Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Recommend Resort Daily Driver

I haven't heard enough opinions in 2017, so I'm soliciting some in the category of daily driver skis. What are people into these days? I'm tempted to try something narrower than the 108mm resort skis I currently own. Maybe 95-100mm? I don't ski many resort pow days anymore - too frenzied and stressful. My most fun non-pow days of the past 2 seasons were on 205cm straight skis doing my best Scot Schmidt impression. Beer was involved but I stand by that assessment regardless. Maybe I should wear denim and work for Pit Viper?

Currently own (will be in GS soon):
    -184 Line SFB (the blue/white ones with camber) - fun to carve, a bit squirrely in chop. I'm officially done pretending a "playful" ski will help me learn park tricks.
    -186 Cochise (OG version) - I've had fun days on these, but generally the lifeless feeling is uninspiring

Who has an opinion?

Where do you ski? Do you want something with full length sidecut, or some taper? Do you want to carve or starve? Do you want to charge or take it a bit easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Where do you ski? Do you want something with full length sidecut, or some taper? Do you want to carve or starve? Do you want to charge or take it a bit easier?
    Abasin locally, and Crested Butte, Aspen, Telluride, and Jackson most often when traveling. On the scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being charge-iest I prefer to be around 7-8. I typically carve groomers but am not anti-slarve. I do not want to starve. On the 108mm waist skis listed above I don't seek bumps. On 205cm straight skis I do seek bumps. If there's a ski out there that will help me ski more like Marcus Caston I'll buy 3 pair.

Big skis are easier for me to evaluate so I'll provide my likes/dislikes in that category for reference. I replaced 187 GPOs (too turny not floaty enough - never got along with them) with 186 Billy Goats last year. The BGs are the shit, and I've yet to have a bad day on them - they are damp but not dead feeling, and can hold up in big open spaces and maneuver in tight spaces too; totally dialed IMO. I like and still own the old 186 4FRNT Ren but not as a resort ski - they are a handful when things get chopped up. 186 EHP is my favorite soft snow ski of all time (BG may dethrone it as it is more versatile).
    Last edited by North; 10-27-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Maybe try the new dynastar legend x 96 or the 106. I've heard that they're good skis. Another one to try is the head monster 98.

Monsters are freaking amazing. A little one dimensional in their turn radius and style, but within that realm they can do everything.

They are 10 out of 10 charger, but surprisingly easy to ski for being so stiff and burly. Idk what it is, but they are just as forgiving as full rocker Katanas.. maybe even more so. Except for trees, use your bacons for trees.

If you know how to ski well, I cannot recommend anything better. They flat out rip.

I think HEAD is really stepping up. The new Kore series seems great as well. I haven’t skied them, but fiddling around with them in a local shop, I was very impressed. Light, stiff, thick-ass core, thicker than normal. They have more rocker than the Monsters, and no metal, so should be more forgiving. But I could tell they will still charge. Sam Lee skis them on the Freeride World Tour.

I dont have too much experience with skis under 100mm, I like em’ fat, but if you want something for less than deep powder, I recommend HEAD skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Recommend Resort Daily Driver

Or you could just stick with On3p and go wren 98. I havent skied them either, but have skied the lovely and similar Tychoon many days..

A little less “edgey” than HEAD, but damp nonetheless. They should be more forgiving, but still able to charge. I’m heavy and I could charge with Tychoons. Better in bumps and trees for sure. Worse on ice, but who cares about ice out west!

On3ps will definitely be more durable. Hands down. You get what you pay for with On3p.

Moment Deathwish. 112 under foot gives it float in powder / soft conditions, triple camber that allows it to rail on groomers. It skis great in tight trees and lastly jongs on the lift always ask why the tips are square

Wren 98s all the way and you can thank me later...

New 4frnt MSP looks interesting -
    Get on a pair and report back here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Maybe try the new dynastar legend x 96 or the 106. I've heard that they're good skis. Another one to try is the head monster 98.
    I think the 186 x96 would nicely compliment his BillyGoats.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Moment Deathwish. 112 under foot gives it float in powder / soft conditions, triple camber that allows it to rail on groomers. It skis great in tight trees and lastly jongs on the lift always ask why the tips are square
    Tend to think 112mm is too wide for most the places he skis. And while the Deathwishes are soft enough for bumps, their width makes them noticably slower than my 98mm waisted skis. Plus lots of overlap with the BGs.

But if you lean this direction North -- you're welcome to demo my 184 Deathwishes whenever you wish at A-Basin. Mounted on the line for 315 with STH, so +/- about 12.5mm.

My shortlist for when my current DDs die -- skiing similar places as you are:

- Praxis Piste Jib
    - On3p Wren 98
    - Legend x96. (Just saw them at Evo and the look dialed)
    - Moment Tahoe 96 (now with the Deathwish camber profile)
    Last edited by doebedoe; 10-24-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Blizzard Brahma or Bonafide. Both skis will rip anything one encounters at the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Blizzard Brahma or Bonafide. Both skis will rip anything one encounters at the hill.
    Roger that.

Rossignol experience 100 if you do mostly groomer carving- they ski like a big playful gs ski

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Roger that.
    Agreed, such good skis.

I picked up some Black Crows Camox for this role, don't know how they ski yet, but reviews are good and the shape looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Tend to think 112mm is too wide for most the places he skis.....plus lots of overlap with the BGs.
    Yep. BGs will be out anytime there's ~6" or more. The "daily driver" I'm asking about here is going to be narrower than the 108mm waisted skis I'm parting with. I'm going to err on the narrow side with these ones.

I've skied the 108 Wren and Kartel. Neither gave me the same "dialed" feeling dampness/livelyness combo that I get on the BGs, but conditions were pretty heinous so tough to make any real conclusions.

Current list thanks to this thread and others:
    Wren 98
    Bonafide
    Enforcer 100
    Legend 96

I've never skied a Moment; Tahoe looks interesting. Head Monster seems aptly named and too much for my style.
    Last edited by North; 10-24-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Brahma is an East Coast or Midwest daily driver not a daily driver for out west where the op says he skis. Too much gap between a BG and the Brahma. It is a good ski in a 3 ski quiver.

I have BG/Brahma...going to add a Wren 98 as finances allow.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Its been mentioned and I'll echo, the Piste Jib and Wren 98 is getting a lot of love in this slot (if you read around). Haven't been on Piste Jib but grabbed wren 98 for this year.

Gepmeow’s tychoons in gear swap

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Brahma is an East Coast or Midwest daily driver not a daily driver for out west where the op says he skis. Too much gap between a BG and the Brahma. It is a good ski in a 3 ski quiver.

Meh. Brahma is good in soft snow til boot deep. Deeper than that you can be happy on the billy goat. Only place where something like a 90mm brahma is lacking compared to a 100ish skis is in a bit of stability / forgiveness in deep cruddy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    New 4frnt MSP looks interesting -
    Get on a pair and report back here!
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Meh. Brahma is good in soft snow til boot deep. Deeper than that you can be happy on the billy goat. Only place where something like a 90mm brahma is lacking compared to a 100ish skis is in a bit of stability / forgiveness in deep cruddy snow.
    I dunno. I am 6 2 200lbs and I will take my old school 98 mm Sickbirds (mounted tele which I sucked at last year coming back from a blown acl) over my 88 Brahma on soft variable slushy or punchy snow every day of the week forever. Especially if it is fresh. Ymmv.

I love the Brahma for what it is though. I've had a Brahma/BG with Sickbird for tele quiver for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

He said he's going to be skiing a lot of groomers and not much pow. At least that's what I think I read. Oh ya and bumps too, so....

That said I've never had an issue with 88 underfoot in any conditions out west. And had a ton of fun. I mean think of what we skied on decades ago. No one wished for wider, we just skied.

He said he's going to be skiing a lot of groomers and not much pow. At least that's what I think I read. Oh ya and bumps too, so....
    Brahma's with 2 sheets of Titanal suck in bumps to me. The new carbon Brahma CA might be better though, I'll grant that, and I'd like to test drive a pair.

https://www.evo.com/skis/blizzard-brahma-ca