Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As an ageing out whitewater kayaker, I find this pretty cool.

Anyone have any experience with the Alpacka Forager or other tandem packrafts? My partner and I, both with some but not a lot of whitewater experience, are looking into getting boat(s) for Northern NM/Four Corners area trips. The hiking, self-shuttle and compact storage aspects of packrafting are appealing. I'm looking into the Forager because I think my partner would enjoy one boat more than two, at least until we get more comfortable reading rivers and have ambitions higher than class III or so.

On the other hand, there are pretty much no used Foragers for sale, and I'm a little concerned we will frequently be wishing for more agile boats. Can anyone speak to tandem packrafts' utility on backcountry trips (e.g. Dark Canyon) or low water (e.g. Rio Grande right now)? I already know they can handle big water, if we ever get good enough to paddle it.

Should we just get the cheapest canoe we can find and see what happens?
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I already know they can handle big water, if we ever get good enough to paddle it.
    just watched that video and damn those two got balls running some of that shit in a tandem.

I don't have any experience with tandems so unfortunately can't really speak to your questions too much; however it does definitely seem like a cool boat for spending more time together on the river with your partner. I agree with your comment about higher ambitions tho, personally I don't think I'd wanna run a tandem thru anything higher than a class III either. For bigger water I definitely like having more agility and the added control of thigh straps, which don't appear to come standard on the Forager.
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Can anyone speak to tandem packrafts' utility on backcountry trips (e.g. Dark Canyon) or low water (e.g. Rio Grande right now)? I already know they can handle big water, if we ever get good enough to paddle it.
    Dark Canyon specifically. i assume that you'll explore Dark Canyon on foot down to the 'rado then float the +/-13mi down to Hite takeout. the tandem will be at advantage for sure. the diurnal/upcanyon wind through cataract (around millers crag bend) can be brutal on lightweight (single)packrafters, it'll push smallish humans around like a portuguese man-o-war. second time doing this circuit, i had to lash the two lightweights behind me and we all paddled in sync. winds were unrelenting enough it took us two nights/days make the takeout.
    as with everything else, YMMY
    style matters...

Thanks to you both. I guess I'll do some more trip planning and try to nail down actual use cases before getting too deep in boat shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by skiSilent_skiDeep View Post
    Dark Canyon specifically. i assume that you'll explore Dark Canyon on foot down to the 'rado then float the +/-13mi down to Hite takeout.
    Well the alternative would be down Butler Wash, float Cataract, up Dark Canyon. Sounds awesome, but too hard for now.

Todd Alpaka is having a garage sale on October 14th if you're able to get up to Dolores.

I'd like to pick myself up a boat and wondered if anyone had any input on self-bailing vs. a spray deck. Looking to maximize versatility for PNW multiday trips, occasional whitewater days on III+ water and maybe a desert trip hike/bike/float trip every once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    I'd like to pick myself up a boat and wondered if anyone had any input on self-bailing vs. a spray deck. Looking to maximize versatility for PNW multiday trips, occasional whitewater days on III+ water and maybe a desert trip hike/bike/float trip every once in a blue moon.
    I have spray deck and really like it; however one of my buddies recently became a full convert to self-bailing.

Spray decks are awesome, but they're not 100% fool proof, if you do get water in the boat its annoying to pull over and dump. Myself and others have also experienced the spray skirt getting pulled off the cockpit rim in big water if you get a lot of water flowing over your boat or if you're really workin' it and paddling hard, which in turn floods the boat and makes it tougher to control and get out of rapids if you're in a long run, this is pretty rare tho overall.

Self-bailing you don't have to worry about flooding out the boat, however because you sit directly in the water a full dry suit is recommended on most trips to keep yourself warm; that might not be an issue in the desert during summer, but I imagine in the PNW you'd wanna maximize warmth given the water temps.

with a self bailing boat you also don't need to get out of the boat for bathroom breaks....

For multi-day trips, definitely get a model with a cargo fly/ti-zip, it's amazing how much capacity they have for gear. And for III+ rapids, look for a model that has thigh straps, the added control is very helpful in bigger/more technical water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Todd Alpaka is having a garage sale on October 14th if you're able to get up to Dolores.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the rundown! Went to that Alpacka sidewalk sale and ended up with a wolverine set up for self bailing and a spray skirt. Looks like folks have been taping over the self bailing holes when they want a full decked boat so I can (jankily) have the best of both worlds.

Also got an expedition with a whitewater deck so I can have a loaner to entice friends into trips.

The first trip will be a two day hike down Dark Canyon and two day float out the Colorado this week.

have a great trip.
    off your knees Louie

that looks sick, nice boofin' out there SB

Not me but yeah, sweet stylin in the packr

Was a take off from NRS email ad, i get 37 a day it seems.
    watch out for snakes

That is a cool boat. Inflatables have come a long way

Artcile

Good article!!!

articel

Good artikel!!!