Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I've got a pretty solid list of options now, but I really think this is going to end with me mounting up the Explosivs I picked up this summer, buying an old MR2, driving it to the mountain in rear entry boots, and proclaiming loudly to everybody on the chairlift that ski innovation stopped in the mid-90s. If you see me feel free to say hey, but I probably won't be able to hear you unless I'm changing the tape in my walkman.
    Update: Step one of this inevitability is complete. Mounted up the Explosivs and blasted bumps and mini chutes at Steamboat on Saturday. Neon ain't dead.

After last year, I sold everything narrower than my 112 Deathwishes... ans then this year $hitalloverme...so I picked up some 192 armada TST’s... 103 underfoot...and THE perfect ski to rip groomers and manmade our West, while still being fun off piste...praying for more reasons to pull out the fatties!

Update: Step one of this inevitability is complete. Mounted up the Explosivs and blasted bumps and mini chutes at Steamboat on Saturday. Neon ain't dead.
    Update 2: Neon still works in Jackson. I was even feeling irrationally confident enough to take them down Corbet's, but it was closed. Anything beyond the goat path is beyond my pay grade, and it looked like a guaranteed beater for me in it's current condition, but I was willing to try for glory.

Of note, the Casper demo center has many of the skis mentioned in this thread available, but paradoxically only in non-Jackson sizes. WTF.

186 Supernatural 108's? I've got some NIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I bust out the neon with glee for flying sofa days all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I've got a pair of BC Atris 184 and love them for softer days. When you get some time on the Camox I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    I picked up some Black Crows Camox for this role, don't know how they ski yet, but reviews are good and the shape looks good.

Bump. Let's try this again. I'm planning to spend more time at the resort this season than I have during the past 4yrs combined. I already own some perfectly good options for a daily driver ski, but this is TGR so that's irrelevant.

I'm looking for a ski to take out in average conditions at places that have some steeps - A-basin, CB, and the like. That means firm (hopefully chalky), primarily off piste, likely in tight spaces with moguls. Groomer performance is not important, a nice bonus I guess - I can happily ski just about anything on groomers, and don't spend a lot of time on them anyway. Powder performance, is not important - I ski Billy Goats in anything 6"+.

What are people liking these days for off-piste low tide?

Mfree 108

Bump. Let's try this again. I'm planning to spend more time at the resort this season than I have during the past 4yrs combined. I already own some perfectly good options for a daily driver ski, but this is TGR so that's irrelevant.

I'm looking for a ski to take out in average conditions at places that have some steeps - A-basin, CB, and the like. That means firm (hopefully chalky), primarily off piste, likely in tight spaces with moguls. Groomer performance is not important, a nice bonus I guess - I can happily ski just about anything on groomers, and don't spend a lot of time on them anyway. Powder performance, is not important - I ski Billy Goats in anything 6"+.

IIRC your boot sole is close-ish to mine, you're welcome to take my Woodsman 108s for a spin.

If you're looking for a b ski to your Billygoat, mfree108 or maybe the newest iteration of the woodsman. But the mfree108 is hard to beat (in the 192.)

I like the Corvus. Stronger carver than most skis as loose as they are. They don't respond well to backseat skiing, but you get a lot of stability for the required input. PM me if you want to pick mine up and take them out for a day. I'm in Lafayette.

A lot of people love the Enforcer 104 frees. I found they wanted to go across the fall line a bit to readily for my tastes. But they are nice and damp yet very easy to skis. Worth checking out for sure.

-Off piste low tide- I think you want to be in a 98mm class ski with metal. I like the Bonafide.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Second the E104 recommendation. I loved them at A Basin last year on a little surprise refresh on top of garbage day. Nice and turny. Follow my daughter into the woods fun with easy to smear tail. Really a good ski for Pali and they roll down the groomers just fine. You aren't going to absolutely haul ass on them off piste...but then that is where your Billy Goat comes in. They also are a little heavy on the metal if you want to full on zipperline the cut bumps but if you are in there checking yourself down like a mere mortal they work great. I think they fill the space between my 88 Brahmas and BG perfectly

I think my new Deathwish 104s are going to play this role really nicely. Loose tail, but good grip on the groomed and chalk. Only 10 laps including some chalky bumps. Much more lively than my Corvus, but certainly a lower top end and less effective edge in similar length.

Should you ever ski Loveland you can take them for a spin in 184. Warden demos so any boot works.

Praxis Slugger - 102 mm
    Aggressive in my own mind

Haven’t gotten on them yet but I just snagged the Declivity 102ti’s this year for the exact same type of skiing you describe.

Recommend Resort Daily Driver

I have to add this, because, well I honestly don’t love how these threads always turn into the “this is what I ski thread” but…
    I bought a pair of heavy core MVP’s carbon/veneer to be my dick around, ski with the kids and friends and family, low tide, and old man park skiing (cause I still dig that kind of shit) a couple years ago, old version not new but still applies IMO. I very quickly found out that these sticks are shockingly good at what OP described. Seriously, in crusty or soft, breakable/ edgeable off piste these things fucking crush. Like way better at that kind of skiing than what I bought them for. I totally found myself breaking them out on solo charging days over some pretty big hitters that I thoroughly enjoy. It makes since, considering who built them and what for, but holy shit they really shine in the conditions you described. Also really dig the ON3P rec here, haven’t skied the Woodsman in particular, but jeeez do those cores smash, I would highly consider that as well in this spot if I was in the market. I’ve also found that after a lot break in and lots of detuning the MVP’s really do what I originally intended, I don’t have to bring them up to speed to enjoy them (I mean yeah a little, but less than other skis that charge this hard), can bend the tips and tails enough to enjoy the em in the park without folding em while charging and they ski switch as well as they do the other direction, and carve groomers just fine. They really are that ski that is just really, really good at just about everything but probably not the “best” at anything particular. I feel really confident recommending them to any skiers capable of getting out of em what they put into em. I also understand why a lot of folks would be better off with a more park or carving oriented stick with a little less underfoot, but these are actually the skinniest ski in my rotation so I’m not the right guy for those kind off recs
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Well yeah, I'm still looking for some 187 MVPs...but maybe North is now too?

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I have to add this, because, well I honestly don’t love how these threads always turn into the “this is what I ski thread” but…
    I bought a pair of heavy core MVP’s carbon/veneer to be my dick around, ski with the kids and friends and family, low tide, and old man park skiing (cause I still dig that kind of shit) a couple years ago, old version not new but still applies IMO. I very quickly found out that these sticks are shockingly good at what OP described. Seriously, in crusty or soft, breakable/ edgeable off piste these things fucking crush. Like way better at that kind of skiing than what I bought them for. I totally found myself breaking them out on solo charging days over some pretty big hitters that I thoroughly enjoy. It makes since, considering who built them and what for, but holy shit they really shine in the conditions you described. Also really dig the ON3P rec here, haven’t skied the Woodsman in particular, but jeeez do those cores smash, I would highly consider that as well in this spot if I was in the market. I’ve also found that after a lot break in and lots of detuning the MVP’s really do what I originally intended, I don’t have to bring them up to speed to enjoy them (I mean yeah a little, but less than other skis that charge this hard), can bend the tips and tails enough to enjoy the em in the park without folding em while charging and they ski switch as well as they do the other direction, and carve groomers just fine. They really are that ski that is just really, really good at just about everything but probably not the “best” at anything particular. I feel really confident recommending them to any skiers capable of getting out of em what they put into em. I also understand why a lot of folks would be better off with a more park or carving oriented stick with a little less underfoot, but these are actually the skinniest ski in my rotation so I’m not the right guy for those kind off recs
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...?highlight=mvp

Jus sayin

I think you are getting some really varied suggestions, and the right answer probably depends on how you ski.

Just in the ON3P world you really could choose anything from Wrens to Woods to Jeffs, and it depends on whether you wanna charge, carve or smear (over simplified, obviously), and I could see you choosing anything from mid 90s to 110. In conditions like you describe I might choose an old pair of Line Supernaturals I have if I really want to lay into the ski and get energy back or some Jeffrey 108s if I'm more into playing that day. They are super different skis but both work for that type of skiing. I also might choose different for CBs headwall laps vs CB North Face off the beaten track stuff.

You've told us where you want to ski, and in what conditions, but not about how you want to ski. Give us some more info about how you like to get down the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Mfree 108
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If you're looking for a b ski to your Billygoat, mfree108 or maybe the newest iteration of the woodsman. But the mfree108 is hard to beat (in the 192.)
    Define "b ski". The Mfree hype from BGs fan bois has me intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    IIRC your boot sole is close-ish to mine, you're welcome to take my Woodsman 108s for a spin.
    295 for alpine bindings. 303 for touring bindings. Will def take you up on that, although the updated version sounds more my speed.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I like the Corvus. PM me if you want to pick mine up and take them out for a day. I'm in Lafayette.
    Ah forgot about the Corvus - sounds like something I might like. If BSL works I'd be stoked to take them out. I'm in Superior.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    -Off piste low tide- I think you want to be in a 98mm class ski with metal. I like the Bonafide.
    Maybe. Haven't been on many modern metal lam skis, but haven't loved the ones I have been on. Not metal averse, I do like old metal Volkls (red mantra , explosivs).

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Second the E104 recommendation
    Full disclosure: I own an E100. Not believing the hype yet, but need to ski them more. Might need to be more neutral on them.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think my new Deathwish 104s are going to play this role really nicely.
    Never skied a Moment probably should change that soon. Thanks for the Corvus comparo. Definitely like a loose tail in soft snow and trees (BG, EHP). Never really ski LL but appreciate the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Well yeah, I'm still looking for some 187 MVPs...but maybe North is now too?
    I owned MVPs once upon a time. Prematurely sold them. Could've been the tune, was too dumb to check.

FWIW my older alpine Woods are mounted 1cm back from recommended, so pretty close to the current mount point. And they're mounted for 293 so you're spot on.
    Changes since then, other than mount point and slight rejiggering of the core profile & sidecut to match, are 2mm in width and a bit of a core profile change. I also have a pair of 108s order late last season that got the new core profile and I honestly can't tell a difference, although touring boots and bindings vs alpine kinda masks the differences.

tl:dr the ones I have are close enough to the current that you'll know if you like 'em or not

Some good banter in here for sure. My biased interpretation of your ask points directly to the OG Cochise. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, as it is typically one of the references in this category. I ski mine whenever the Goats don't make sense and have a hard time imagining a better ski for firm off piste conditions. I find narrower and turnier more work in these situations, as they want to carve instead of slarve. Cochise is happy to do that later in tight spaces and will do the former if you have the space to let them run. Sounds like groomer performance is a low priority for you, so the Cochise seems like a good option - that's the only place I sometimes wish they were narrower/turnier. YMMV and all that.

Define "b ski". The Mfree hype from BGs fan bois has me intrigued.
    Can't speak for LWS, but as a fellow BG fan who skis the MFree 108 as my daily, I think of the BG as my "a" ski, meaning it's the ski I want to use first when the conditions are right. It's my favorite ski in the quiver. The MFree is what I ski on days when the BG isn't the right call.

I've tended towards more charging skis for my DD (QLab, old Gotama and Mantra, etc.) but the MFree gives me the right amount of chargeability with a pop and looseness that I've been looking for. It allows me to ski hard when I want and is still fun to dick around on when I'm skiing with my kids.

While I love the MFree, I'm still a Mag and have a wandering eye for other skis. The other ones I want to try are Katana 108 and Woodsman 108/110 in a 192 (skied and enjoyed a 187). Not all of us have spouses that allow us to have a true fleet (not merely a quiver) of skis like Bandit Man.

My Corvus are mounted for a 302 BSL. STH2 WTR. Should work fine. They are 188's.