Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    I have a box of 2.0 that I received for being a smartass on instagram. Would you guys apply this stuff to a low-tide & tree/bump ski which will see more rocks and gnar, or the high-tide planks that get the fluff?

which ever ski you are gona use lots that you can't be bothered to wax ?

I did my 120's cuz thats what I had with me when i got the freebie

If i had my druthers I might have put it on the Cochise ... the week after it snows ski
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    which ever ski you are gona use lots that you can't be bothered to wax ?
    Agree. For me that's my "travel ski" that I plan to take out of the country for a couple weeks at a time where I won't have access to my tuning bench.

Aspen SkiCo is in: Apparently phantom-ing their rental fleet.
    Did some pretty decent testing last year, from execs to patrollers. Pushed their chips in this year.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/loca...lo-to-phantom/

The prospect of it staying on skis when ripping skins is appealing. Repairs looks do-able, just keep a little extra on-hand for base repairs.

Too bad it doesn't come in a gorilla glue-like sealable bottle for such things.

Anyone have the 2.0 applied at any shops in New England? I see a good amount of shops have the cure station but looking for one thats done a decent amount of these / wont fuck it up

I am gonna jump in with my new skis this year that will be my primary skis. My every once in a while skis will probably just be waxed. I think definitely finding a shop with a proper cure machine is the way to go.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Meh it's not that hard to do yourself especially now that it takes WAY less time to cure.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Meh it's not that hard to do yourself especially now that it takes WAY less time to cure.
    Where are curing in the winter on your own?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I've had Phantom on several skis. The shit works. I especially like it for "travel skis" that won't be able to get on a bench for a extended period of time.

I have a box of original phantom 1.0 that's been sitting in my room for probably 2 years now. Think it's still good to throw on some new skis or is it better off tossing it and going for fresh stuff?

Edit: According to DPS there is no shelf life/expiration date. Gonna go for it.
    Last edited by Lind3n; 11-19-2019 at 11:07 PM.

This shit went away fast

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    This shit went away fast

Like a phantom would...

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    This shit went away fast

Really? I have it on 4 pairs of skis, works great. Seems like it's available more places all the time too

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I am going on day 60 or so on my skis with the 2nd gen Phantom...love it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What do you do for storage?

I fucked up before and didn’t storage wax, ended up with rusty edges. I know, less humidity in the storage locker.
    Are you storage waxing the phantom?
    Maybe oil the steel edges?
    . . .

you can still wax a ski that has been phantom glided

I didn't realize this till recently. Definitely adds to the appeal imo. I've got a freebie sitting on my bench at work I'm going to throw on my rock/spring slush/current daily drivers for next season. Figure I'll give it a go.
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 04-06-2021 at 09:29 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    only if you want to be faster than the guy who didnt wax his phantomed skis
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    only if you want to be faster than the guy who didnt wax his phantomed skis
    I saw in the wax thread that you don’t wax your entire demo fleet.
    Obviously you don’t worry about storage wax for those.

But any thoughts on protecting the edges during summer?

Could be a market niche for a new product?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    ......any thoughts on protecting the edges during summer?.......
    Tune edges for the next season and then give them a light rub with a block of wax. The very thin film of wax will repel moisture/prevent rusting but will ski off in a run or two. Zardoz Notwax/Base Boost is also a good rust preventative on edges.

Do not use oil/grease/petroleum jelly etc on the edges. Every season I get a few pairs in for service and the owners have applied Vaseline the edges which penetrates in to the p-tex adjacent to the edge and is nigh on impossible to get out and it seems inhibit future wax absorption etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Tune edges for the next season and then give them a light rub with a block of wax. The very thin film of wax will repel moisture/prevent rusting but will ski off in a run or two. Zardoz Notwax/Base Boost is also a good rust preventative on edges.

Do not use oil/grease/petroleum jelly etc on the edges. Every season I get a few pairs in for service and the owners have applied Vaseline the edges which penetrates in to the p-tex adjacent to the edge and is nigh on impossible to get out and it seems inhibit future wax absorption etc.
    As someone who is getting ready to store a bunch of demo ski for next season... I appreciate this.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    As someone who is getting ready to store a bunch of demo ski for next season... I appreciate this.
    Don't need to worry about it near as much in our neck of the woods... it's so dry down here it's not much of an issue. Make sure they're completely dry before you wax, store them someplace relatively cool (iron oxide is exothermic, heat makes it worse) and they'll be fine. As long as they're not in a leaky shipping container in a sunny parking lot you should be good.

For the layman, storing your skis under your bed or in a closet is best for summer. Attics (everywhere) and garages (anywhere it actually rains) are not a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Tune edges for the next season and then give them a light rub with a block of wax. The very thin film of wax will repel moisture/prevent rusting but will ski off in a run or two.
    I have started doing this after almost every time I ski since moving somewhere damp and salty. Way faster than waxing every time but does a good job keeping the rust away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

It's still useful to wax phantom especially if you are touring in near freezing conditions. I've had phantom bases ice up in spots probably related to skin glue too. Maybe I did a bad job of phantoming, or who knows, but seems less bad than non-phantom skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I ran the ski for a season without waxing but never got a chance to wax a the ski that had been phantom-ized