Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Partway through the panel design, got the shapes lasered and edges broken last week. This panel will get bead rolled to stiffen it up and more holes made for the dzus fasteners. And we started working on the hinge to make these sides operable, its been a big request so we are pushing the production forward a bit. It’s a real challenge to make the hinges work with our seal and tube placement and still clearing the camper bits, but it's looking like we’ve got it figured out with a pretty trick 8-bar linkage hinge...

Probably going with .080 5052. Should be plenty stout once beadrolled to maintain the seal, and is nice because its so formable. It's also got a really good corrosion resistance and with .080 skin will hold up well to branches and impacts.

Mocked up...

From the interior. Looking like a race car.

Sorry if I missed it...
    Are you coating the inside of the alu panels with something to deaden the vibrations or to prevent sweating?

The panel to tube interface is a gasket seal, so it should do a good job towards deadening vibration. The panels will also be powdercoated after forming which will help reduce thermal conductivity. We are also doing some testing on insulative anti-condensation coatings this winter to see how they perform. If it does well it will be included as an option.

^^^ Hard not to like that!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

^ Thanks dude!

New years campsite...

Sides up shot! That’s really nice and open, much more than a windoor. New wheels and tires look good!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    ^ Thanks dude!

New years campsite...

That rig would have been so nice to have 25 years ago when we always went to MX to surf.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The campers look awesome. Perfect for surf camps.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sides up shot! That’s really nice and open, much more than a windoor. New wheels and tires look good!
    Thanks man! Running method beadlocks now with some yokohama geolandar MT. Seems to be working well so far. A little bigger tire would look really nice, but tough to fit on the taco. Plus that requires regear etc.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    That rig would have been so nice to have 25 years ago when we always went to MX to surf.
    Trying to make the simplest setup possible thats still comfortable. After building all the aero stuff, realizing this with a weekly hotel/airbnb/friends couch might be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    The campers look awesome. Perfect for surf camps.
    Thanks man!

Some more Baja Photos... Did a photoshoot yesterday down there and should have the pictures back soon.

I'm balls deep in van land, but if I was a pickup guy this would be really high on my list. Love seeing quality metal work.

Seems perfect for desert rats, or anybody who doesn't doesn't need a winter rig. The price point is super solid too, and makes it a compelling option over the standard truck cap, which is gonna cost $2K+ anyways once you start adding pop out windows etc.

Single, I know you are into Baja land, but if this thing were made to be able to pop up for a snowmobile (or dirt bike), eliminating the cross bar at the rear, you would increase your market exponentially.

The design with the pop outs looks sick.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I'm balls deep in van land, but if I was a pickup guy this would be really high on my list. Love seeing quality metal work.

Seems perfect for desert rats, or anybody who doesn't doesn't need a winter rig. The price point is super solid too, and makes it a compelling option over the standard truck cap, which is gonna cost $2K+ anyways once you start adding pop out windows etc.
    Thanks man! Appreciate it.

We are coming out with a winter weight tent shell and insulated liner for the lower late summer/early fall for winter 18/19.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Single, I know you are into Baja land, but if this thing were made to be able to pop up for a snowmobile (or dirt bike), eliminating the cross bar at the rear, you would increase your market exponentially.

The design with the pop outs looks sick.
    Hahaha, I just want to go to the desert. Ever since I stopped skiing I seem to have a lot more time to work, and a lot more desire to go to warm weather.

The cross bar is functional in this application, so it would probably need a total redesign. Been thinking about that though. If you had a slide out bed that could carry 500# where you could load and strap down your gear that might be the best option. Then just make the topper tall enough to receive the strapped moto/snowmobile etc.

I don't sled so I will probably just run a hitch receiver for the dirtbike.

Not telling you what to do by any means, but I've talked with a bunch of snowmobiling friends about this exact kind of thing where they didn't have to take off their topper for the winter to facilitate a sled. Just an idea. I think the current design is pretty awesome.

Hot damn!! I first followed this build on TacomaWorld and ordered one just a couple of weeks ago, now I find out there's mags behind it - sick! I'm Order #34, probably a bit down the line... can't wait to pick mine up up in your neck of the woods. It'll be going on my 2016 GMC Canyon. Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Hot damn!! I first followed this build on TacomaWorld and ordered one just a couple of weeks ago, now I find out there's mags behind it - sick! I'm Order #34, probably a bit down the line... can't wait to pick mine up up in your neck of the woods. It'll be going on my 2016 GMC Canyon. Stoked!
    Oh heck yeah dude! Sweet!

Got some photos back from Baja, truck is still down there but the photog came back before...

For anybody interested, the TW thread has more pics and discussion:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-thing.516490/
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This is the front page article on Expedition Portal. Looks great!

Single, been seeing the Tacoma and your buddies dodge camper a bunch lately. Gotta say the topper is super clean looking. Been ogling from my jobsite next to treeline. Best of luck with the new venture.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Single, been seeing the Tacoma and your buddies dodge camper a bunch lately. Gotta say the topper is super clean looking. Been ogling from my jobsite next to treeline. Best of luck with the new venture.
    Thats probably me! My partner at aero has the ford. Say hey sometime, I pretty much live at treeline.

New walkaround video...

Awesome product.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Very cool. I missed the thread until now, glad it got bumped.

Any plans to add new Tundras? Might be in the market in a couple of years for one of these for my 2016 Tundra Crew Cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Any plans to add new Tundras? Might be in the market in a couple of years for one of these for my 2016 Tundra Crew Cab.
    From their site:
    **If you have a 2009- Present F-150 or 2007-Present Tundra, we are going to support those vehicles with our XL system, which has a larger sleeping area than our current offering, and will be released soon. For inquiries on those vehicles, please email graeme@gfcengineering.com.**