Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 310
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,180
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post

    The Volkl V-Werks series should be in the mix too.
    At least they didn't take the picture in front of the family Audi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    468
    I agree on the kickstarter bit, I'm biased because I love my RPC's but I'm going to guess this is mostly for marketing they're doing the kickstarter. A way to make a big bang this close to the start of the season. DPS has to have 35K$ sitting around in couch cushions, hell. That's like, what 10 dreamtime orders?

    I'm willing to try it anyway. My question is... what if it sucks? It sounds like it soaks into bases, are your skis then trash?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Redwood City and Alpine Meadows, CA
    Posts
    8,302
    Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    My question is... what if it sucks? It sounds like it soaks into bases, are your skis then trash?
    Yeah, that's the $64,000 question. That, and what about residual wax in existing skis?

    I bought one. I figure I'll try it on a pair and see what I think. The question is whether to try it on a pair of brand new skis or a pair that's old enough that the value of the treatment is at least half the value of the skis.
    not counting days 2016-17

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    78° 41′ 0″ N, 16° 24′ 0″ E
    Posts
    1,509
    Sounds like a low-viscosity liquid polymer which hardens over time. Probably something with initially low surface tension in order to use a capillary effect to soak into the sintered base material.

    The uhmwpe is inert, so I doubt this stuff actually reacts with it, and any hardening of the base is likely an effect of filling the pores with a polymer rather than air or soft wax.

    Reading the marketing copy in the email, it does sound like the effect wears off, and needs to be refreshed with a base grind, at which point my eyes rolled into my skull and I pressed delete.

    I'm firmly sceptical. But it's probably a great way to bundle additional sales for dps...

    Sent from my SM-G900F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Since they're supposed to ship a month from today, I doubt that they "need" to raise anything for it. It's good promotion.

    Although if they'd failed to make that target (they already have), it would be great way for them to find out that the market isn't there.


    Ummm... there's a lot of competition there.


    The Volkl V-Werks series should be in the mix too.
    I've seen worse. Extra points for the unironic onesie, ancient boots, actually carving, and no go-pros.



    New Yorkers like to ski, socially, and some of them are decent enough at it. Here's her mom in 1991's high style with legit looking Atomics:



    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 11-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,147
    UHMWPE base material is crazy dense, virtually non-reactive, and has no pores of the standard mythological type.

    I'd like an explanation of how the heck anything penetrates that stuff and splices itself into gajillion unit long polymers.

    Inquiring minds want to know....

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,599
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How come DPS the company that pretty much invented the $1000 boutique ski business needs to raise only $35K of kickstarter money for this industry changing product?

    Stinks.
    Kickstarter is free marketing and free money. Double-down? Why not?

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,404

    DPS Phantom Glide

    Waxing Skis is like meditation and I have not gotten yoga since I was at the bird xmas 2015 so it is simply relaxing. This seems like another way to avoid actual Ski care. Do dentists actually ski more than 30 days a season?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,599
    Sounds like you can apply wax on top. Not sure if that’s more or less effective. DPS did mention that it might be faster in racing to apply flouro on top of phantom. Not sure if thats because of high abrasion or if its because the wax is just as effective.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,391
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Yeah, that's the $64,000 question. That, and what about residual wax in existing skis?

    I bought one. I figure I'll try it on a pair and see what I think. The question is whether to try it on a pair of brand new skis or a pair that's old enough that the value of the treatment is at least half the value of the skis.
    You can try it on a pair of my skis...

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Redwood City and Alpine Meadows, CA
    Posts
    8,302
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    You can try it on a pair of my skis...
    Naah I'm good.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,391
    Worth a try...

  13. #63
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    87
    Ummm... $80 for two .5 oz packets of the stuff? I'll sit back and see if it catches on.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    87
    Actually, I take that back. I will lean a little further forward and still beat you down the hill.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    78° 41′ 0″ N, 16° 24′ 0″ E
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    UHMWPE base material is crazy dense, virtually non-reactive, and has no pores of the standard mythological type.

    I'd like an explanation of how the heck anything penetrates that stuff and splices itself into gajillion unit long polymers.

    Inquiring minds want to know....
    It does have pores of it's sintered. Otherwise, nope.

    Sent from my SM-G900F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    3,022
    Somebody is digging it:

    $76,123
    pledged of $35,000 goal
    688
    backers

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    832
    Yep... this is why you use Kickstarter. Gauging market reaction, using other peoples money and generating much more $$ then you would if you just launched the product itself. They aren't selling 75K of this stuff in 2 days normally...
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Somebody is digging it:

    $76,123
    pledged of $35,000 goal
    688
    backers

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,762
    Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Sounds like a low-viscosity liquid polymer which hardens over time. Probably something with initially low surface tension in order to use a capillary effect to soak into the sintered base material.

    The uhmwpe is inert, so I doubt this stuff actually reacts with it, and any hardening of the base is likely an effect of filling the pores with a polymer rather than air or soft wax.

    Reading the marketing copy in the email, it does sound like the effect wears off, and needs to be refreshed with a base grind, at which point my eyes rolled into my skull and I pressed delete.

    I'm firmly sceptical. But it's probably a great way to bundle additional sales for dps...

    Sent from my SM-G900F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks!

    I love my DPS. There are plenty of 5-10 year old DPS sticks that ski just about as well as on day one. Eventually you can beat their edges/sidewalls to death, but the carbon keeps the core reacting like new.

    But here I gotta say, sounds like DPS found a solution to their market saturation problem with very long lived skis: "get the customer to base grind multiple times per season and our skis will finally die in time to be replaced with our next major product cycle."
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cascades
    Posts
    536
    Wait wait wait wait wait...you have to get a base grind to renew the treatment?!? How often?!? How is that gonna save money or time in the long run?
    I gotta think that me waxing 4/5 times a season at home is no more time consuming or costly than taking my skis to shop, paying for grind, going back to shop to pick up, etc times X per season....

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Redwood City and Alpine Meadows, CA
    Posts
    8,302
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait...you have to get a base grind to renew the treatment?!? How often?!? How is that gonna save money or time in the long run?
    I gotta think that me waxing 4/5 times a season at home is no more time consuming or costly than taking my skis to shop, paying for grind, going back to shop to pick up, etc times X per season....
    They're suggesting every 30 days on snow.
    not counting days 2016-17

  21. #71
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,358
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    They're suggesting every 30 days on snow.
    no fucking way? That would amount to a ski likely lasting a season, maybe 1.5 depending on base thickness. Hell I barely wax my skis (once or twice a season) much less base grind every season.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    560
    Last edited by sickturd; 11-02-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: EDIT: Fuck You ASSHAT JOEYS!!!!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Read the PDF but have not listened to the Blister podcast.

    First impression is... meh. Lots of marketing speak and little real information.

    Any material scientists or chemical engineers in the house?

    Sounds like the product chemically alters the base material... permanently hardening it and closing the pores that would normally entrap traditional wax.

    Not inspired by the mention of "just a base grind every 30 days" to refresh the glide... uh, no.

    Slower than fresh wax, but by how much?
    Wait, so we can make our skis more stiff?

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,968
    Armada sold for $4M, and I have to assume they were a lot bigger than DPS.

    These brands aren’t worth shit compared to most businesses.

    After debt, taxes and typically absorption deal structure, those Armada guys were probably lucky to walk away with low to mid 6 figures.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    339
    This thread reminds me that I need to have my mechanic change the ball bearings in my flux capacitor. My mileage has been suffering.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •