Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Go Fast Campers

Hey all,

Figured this is something you guys might be interested in, and I would love feeback on the system and our site...

Some of you guys know I build these big expedition rigs for round the world travel...

And they are super cool, but also a huge investment in both a lifestyle and financial sense. A lot of people have been asking me what they should buy with less than a 10k budget, and there weren't that many options. You could buy a heavily used four wheel camper, an old alaskan, or a chinese rooftop tent on a topper. So we had the idea for a solid quiver killer that would give most of the functionality of a four wheel camper (for what a lot of people use them for) with a lot better quality for less money.

The idea is that it would be daily driver-able, really comfortable and great for spartan expedition travel or weekend trips. We also wanted to make something that is built extremely well, ultralight and incredibly durable/serviceable.

On top of that it needs to increase the functionality of trucks for daily use so you aren't always taking it on and off the truck. So we came up with Go Fast Campers, and bear with us as we are still finishing up the site...

www.gofastcampers.com

instagram: @GFC_USA

We have been testing the prototype the last few months, and are moving into production units. Here is a shot of the rough proof of concept we have been testing in the desert and all over montana...

The idea is that we can make an ultra-lightweight topper with essentially a westfalia style top. The floor is totally removable and configurable, there is a really good gif on the homepage of our site that explains it better than I can with words.

The entire unit is made in Bozeman Montana, the lower will end up being a welded chromoly space frame (like a roll cage) with options of aluminum sheet skin or a fabric covering not unlike the soft topper. Here is a rendering of the final production model, with the back and side walls off to show how it's made.

And on the truck...

The entire system only weighs 200 pounds as an assembly, doubles as a topper with a gear/lumber/steel rack and is burly enough to be jumped. If you need to take it off the truck, its as easy as removing a topper. When folded down, the camper portion is only 6" thick, and we are making mounting accessories to be able to use cross bars, mount solar panels, rotopax, hi lift jacks, etc.

The roof is a lightweight honeycomb UV resistant composite panel, and the framework is our own aluminum extrusion with integrated mounting system. We also machine all of our parts in house, and make really trick hinges and mounting brackets...

Our pricepoint for the system is $5000. That includes the topper, camper top, mattress and mounting hardware. The initial trucks we are going to support are:

• 1980-Current Toyota Tacoma/pickup
    • 2015-Current Colorado/Canyon
    • 2009-2018 F-150, 5.5 and 6' Beds only.

We will also be coming out with an XL version for fullsize rigs (wider/longer sleeping area, and accommodates up to an 8' bed) which will be a little more expensive. We will be developing that summer 2018.

We are going to be shipping in may, and are taking 10% deposits to hold places in line. The deposits are fully refundable too, we are using it to gauge real interest, not to fund our production.

I will update this thread with our progress as we bring this thing to production. I will also update the unimog thread, but we have been slammed the past few weeks getting this thing ready for the big debut so the unimog was backburnered for a moment...

BTW, all the good photos in this post are by my buddy Drew Martin.
    Last edited by single; 01-08-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Great concept, dood. You'll sell a few of these!

I'll wait with bated breath for the full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Great concept, dood. You'll sell a few of these!

I'll wait with bated breath for the full size.
    Thanks S! You might have to be a beta tester...

We are developing that winter weight fabric option too, and have some carbon fiber battens coming soon that will help with any wind flapping.

So will the final product close in the truck bed like a topper and then have the pop up tent above it or will the bed remain open?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    So will the final product close in the truck bed like a topper and then have the pop up tent above it or will the bed remain open?
    It will be fully enclosed. The aluminum panel option will have an operable rear hatch like a normal topper, and the fabric sided option will have a zipper opening rear cover. We will also sell it as a standalone powder-coated tube frame for a bit less if you don't want it covered.

clarified original post too.

That's great, good luck! Let us know if you make one for flat load bars on SUV's

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    It will be fully enclosed. The aluminum panel option will have an operable rear hatch like a normal topper, and the fabric sided option will have a zipper opening rear cover. We will also sell it as a standalone powder-coated tube frame for a bit less if you don't want it covered.

clarified original post too.
    The website should make this more clear.

That’s a good price point. When I was looking for a bare bones truck camper years ago that’s exactly what I was looking to spend.

This would be killer for Southern Utah trips. It'd be hard to pass on a Tundra version.

Really cool idea. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    That's great, good luck! Let us know if you make one for flat load bars on SUV's
    Thanks man! We are coming out with a standalone tent version with a fixed floor once we start shipping the truck version. Should be around the 3k mark, and will have also double as a rack system.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The website should make this more clear.
    You're totally right, there isn't a back shown anywhere. Appreciate the feedback, I will work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    That’s a good price point. When I was looking for a bare bones truck camper years ago that’s exactly what I was looking to spend.
    Thanks man, if we went any cheaper we would start to compromise quality. I was hoping this would be a pretty approachable price.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    This would be killer for Southern Utah trips. It'd be hard to pass on a Tundra version.
    It kicked ass on our last trip to death valley, a canvas wrapped version with roll-able sides is gonna be primo for desert travel.

Quote Originally Posted by lightranger
    Really cool idea. Good luck.
    thanks man!

Go Fast Campers, new mag product

Wow super cool product. I know a bunch of guys with half tons who would probably love one of these.

Does it require a ladder for entry, or do you crawl in from the bed? Is the enclosure lockable from the inside? Any idea if you’ll also be getting into the RTT game or would this be overkill for the roof of a suv?

Looks awesome Single!

I've been using a RTT on my F150 this season and was considering an upgrade to something like this. Simple, sturdy, but roomier than the RTT I have now.

What size is the platform bed for the F150 model with 6.6ft bed? That's my wife's one complaint is that it's too narrow for the two of us. I like to kick in my sleep

looks very cool!

good luck with the roll out!

looks awesome, subscribing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Damn I hope this makes it to the early 2000-06 tundra 6'3" beds, but understand that market is small and dwindling better to make for a current tundra which I hate.

Great idea and these will sell...keep up the killer work.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Wow super cool product. I know a bunch of guys with half tons who would probably love one of these.

Does it require a ladder for entry, or do you crawl in from the bed? Is the enclosure lockable from the inside? Any idea if you’ll also be getting into the RTT game or would this be overkill for the roof of a suv?
    For this one, you don't need a ladder to get in since you come in through the bed and you can close everything up from inside. And yeah, we are totally going to release this as a RTT. It'll work great for an SUV, doubles as a rack system too. We should be able to lead the market in pricing for quality (non china manuf) RTT's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Looks awesome Single!

I've been using a RTT on my F150 this season and was considering an upgrade to something like this. Simple, sturdy, but roomier than the RTT I have now.

What size is the platform bed for the F150 model with 6.6ft bed? That's my wife's one complaint is that it's too narrow for the two of us. I like to kick in my sleep
    Thanks man!

The interior width is just under a full size mattress, and sleeps tall folks really easily.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    looks very cool!

good luck with the roll out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    looks awesome, subscribing.
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Damn I hope this makes it to the early 2000-06 tundra 6'3" beds, but understand that market is small and dwindling better to make for a current tundra which I hate.

Great idea and these will sell...keep up the killer work.
    TGR Forums mobile app
    We can custom make the lower frame pretty easily, its just the paneling/fabric thats tricky for low volume. If you are seriously interested, PM me and we might be able to make something work.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    For this one, you don't need a ladder to get in since you come in through the bed and you can close everything up from inside. And yeah, we are totally going to release this as a RTT. It'll work great for an SUV, doubles as a rack system too. We should be able to lead the market in pricing for quality (non china manuf) RTT's as well.

Thanks man!

The interior width is just under a full size mattress, and sleeps tall folks really easily.

Thanks guys!

We can custom make the lower frame pretty easily, its just the paneling/fabric thats tricky for low volume. If you are seriously interested, PM me and we might be able to make something work.
    I am and will pm. Thanks. Even if you were in a 3k range some of those stupid rooftop tents cost near that much for way shittier build. This is full on win.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Wow, some really cool things coming down the line. Too bad I'm getting too old for such a concept, I am liking my creature comforts more and more.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Cool. Subscribed.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Wow, some really cool things coming down the line. Too bad I'm getting too old for such a concept, I am liking my creature comforts more and more.
    thanks hutash, think of it as an offroad bivy between airbnb's

How about a pop-top that can be installed on vans, a la Ursa Minor's Ecamper for the Honda Element? I'd love a pop-top on my Previa.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

That's pretty cool. What makes it worth 2+ times what a Roofnest costs? Not trying to be a dick but most people don't need something that will withstand 'desert racing'.

dope! i like that co's are tinkering around more with this stuff. would love to have one of your products someday

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    How about a pop-top that can be installed on vans, a la Ursa Minor's Ecamper for the Honda Element? I'd love a pop-top on my Previa.
    btw liked your interview (and pic!) in powder this month
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Roofnest https://roofnest.com/

Sorry, not really an Ecamper conversion but a nice hard shell pop up, roof top tent.