Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I accept there must be something to it, and because I’m a dipshit and I don’t know anyone who has one I can inspect and try, I’m curious what I’m missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Jesus, dude, don't be so obtuse. You put the tent on the roof to protect yourself from the lions.
    And tigers, and bears, oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dirtbags sleep in the truck and put the stuff on top...but hey, if it costs more money to sleep on top it must be better.

When I see those sleep on top solutions, my first thought is that I’d kill myself in the middle of the night getting up to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I accept there must be something to it, and because I’m a dipshit and I don’t know anyone who has one I can inspect and try, I’m curious what I’m missing.
    Talk to an owner at a trailhead if you’re curious. I don’t own a GFC but when he started this thread I saw the advantages....

Let’s say you’re a skier for example . Many times you’ll find yourself rolling in at 10 pm at the trailhead (or overnight friendly resort) that features some plowed pavement and a 5 ft snowpack. Tent on pavement is fine, if there’s room; tent on snow (for me) usually involved ground cloth, double mattresses...meanwhile a GFC type of rig takes seconds to set up.

Let’s say you camp in areas that get snow and/or rain. A GFC is a hardtop. The tent sides are so vertical that wetting out or snow loading ain’t an issue.

Let’s say you have a S.O. sleeping with you in your typical truck/topper rig with a bed platform. There was a nightly ritual of schlepping shit (large cooler etc) to front of truck or under truck. Not the end of the world, I did this for 15+ yrs but in retrospect I wish I’d had a crew cab with rear seat removed to avoid this routine, or better yet a GFC type of solution.

Let’s say you drive on 4WD roads. That means you buy a decent $2000 topper with full framed lower that can prevent or at least delay cracks from years of off Hiway abuse. The GFCs I’ve looked at are burly construction...looks to be a topper built for 4WD uses. So, worth the extra couple of grand vs a decent topper? Apparently the market says Yes.

As for this broverland trend of shiny rigs with never-used Hi Lift jacks, jacking up the price of GFCs etc...that’s a separate topic. I’m stoked anyway that a fellow maggot started what appears to be a successful company.

Yeah I could see the advantage for a parking lot scenario. I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me. Durr

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Talk to an owner at a trailhead if you’re curious.
    I’ve never once seen one of these irl. I suspect the overall combo of very cold season then very wet season then thick mosquito and black fly season may render that setup more problematic where I live. I don’t know.

Go Fast Campers, new mag product

GFC toppers are awesome, turns your truck into a Westy esque rig that you can stand up in. I’m currently a van user but can see the merit in these for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    T
    Let’s say you drive on 4WD roads. That means you buy a decent $2000 topper with full framed lower that can prevent or at least delay cracks from years of off Hiway abuse.
    I highly doubt you can get a nice topper with awning windows on both sides for $2000 right now.

I would be all over one of these if I didn't have two kids.

I don’t know if I need one, but that video makes a pretty compelling case.

This thread is full of stupid. Mag creates a wildly successful product that delivers to a niche market and haters have to shit on it.

Same people are still asking why they'd want a microwave when they have a propane oven. Why use rockered skis when your Gotamas get down the hill? You sound like my dad and he's old as fuck. I don't own a GFC, likely never will, but I know success when I see it.

Regardless, pretty sure Single doesn't give a shit because he created something special. Why not celebrate the dude?

My buddy got one for his Tundra late summer. He and his wife are loving it. Built a slick gear storage system in the bed, and the whole thing seems like a great setup. The GFC itself is very well built and easy to operate. I'm impressed

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    You sound like my dad and he's old as fuck.
    My dad is almost 70 and owns a GFC. He got one of the first units they made. He's camping in it in Death Valley right now. Loves it.

This thread is full of stupid. Mag creates a wildly successful product that delivers to a niche market and haters have to shit on it.

Same people are still asking why they'd want a microwave when they have a propane oven. Why use rockered skis when your Gotamas get down the hill? You sound like my dad and he's old as fuck. I don't own a GFC, likely never will, but I know success when I see it.

Regardless, pretty sure Single doesn't give a shit because he created something special. Why not celebrate the dude?
    I was sort of surprised when I started seeing these all over the place. Definitely a popular product.

I think I've said it before but I really kick myself for not getting in at the beginning. Likely wont be able to afford one otherwise. I'm not a fan of rooftop tents but love the camper setup and props to single for creating such a huge demand for his product. I used to love seeing his creations around Bozeman before he released the GFC. You see them everywhere around MT. Guess I'll keep sleeping under my regular topper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah, what the Rev said. These things are sweet, I’d have one if I could bring myself to wait over a year for one.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I think I've said it before but I really kick myself for not getting in at the beginning. Likely wont be able to afford one otherwise. I'm not a fan of rooftop tents but love the camper setup and props to single for creating such a huge demand for his product. I used to love seeing his creations around Bozeman before he released the GFC. You see them everywhere around MT. Guess I'll keep sleeping under my regular topper.

Same here.

Yeah initially the sightings were rare but I’ve seen em all over ID, OR, NV, UT...

Also cool to have read Simple’s description of the custom parts they had to figure out, like the hinge assembly, and then see em in real life & think Yup those are burly AF.

I am willing to give some a pass, as it seems like they didn't even read the thread title, never mind the beginning of the thread.
    I can't think that many mags would want to shit on one of our own's success story.
    I love what he did, especially seeing all the cool engineering and CAD jiggering that went into the initial details in the beginning.
    It really spoke to me as a shade tree truck restoration amateur. I only wish I had half the skill of Single.

Edit- looks like Frorider beat me to it. The engineering and outside the box freeform is what I like most about this success story. It is what truly makes it his own product and not just a knockoff or improvement on others. That is really special, no matter what the product. He's like an entrepreneur and shit.

As the one that bumped the thread, here is my take:

Wife and I used to camp, she didn't mind sleeping on the ground when younger. Now her requirements will be an indoor shitter and hard-sides (bear phobia). Have you priced trailers or RVs lately? I'm seeing teardrops for 20k and even used trailers are 20k for something decent. The reality is that she would see it as a novelty and ultimately not camp as much as I'd like. Chock that up to 30yrs of marriage and experience.

So, I was looking at a topper for the truck. $2500 for a basic version, something to hid the bike and maybe create a sleeping platform for just myself. Then, I think for another 6k I can be into a GFC and have some real comfort for myself. As said above, the reality is that she won't be joining me. I could have this always ready and slip away for a quick overnighter in the woods, solo. Get to some remote spots that won't work by pulling a trailer. Plus, I'd bet that I could sell this in 5yrs for cost, or close to it.

I'm pretty bummed I didn't hop on the list. I had my finger on the button when it was released but knew I was switching trucks in the near future. Even chatted with Single about adapting to the new truck and couldn't so I waited. Then the lead time was too far out and I bought a normal topper for my new pickup. Still think it's a great concept. Had I got one, I could have sold my van.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I could have this always ready
    THIS!

Convenience is the key, sleeping in a tent on the ground is fine, but rolling up to the TH in the dark, unloading your shit, finding a site, setting the damn thing up, tearing it down, sleeping on the cold ground.... if I had the money I'd take the GFC.

I’m going to have my eyes peeled, I hope to see one of these in person.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I think I've said it before but I really kick myself for not getting in at the beginning. Likely wont be able to afford one otherwise.
    I wouldn't have one if it hadn't been for the pre-order. The free delivery/install (by single) made a good deal even better. The crazy thing is, I could still sell it for what I paid. I wouldn't mind having the new tent material and an AL frame, but I don't plan on getting rid of this thing anytime soon and I can't afford it anyway.

A quick camping option that lets me keep a truck bed with a topper and doesn't get in the way is key. I haven't done as many planned trips as I thought I would, but impromptu camping has more than made up for that. Family obligations mean I'm often mountain biking at dawn, so I either get up at the ass crack, or I leave after dinner the night before, park at the TH, pop it up and conk out. I can be on the bike just as early, but better rested and stoked that I did some camping. Last minute trips are easy cause I can just toss stuff in the bed and not worry about having to have organized bins and shit that I have to move around and take out. I'm camping a lot more now than I was before I had it. If I get a bug, I can do a quick overnighter with no prep, no setup, no teardown or post camp tent shenanigans, just need a bag and a pillow (that I keep in the truck).

It is tight up top. Young bros or a young couple are probably fine with it, but I find it pretty cramped with two adults. It's definitely a solo or dad and kids rig for me. My wife and I sleep in separate beds, though, so maybe I'm not the best judge of sleeping space.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ha! Me, the wife and 2 dogs(husky and golden) sleep in the back of her 4th gen 4runner. It was be like a mansion!