Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    They seem really nice!

I’ve seen some pretty funny and awkward RTT set-ups where parking was very limited and there was nothing close to flat ground around. The same problem exists whenever sleeping in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    THIS!

Convenience is the key, sleeping in a tent on the ground is fine, but rolling up to the TH in the dark, unloading your shit, finding a site, setting the damn thing up, tearing it down, sleeping on the cold ground.... if I had the money I'd take the GFC.
    This for sure. I've slept on the ground for years. It works great a lot of the time, but can suck when it's cold and windy out. We often can't have campfires in socal. So what do you do from sunset at 5-6pm til bedtime? Being able to hang out inside with head room is a game changer for coldish weather camping.

And then there's the easy quick setup aspect. Many RTTs take as long or longer to set up and put away than my tent, and a lot longer than my bivy which I often use. Even when that takes just a couple mins I'll often just sleep in the driver seat when I arrive late, especially if I need to be up early. The tent camper setup is super quick. Undo 2 latches and give it a push. Lay out bag and pillow, which stay right below. Putting it away takes about a minute. And super comfy to sleep in.

I didn't go with GFC but rather a competitor based on lead time. Have almost 2 wks in it already and loving it. I never would have bought a regular RTT but this thing is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    We often can't have campfires in socal. So what do you do from sunset at 5-6pm til bedtime?
    Outland propane fire pit and a 5 gallon propane tank is a game-changer.

Been said a few times now, but the draw for me for these kinds of things, rtt's included, is the easy pull off into a turnout well after midnight on some random fsr road, find 2 rocks to level the vehicle, and take all of one minute in the dark to set up your "tent". It's faster to take down in the am too.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Been said a few times now, but the draw for me for these kinds of things, rtt's included, is the easy pull off into a turnout well after midnight on some random fsr road, find 2 rocks to level the vehicle, and take all of one minute in the dark to set up your "tent". It's faster to take down in the am too.
    Yea that, a built in dead flat insulated sleeping surface for the cold and an elevated tent platform for additional air movement in the heat. Not to mention not fearing getting run over in the middle of the night if your sleeping in a parking lot.

Also the camper allowing you all the benefits of a truck cab and then some plus camper... The truck cab I just priced is $3k.

If you enter it from the inside, don’t you sort of need some empty space in the truck bed to stand/climb up? If it’s fully loaded with gear, doesn’t that mean you still end up having to move stuff around to get in/out?

I've got one on order, probably about 6 months out. My plan will be a drawer system. This has worked great in my current land cruiser setup to keep the majority of our camping gear inside of. Even with the drawers I should still have plenty of standing room height.

I'm coming from an existing RTT setup. Just recently I had a friend ask me if they are worth it. It's hard to say for someone else but for me and my wife, there's no way in hell we'd go back to a ground tent. That said, we camp 50+ nights a year, often a good bit more than that.

Thanks for linking that video. These are sweet Single! Solid construction is so key.

My only request would be a dog/airflow window/door on the side panels. Not sure if that would affect the structure in a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I've got one on order, probably about 6 months out. My plan will be a drawer system. This has worked great in my current land cruiser setup to keep the majority of our camping gear inside of. Even with the drawers I should still have plenty of standing room height.

I'm coming from an existing RTT setup. Just recently I had a friend ask me if they are worth it. It's hard to say for someone else but for me and my wife, there's no way in hell we'd go back to a ground tent. That said, we camp 50+ nights a year, often a good bit more than that.
    Funny, I was considering their RTT for my land cruiser. But seeing that it's not a solution for the family, I probably won't do it.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Funny, I was considering their RTT for my land cruiser. But seeing that it's not a solution for the family, I probably won't do it.
    a growing "family" is the reason I'm going from the cruiser + RTT to a full size truck + GFC. 2 people and 3 dogs, camping gear and gear for whatever activities we are doing got to be too much for the cruiser. I also had a trip to northern ID last spring where it rained (or snowed) on me every day for a week straight. The GFC will solve 2 problems, more room and an area to hang out in and cook in when the weather is shitty. 90% of the time this is a non issue and I go camping to be outside but sometimes it's nice to have a little shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    a growing "family" is the reason I'm going from the cruiser + RTT to a full size truck + GFC. 2 people and 3 dogs, camping gear and gear for whatever activities we are doing got to be too much for the cruiser. I also had a trip to northern ID last spring where it rained (or snowed) on me every day for a week straight. The GFC will solve 2 problems, more room and an area to hang out in and cook in when the weather is shitty. 90% of the time this is a non issue and I go camping to be outside but sometimes it's nice to have a little shelter.
    Just wait until you're 2 adults, TWO KIDS, and three dogs, buddy. Fuckin' circus.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Just wait until you're 2 adults, TWO KIDS, and three dogs, buddy. Fuckin' circus.
    So the gfc will provide ample room for dogs and gear while the humans sleep on the ground.

Time to break down and look at a travel trailer. The feelings of inadequacy will quickly fade when you realize on the Thursday before a trip that almost everything is already packed or on your first rainy camping weekend. The people that ridicule you either don’t have kids or never go camping because it’s too big a pain.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Time to break down and look at a travel trailer. The feelings of inadequacy will quickly fade when you realize on the Thursday before a trip that almost everything is already packed or on your first rainy camping weekend. The people that ridicule you either don’t have kids or never go camping because it’s too big a pain.
    We already have one. Hence why as much as I'd like to have a RTT for quick solo trips, hunting, etc. I just can't justify it. And yes, we went through the "we don't need a trailer" thing and then were shamed via several monsoons and junk shows. I'm sure we'll get back to tents and what not but having a trailer with a 1 year old makes shit much more doable on short notice.

This one million percent!! I have zero regrets for owning a travel trailer.
    I can set up my base camp and return to a soft bed, cooking inside, and being able to take a shower and poop indoors gets to be a luxury I wont do without going forward. Plus I can double tow my drift boat and or raft and still have a vehicle to use it without having to break down camp

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

We already have one. Hence why as much as I'd like to have a RTT for quick solo trips, hunting, etc. I just can't justify it. And yes, we went through the "we don't need a trailer" thing and then were shamed via several monsoons and junk shows. I'm sure we'll get back to tents and what not but having a trailer with a 1 year old makes shit much more doable on short notice.
    Haha, nice! Doable is the key word. Tents still come out for backpacking trips, which are really fun when they're big enough to hike on their own, but still small enough to think it's fun. My daughter was mostly game because she got to poop in a hole.

Haha, nice! Doable is the key word. Tents still come out for backpacking trips, which are really fun when they're big enough to hike on their own, but still small enough to think it's fun. My daughter was mostly game because she got to poop in a hole.
    Our daughters should hangout. My oldest is 5 and still routinely "pops a squat" in our yard to pee. I was concerned but then I realized I pee in our yard more than my bathroom, so I get it.

Go Fast Campers, new mag product

On the subject of a brown water holding tank, I still remember the event when my dad bought a kiddy pool tub thing, emptied the brown water tank into the tub, and bucketed loads to flush down the toilet in our house. I was like 6 or 7 years old. The RV was parked on our poster card suburban street. He had to make some sort of critical repairs related to winter time ski hill use. I’m sure there were some complaints filed to the HOA.

If you’re up for telling it, I think most would appreciate your story of an RTT, a trailer, and no rear trailer jacks. I still chuckle when I think of the tale.

a little bit of shaking involved? i think i recall this being told here before...

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    a little bit of shaking involved? i think i recall this being told here before...
    Memory like a steel trap. I've heard it in person, couldn't remember if it hit the wire here. Still worth a re-tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Memory like a steel trap. I've heard it in person, couldn't remember if it hit the wire here. Still worth a re-tell.
    It has, and agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    If you enter it from the inside, don’t you sort of need some empty space in the truck bed to stand/climb up? If it’s fully loaded with gear, doesn’t that mean you still end up having to move stuff around to get in/out?
    You can access the tent from the opening in the back, or the sides on the newer design. That's how I usually get in/out in the middle of the night because pulling the tailgate up from the inside is kind of a pain when half asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    This one million percent!! I have zero regrets for owning a travel trailer.
    I can set up my base camp and return to a soft bed, cooking inside, and being able to take a shower and poop indoors gets to be a luxury I wont do without going forward. Plus I can double tow my drift boat and or raft and still have a vehicle to use it without having to break down camp

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What is a double tow? Boat trailer connected to hitch on back of trailer? I've never seen such an innovation. Pics please.

Yep. Just be DAMN sure you don't need to back up.