s sophisticated, timed polymerization process permanently penetrates the entire thickness of the base material with powerful go-fast fluoro compositions designed to operate across all snow temperatures. When the ski or snowboard goes into a shop for stone grinding, the next fresh layer of Phantom is exposed – ready to glide. "

And:

"Does Phantom change the appearance of the skis?
    Your skis or snowboard will retain a glossy black appearance after a Phantom application. After thirty days or so of use, any base material will begin to look “dry” as snow abrasion starts take its toll. At this point, a stone grind will freshen the appearance to new."

So they say that a grind is needed to refresh the "appearance" but don't specifically say whether it's needed to refresh the glide. Does the PDF say differently?

Agree with the others - fuck doing a base grind every 30 days.

Scotchbrite.....?

Smells of pure bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Every 30 days with a particular pair doesn't bother me. I probably do that already.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Is this the "Juice" product, or an extension/modification of that, that DPS used on some of their skis last year?
    Descriptions seem pretty different. Looks like Juice is an apply-and-go overlay; Phantom needs to penetrate overnight. (insert your-mom joke)
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Not seeing this on the Kickstarter - they say:

"Phantom’s sophisticated, timed polymerization process permanently penetrates the entire thickness of the base material with powerful go-fast fluoro compositions designed to operate across all snow temperatures. When the ski or snowboard goes into a shop for stone grinding, the next fresh layer of Phantom is exposed – ready to glide. "

And:

"Does Phantom change the appearance of the skis?
    Your skis or snowboard will retain a glossy black appearance after a Phantom application. After thirty days or so of use, any base material will begin to look “dry” as snow abrasion starts take its toll. At this point, a stone grind will freshen the appearance to new."

So they say that a grind is needed to refresh the "appearance" but don't specifically say whether it's needed to refresh the glide. Does the PDF say differently?

Agree with the others - fuck doing a base grind every 30 days.
    You're right, it doesn't specifically say it's needed to refresh the glide, though that is kind of inferred. My bad, but still...

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Descriptions seem pretty different. Looks like Juice is an apply-and-go overlay; Phantom needs to penetrate overnight. (insert your-mom joke)
    So Juice used to sell 2 products. Juice Pocket (which they still sell) and Juice Permanent (seems pulled - my guess would be now sold). Website is still up with a quick google search though so you can read about it. I know as we looked into it a bit last summer, but ended up not ordering any.

Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Interesting. Definitely could be related.
    not counting days 2016-17

Does it work in extreme cold & warm, when you need wax the most? And if not, does it allow application of cold or warm wax on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Does it work in extreme cold & warm, when you need wax the most? And if not, does it allow application of cold or warm wax on top?
    If you follow the links, there is a bunch of information coming out.

This graph represents the difference between conventional waxing and phantom.

Name:  phantom graph.png
Views: 4875
Size:  149.1 KB
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Makes me think of melt skis (https://melt-ski.com) - any experience concerning the no wax base on them?