Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Please describe the topper-to-truck interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    +1
    We have a rubber extrusion made that seals from the 1.5" round tube to the bed rails. The tubework lower rail has holes for through bolts that go into a machined adapter plate to either fit onto an existing track system (standard in a lot of newer trucks), or to a clamping setup for older vehicles like a traditional truck topper. No drilling into the bed required.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Looks like you are off to a great start. I am definitely interested.

Hard sided bottom for sure. Would like to see the option for windoors on the sides; those shouldn't be too hard to integrate with the aluminum skin. A pass through hatch that lines up with the small sliding window on the back of the truck cab would be nice. It's helpful to be able to carry long skinny material without having to tie it to the roof; I end up using that feature on my current topper quite often.

What is the projected mattress size for the F150 model?
    Thanks man. We will have some operable hard side options soon, whether it's a window in the panel, or the entire panel is operable and swings up. It will be sealed to the tube when closed. The initial run will just be fixed sides or fabric however, but the lower framework will all be the same and you will have the ability to switch from fabric to operable panels to fabric etc.

Initial mattress size for the f-150 model is just under a full size width with enough length to sleep someone 6'6" easily with plenty of clearance above. It can fit someone like 7'6" tall, but the front section of the camper has a pretty low roof so it wouldn't be comfortable.

We are going to come out with an 'XL' version for fullsize trucks with a queen size mattress, and may offer that as an option with the f-150 in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    Looks pretty perfect. Another 1st Gen ('06) double-cab Tundra owner interested in hardside version as well, when you make it.

For daily driving I like being able to use my rear view mirror, so windows front/back would be ideal. Also, slider pass-through window would be nice, for me mainly because we currently sleep with one kid in the back seat and one with us on the sleeping platform in the bed of the truck, so opening the pass-through allows the kid in the cab to talk to us as needed without him having to get out of the cab. Also, when we're on camping/climbing trips and shuttling groups around at low speeds on back roads the bed of my truck is often filled with kids and it's nice to have the slider open so we can communicate with the crew back there.

None of these would be deal-breakers for me at all, just ideal. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks dude!

If we can get 5 first gen tundras with the same bed length, I can add that as a production run for this spring.

I think we will have most of that functionality as options on release.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I hear Ford is releasing a '19 Ranger (already available in foreigner markets)...and I am interested. Will you guy make a version for that truck? (b/c I am also interested).

We will absolutely make a version for that truck. I really hope they bring the ranger raptor in...

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Very nice. Agreed about hard-sides on the topper, front/rear windows, and side doors or windoors. Curious when/if that stuff would be available, and if there's any point in reserving now if I plan to wait for some/all of those things.

Are the popup sides tent material, or that heavy, rubbery stuff like FWC uses?

Will production models have more cab overhang? Something like this would be nice to maximize space.

Attachment 214499
    We will know more about options and our production plan as it happens, probably have a better understanding once we finish our production prototype in december. The options will interface with the existing lower structure, so you could totally pre-order the system now, and we can ship the system without sides (for less than the 5k of course, still need to finalize that pricing option) and get the sides to you once they are developed.

The pop up sides are not that heavy vinyl product FWC uses. We have experimented with tent sides (like, 5oz bivy tent material) and less breathable heavier options and have found both to work pretty well. The lightweight tent material was too loud, to fragile, and doesn't work great for waterproofing if its dirty. We are moving towards something in the middle, more along the lines of a sunbrella fabric.

That's wolfmobiles truck eh? It will have a small overhang, but there is a lot of "fixed" bed space because of how we configured our floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Any pics of the AL skinned sides? What is the interior of the roof on the tent like-any carpet to keep condensation from dripping down?
    No photos yet, just ordered the chromoly for the production prototype lower. It will be beadrolled (to stiffen) .062-.090 5052 sheet (good corrosion resistance and workability).

There will be a zip up headliner on the roof panel. The panel itself is translucent which creates a really nice ambient light in the space so you can wake up with the sun if you want to, and if there is any light outside you can still see inside the tent. The headliner will allow you to black it out. The panel is also thermally neutral, with a decent amount of insulation from the trapped air in the honeycomb. There shouldn't be much in the way of condensation from anything but breathing, and the headliner will keep that at bay.

Additionally we are working on ventilation systems to keep that to a minimum, both passive solar powered vents that are always flowing a small amount of air, to a larger system to cool the tent when occupied. We want to have it all integrate into the sides of the tent so we don't increase stack height. You could totally install a fantastic fan and a marine solar vent on the roof as it sits, but we plan to have some better alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Checking in to agree with Bags. 2006 Silverado 2500 with 6.5ft bed and plenty of interest in something with solid sides on bottom/ability to access bed from side. No pass through needed as I have solid rear window. I realize my truck is not covered on your list and probably not where you'd start if you expand to GM due to older body style, but the design shown above would be sick.
    We will likely be able to support your truck when we launch the XL version, hopefully summer/fall of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Cool idea. Do you plan to sell only the platform/tent to DIYers who can fab the space frame?
    Yeah, we will be able to sell just the tent with the panelized floor system. It will probably be in the 3-3.5k range. We can also sell the spaceframe without any sides.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I went down the Overland Expedition wormhole this summer. I only bought a cheap RTT that I put on a fiberglass shell, but I looked at all the fancy shit out there, much like what Single is making. This one definitely seems to have a niche. RTT's are nice, but this is definitely a step up.

It is mind blowing how far you can go with this stuff. This product definitely has a niche I think for the Made in USA, and lower price point. I was looking for something like this but everything else is $9k and up. I'm sure you could get there adding Windoors, and other options pretty quick. Also the fact that the shell seems to be strong enough to support all the other shit you are going to bolt or strap onto it, makes it appealing.

I'd definitely go hard sided shell. Maybe instead of windows, the whole side could pop out when needed? Removable sides that were still water/wind proof would be pretty cool.

I really like the modular floor idea. Haven't seen that before but I think that's pretty useful. Especially with the cab over design, you can control how much room you have.

Lastly, it seems like the bed dimensions could be wider than a full size mattress if it was on a F150 with 6.5' bed.
    I think you'll be stoked on a lot of the options we are working on. We are staying narrow initially because we want to stay inside the existing body lines (vehicles taper from bed width to roofline) and offer a product that can support Tacoma/Colorado/Raptor off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Any idea if a motorcycle would fit under this? This is exactly what my dirt bike riding brother has been looking for.
    We have been getting a lot of questions about that. We could totally make a taller lower assembly that would allow a moto to clear if there was a market for it. We just carry our bikes on hitch carriers currently, but that doesn't totally work for multiple bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Very cool - checking in for the ‘06 Sierra 8’ bed folk.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Seems like theres a few of you guys! I might add a interactive part of the site that you can input your vehicle into if we don't currently support it....

Bumping for the start of our production process series. Starting with a blog, but going to move towards vlogs as well this week. Basically outlining the design, reasons behind decision making, and real world testing to see if it works. Should be a bit slapstick, informative and hopefully worth watching.

First post ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ

https://www.gofastcampers.com/gfc-blog/

^^ very well done and informative.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A ton of great conversation, I'll have to come back and finish reading through. Looking forward to the version for a full-size pickup.

I definitely agree with the pass through. This system, integrated with a similar hardshell topper for a flatbed like the Ute canopy would be my ideal.

Name:  UteTopColorado.gif
Views: 2974
Size:  85.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I think you'll be stoked on a lot of the options we are working on. We are staying narrow initially because we want to stay inside the existing body lines (vehicles taper from bed width to roofline) and offer a product that can support Tacoma/Colorado/Raptor off the bat.
    I notice that you keep referring to the Raptor instead of just F150. Is there a reason for this? Will it only work on a Raptor?

2000 s10 zr2?

I just asked her a dirty.....the truck that is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 8.50.04 PM.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	214825

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I definitely agree with the pass through. This system, integrated with a similar hardshell topper for a flatbed like the Ute canopy would be my ideal.
    Stay tuned...

I notice that you keep referring to the Raptor instead of just F150. Is there a reason for this? Will it only work on a Raptor?
    Apologies, bed size is the same so it will fit fine. I keep referencing the raptor because it is the reason we are supporting f-150 initially.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    2000 s10 zr2?
    Not in the immediate production plan, but if we can get 5 people with the same generation truck and bed length we can offer products for that vehicle right off the bat. Otherwise we are hoping to be able to make a custom option where we can build to any vehicle for a fee.

If a guy can afford a Raptor you should be charging him $20K for a tent with upgraded sticker package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write-up. Thanks for the thorough responses.

Any idea of overall height on a '16 Tacoma? Ballpark?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If a guy can afford a Raptor you should be charging him $20K for a tent with upgraded sticker package.
    Believe it or not, value per dollar (actual msrp, not paying over sticker like people have been) a raptor is actually good value. You can't build a "mid travel" ford for less money. A stripper crew cab is like 50k. An optioned out tacoma is like 40+ and way less capable in go fast applications. YMMV and all, but if you don't want to really modify the truck any further it is a great starting point.

Nice write-up. Thanks for the thorough responses.

Any idea of overall height on a '16 Tacoma? Ballpark?
    No worries. So we are 7" above the shark fin if you have a third gen. 1" of clearance room above the fin, then our assembly is 6" thick. According to a google search, a stock taco is ~71", so that would put us at 6'6" overall height with stock tires/suspension.

Thanks again. Gonna have to go measure the low point in the parking garage. I think it's 7'2", so I should be fine. I went ahead and reserved. You guys make it too easy being fully refundable. Plenty of time to figure out how to pay for it, and how to break it to the wife, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Thanks again. Gonna have to go measure the low point in the parking garage. I think it's 7'2", so I should be fine. I went ahead and reserved. You guys make it too easy being fully refundable. Plenty of time to figure out how to pay for it, and how to break it to the wife, though.
    Sweet, #19!

7'2" should be no problem. And yeah, we don't use the deposits in any way for development funding, thats all taken care of. We are literally just using the deposits to gauge interest and find out how much material we need to start ordering. Turns out the response has been really good so far

I'll drop you an email in the next day or so here to touch base, thanks for the support!

Also, to all the first gen tundra guys. I have been getting a lot of emails on those, if you are reading this and are seriously interested please let me know. I just need you to fill out the form on our FAQ page (very bottom) and it'll go into my spreadsheet of requests. We aren't too far off from offering it as an option.

How much weight can it support when popped up?

We travel with two 17' FG sea kayaks + 2 SUP's and my old GMC Safari is on it's last legs, looking at trucks and vans right now. Hard to get the boats on top of a Sprinter etc.

Assuming that the load is well distributed (on cross bars or a rack we are designing, 500# when being used as a roofrack, and 75-100 pounds on the rack if being opened for camping.

You could probably pop it with the SUPs, but the kayaks would likely be a no go. The other problem with the 17' kayaks, is that our design isnt great for long items like that, since its popping at an angle it would likely hit the cab of anything with a longer roof than a regular cab mini truck.

The best option in this case would be to pull the kayaks when popping up the camper.

Might be able to design something that would mount the kayaks to the lower extrusion, and be able to tilt off to the side of the vehicle when not in movement so you could still pop the tent, but that would take some doing. Have actually had a few folks that would really be interested in a design like that.

Go Fast Campers, new mag product

You could probably pop it with the SUPs, but the kayaks would likely be a no go. The other problem with the 17' kayaks, is that our design isnt great for long items like that, since its popping at an angle it would likely hit the cab of anything with a longer roof than a regular cab mini
    Yeah, I was looking at it wondering if the rack towers were high enough you could create a favorable angle for clearing the roof with them still up there.

The other point would be could the struts handle going up and down while weighted
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 11-06-2017 at 06:29 AM.

This is rad. It's a concept that I am surprised we've not seen before. There are a few different takes on this style of pop up in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at it wondering if the rack towers were high enough you could create a favorable angle for clearing the roof with them still up there.

The other point would be could the struts handle going up and down while weighted
    They are happy in that 75-100 pound load range. We have provisions to adjust the strut geometry to help it lift a heavier load without changing to a heavier duty strut. Its not just the strut that is affected by the weight, it is also our strut over-rides that keep the roof up in case the struts fail.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    This is rad. It's a concept that I am surprised we've not seen before. There are a few different takes on this style of pop up in Europe.
    Thanks man, there really isn't too much out there. I learned a lot from starting AeroContinental, and learned that simpler rigs appeal to just about everyone. People that have Earthroamers are just as likely to be interested as those who are scraping pennies to save up for a 5k setup. It just works, and you don't have to worry about it.

Welded up a couple of Tacoma long bed lower frames yesterday. Unlike the square tube on the early test mule, these are 1.5" round mitered DOM tubing and made to the final design specs. We'll be skinning these in bead-rolled .090" aluminum this coming week.

Looks like we will have options for fixed and operable aluminum sides made of .080-.090 5052 Aluminum. Operable is where the two side panels are hinged to lift off the structure and create a cabana style space in the topper, or to access things from the side. We will also still be making fabric sides for select vehicles where we see a demand. Those end up being quite a bit lighter, and are really nice for desert travel.

Rear panel will be a glass hatch like a modern leer or ARE, and the front "bulkhead" panel will have an optional view window (likely non operable) to be able to see whats going on in the bed from the cab.

It's going to be a pretty burly structure...

Thought this was neat.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2167796...n=facebookpost

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thought this was neat.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2167796...n=facebookpost

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, thats my friend Brian's truck. Cool rig, and the GooseGear interior stuff is really high quality.

Yeah, thats my friend Brian's truck. Cool rig, and the GooseGear interior stuff is really high quality.
    TEAM PROJECT.....