Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    The patent (this look like the same thing) is an interesting read if you have the patience to wade through it:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170198167A1/en

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Any material scientists or chemical engineers in the house?
    I'm a materials scientist who knows/worked with the people involved, but I didn't work on this project. Talked to them about it earlier this year and the science is legit with a couple cool tricks. Lots of in-lab and on-snow testing it sounded like. We'll see if it holds up to market use.

Just talked to an insider

Just spoke with someone at DPS. They have been working on this technology since last winter and have been getting a working product since then. From what I interpreted the kick starter is to offer a preliminary release to the public at a discounted rate. I guess it works, according to the people at DPS.

The people trying to sell it say that it works? No shit.

The reason for the kickstarter I'd guess you have to buy the precursor chemicals and the processing in large batches that require that up front capital. It's like making shoes. You need hundreds of thousands of dollars to just make the molds for midsoles and outsoles. That's not even the cost of the materials or the construction of the uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    get a little scratch % wise its a very small amount of the base so I might fiil/smoove it out and call er good.
    Well played Boyd Easley reference.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneCaresITele View Post
    Just spoke with someone at DPS. They have been working on this technology since last winter and have been getting a working product since then. From what I interpreted the kick starter is to offer a preliminary release to the public at a discounted rate. I guess it works, according to the people at DPS.
    1 post. Hmm so what do you do at DPS exactly?

Wow they worked on this a whole year? Geez that's a long time. Glad they put the time in.

Thanks for letting us know the product maker/ seller thinks it works great.

I'm sure some will bite and we can get a real world, objective opinion. Hell o I might even try, but wouldn't be expecting miracles.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thanks for letting us know the product maker/ seller thinks it works great.
    Who did you think started this thread?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

This is the yet released DPS Phantumb Mask prototype that combines years of overseas manufacturing with space age prepreg colorfast nylon fiber engineering technology that aims to disrupt the stagnant balaclava/neck tube industry--revolutionizing technical waterproof/breathable light face wear while providing the most advanced anti-vibe experience possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPS_Phantumb_Mask.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	218274

^lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

So I found this: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133726

About halfway down the page, somebody states:

DPS were coating their new skis with what may well be the same product last year, under a different name. From what I can remember this wasn't developed by DPS but they bought it in, so it looks like they have bought the rights.

My treated Wailer 112 Pures started showing dry patches after a 4-5 days, but I didn't notice any change in glide there was however a lot of man made snow in resort, which didn't help.
    I don't have an account, and so can't see the date of the post (and that is lame, so I'm not signing up), but I assume it is last season...? Funny, I can't find any mention of skis being factory treated on the DPS site - you'd think they'd be hyping it up like crazy.

Hmm...dry patches after 4-5 days, but still gliding. Sounds like this is maybe like an insurance policy for not having fresh wax, but definitely does not obviate waxing (I mean glide *must* decrease eventually, when the bases get all grey and fuzzy) - well unless you want to base-grind all the freaking time (personally I haven't had any bases ground for years). Not interested for now, but it will be interesting to hear long-term reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    So I found this: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133726

About halfway down the page, somebody states:

I don't have an account, and so can't see the date of the post (and that is lame, so I'm not signing up), but I assume it is last season...? Funny, I can't find any mention of skis being factory treated on the DPS site - you'd think they'd be hyping it up like crazy.
    Not the same stuff.

Add in the fact that bases to an extent absorb and collect crap from snow and air....pollen, diesel and grease from compressors, dirt, etc. This adds friction to the molecular structure of the base and slows things down. Base grind is one way to 'refresh' and get rid of some of the crap. Same as mineral spirits or other solvent to clean it up and then wax to get 'em going again.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    Not the same stuff.
    Are you sure? After reading a bunch on the topic, I became convinced it is the same exact stuff (like, DPS bought the patent rights and/or is licensing it from the previous peeps).

It looks like Juice is not only still on the market, but they've developed a new formula. So unlikely that they're the same.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    It looks like Juice is not only still on the market, but they've developed a new formula. So unlikely that they're the same.
    Dunno, it's all pretty fishy. Pocket Juice (which is definitely not the DPS product) is still on the market as normal. Juice Permanent (which I think probably *is* the DPS product) was off the market until recently, and now it is "exclusively available for rental stores and professional service centres." Why TF would they ever do that, unless there were some lucrative licensing agreement prohibiting them from selling to the general pubs?

Then there is Juice Infinity, currently available on kickstarter. This one is sort of in between: not permanant but supposedly lasts a full season (what does that mean? folks' "seasons" vary anywhere between 3-150 days), and looks easier to apply. This is also a looknowax.com product, but it appears they are trying to disguise that fact.

Must be expecting some *major* profit potential, to justify all this chicanery for fucking ski wax.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    This is just what I was told recently - so DPS can correct if I was told wrong.

DPS used Juice Permanent on a run last year. They approached Juice about buying them. Juice either said no or was dragging their feet. DPS decided just to go out and make their own. Enter Phantom.

Take that with a grain of salt, but seems to match what I was told last year (about DPS trying to buy Juice) and the timeline on Phantom development.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

I'm still waiting for them to announce they are impregnating all their skis prior to delivery. If it's so great and doesn't affect the base itself for addition of traditional wax later, why not? If they believe in it so much why shouldnt all their skis come with it out of the box?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    This is just what I was told recently - so DPS can correct if I was told wrong.

DPS used Juice Permanent on a run last year. They approached Juice about buying them. Juice either said no or was dragging their feet. DPS decided just to go out and make their own. Enter Phantom.

Take that with a grain of salt, but seems to match what I was told last year (about DPS trying to buy Juice) and the timeline on Phantom development.
    Certainly plausible.
    not counting days 2016-17

I suggest many of you listen to a few of the Blister podcasts on the subject. It'll answer some of your questions.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Skied a few skis with Phantom on them this last week. Seemed to work fine. I’ll buy in that it works well for most conditions but likely won’t be quite the same as cleaning your base and putting $40 of temp specific high grade wax in it every time you go.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Well played Boyd Easley reference.
    My steeze is so steezy that I just acted like I knew what you wre saying ... thank gawd for google
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Skied a few skis with Phantom on them this last week. Seemed to work fine. I’ll buy in that it works well for most conditions but likely won’t be quite the same as cleaning your base and putting $40 of temp specific high grade wax in it every time you go.
    Be interesting to see how continued testing goes.

That's my primary concern with this product: works well in most conditions. Bulk shop wax works well most of the time, but you still need specific applications for extreme conditions. I know everyone on TGR waxes their skis every night in their home laboratory, but most people only tune their shit when it starts to stick. If this stuff doesn't work as well on cold, dry new snow as it does on old, wet dirty snow, I don't see a lot of people plunking down $100 for it. And if it inhibits your ability to apply other waxes without damaging it, I wouldn't use it at any price.

Might be good for ski shops so they don't have to wax their rentals as often, if at all?

I can buy a bar of swix wax for 15 bucks and wax my skis 20 to 30 times before buying more wax. Price still doesn't seem worth it.

Plus if you buy new skis every year to 3 years it's definitely not worth it to put a 100 bucks into a pair of skis that you'll just resell and end up losing another 100 bucks when you flip the skis.

Make money. Buy toys.

Anyone buy Phantom and apply it with any luck?