Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    what style would you say the Rustler suits?
    Probably best of both worlds, like most blizzards?

Japanada would know more, he tests out a lot of different skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Monsters are freaking amazing. A little one dimensional in their turn radius and style, but within that realm they can do everything.

They are 10 out of 10 charger, but surprisingly easy to ski for being so stiff and burly. Idk what it is, but they are just as forgiving as full rocker Katanas.. maybe even more so. Except for trees, use your bacons for trees.

If you know how to ski well, I cannot recommend anything better. They flat out rip.

I think HEAD is really stepping up. The new Kore series seems great as well. I haven’t skied them, but fiddling around with them in a local shop, I was very impressed. Light, stiff, thick-ass core, thicker than normal. They have more rocker than the Monsters, and no metal, so should be more forgiving. But I could tell they will still charge. Sam Lee skis them on the Freeride World Tour.

I dont have too much experience with skis under 100mm, I like em’ fat, but if you want something for less than deep powder, I recommend HEAD skis.

I've skied the Kore and Monsters from Head and the Monsters are way better as a resort charger. The Kores can carve nicely like most Heads but get bucked around a lot in chunky variable snow. I would use the Kore as a dedicated touring ski but not as a resort daily driver.

Anyone have experience on Monster 98's and Kastle MX98's? I owned Wren 98's. Did not care for them, but in their defense, I had the 184's, needed 189's, and was probably trying to fill a Wren 88 type role in the quiver (firmer tail, giggity).

Demo'd Bonafide's in 180cm and liked them much better, instantly.

Read on TGR that MX98's would out-bonafide the bonafide and possibly even Monster 98s. Bought on sale at the end of last season and liked them a lot for the reasons it sounds like people like the Monsters.

(edit: found the old thread--really just skibrd's post from 3/11/17 that prompted me to try the kastles: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-still-stable .)

Pretty similar skis? Do I need to try the Monsters? Or does OP need to try the MX 98s?
    Last edited by mattig; 10-26-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Probably best of both worlds, like most blizzards?

Japanada would know more, he tests out a lot of different skis.

Never skied Blizzards, but interested in picking up a pair of Rustlers this season. I'm an ex racer that has definitely adopted a modern/progressive ski style, but miss having a ski that I can actually trust to go hard in between "features".. Been on too many noodles recently.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So, given: RESORT and DAILY DRIVER

Unless you have discovered the resort that can guarantee fresh snow every night, or even every other night, why the fuck would you think that anything over 90 mm would be applicable, you ignorant sluts????
    Because we know how to edge, you ignorant slut.

Why not just match the BG with a wren 108? A little overlap with the BG, I suppose, but with dims like those, you'd only have to bring 1 ski to travel.
    98 wouldn't be bad, but if you're a bigger guy and like to go over instead of around stuff, get bigger skis.
    Shit, other than when it hasn't snowed in a week, you might just be able to ski BG's everyday. Unless they're unwieldy and maybe you also want something lighter, something for a little touring.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Some good banter in here as usual. To reiterate, I'm moving on from the 105-110mm category. Looking to try something new, and I've been having fun on skinnier stuff lately. No need for 108mm ski for "tweener" days. Anytime there's new snow on the ground and I'm at the resort I'm more likely to grab the BGs.

I've got a pretty solid list of options now, but I really think this is going to end with me mounting up the Explosivs I picked up this summer, buying an old MR2, driving it to the mountain in rear entry boots, and proclaiming loudly to everybody on the chairlift that ski innovation stopped in the mid-90s. If you see me feel free to say hey, but I probably won't be able to hear you unless I'm changing the tape in my walkman.

Please use these & put them on before driving Mister 2 to the Valet Parking area.

Name:  knee_high_boot8.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  40.2 KB

Riding skis that are over 100mm underfoot on groomers and on shallow snow is on the same level as riding fatbikes on anything other than snow or beach sand. Sure you can do it, but....

^^ Hah! I had those boots when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    ^^ Hah! I had those boots when I was a kid.
    Did you race in MN? In 83-84?

Disagree with this statement. Many solid skis over 100 can rip shallow snow. Think you need to explore some more my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Riding skis that are over 100mm underfoot on groomers and on shallow snow is on the same level as riding fatbikes on anything other than snow or beach sand. Sure you can do it, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Did you race in MN? In 83-84?
    Nope.

^^^ I thought not; guy that wore those was a douche. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Disagree with this statement. Many solid skis over 100 can rip shallow snow. Think you need to explore some more my friend.
    "groomers and on shallow snow". I have plenty of experience skiing wider skis of varying construction methods on groomers and shallow snow. High 80's to mid 90's is the sweet spot for the combination of those conditions IMO.

That said, I wouldn't expect all skiers to agree. Ride what makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ I thought not; guy that wore those was a douche. Lol
    According to some, that could have been me.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Because we know how to edge, you ignorant slut.
    Thankyouthankyouthnkyou; after ridiculing so many posers as ignorant sluts, I was waaaaaay overdue.

Know how to edge and owning the edge are universes apart. The only tim I've seen a +90 ski edging in a true carve the ski (Keith, of Praxis renown, no less) he was going mach looney and barely arcing. If you can do that, more power to you; for those of us mere mortals a tool optimized for carving, if the goal is carving on old, firm snow is obviously not much over 80 mm. Sure you can "carve" on a fatty, just as you can surf pow on a 65 mm carver, but why would you do so when a superior tool is readily available???

Damn, this is my first year ever owning something under 100mm underfoot. I must be doing it wrong

Damn, this is my first year ever owning something under 100mm underfoot. I must be doing it wrong

If enough of us are doing it wrong, does that make us right?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If you can have more than one pair of alpine skis why waste one of them on something 95-105mm?

If you mostly stick to the groomers - 17/18 Brahma
    If you want to spend more time on firm off piste or moguls - Wrenegade 88

Legend 96 (despite being in the cm of mediocracy) is a fun fucking ski but might be a bit turny for your tastes. One of the few skis over 90 I’d recommend. Excelles in variable spring snow in a variety of terrain. Rips quick to medium turns on firm.
    Wren 88 was honestly my favorite ski from the demo tent on shit snow at Stevens last March.

Have you been on the Legend x88?

I rocked some Moment PB&Js on a 6” pow day in Jackson a few years back, and Japanada called me out for doing it wrong lol.

“What are you doing on those!”

He knew I had a large quiver, and I guess I was doing it wrong??Ever since then, fat skis everyday.

Til’ now. I am starting to go thinner and thinner. Monster 98s and Shreditor 92s.

Thankyouthankyouthnkyou; after ridiculing so many posers as ignorant sluts, I was waaaaaay overdue.

Know how to edge and owning the edge are universes apart. The only tim I've seen a +90 ski edging in a true carve the ski (Keith, of Praxis renown, no less) he was going mach looney and barely arcing. If you can do that, more power to you; for those of us mere mortals a tool optimized for carving, if the goal is carving on old, firm snow is obviously not much over 80 mm. Sure you can "carve" on a fatty, just as you can surf pow on a 65 mm carver, but why would you do so when a superior tool is readily available???
    Tgr has gone epicski...

Well ...... I am a 67 year old geezer, after all

Well ...... I am a 67 year old geezer, after all
    Keeping it real.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Wow that's bull. I tune my skis and my bindings are stiff. I do plenty of full on high angle GS carving on hardpack with skis around a 100mm waist, but those are certainly better skis for mixed soft snow. I've carved powder skis in the 120 to 130mm waist range on packed powder and crud. Most of the skis I use for specifically carving hardpack are in the 85mm to 90mm waist range, with 80mm to 95mm waist being acceptable. Using a 10mm lift on a race construction midfat under 90mm will make it an even better carver, without sacrificing much maneuverability.

That said, the majority of even "good" skiers without a race background don't do much carving, and don't typically hit edge angles over 30 degrees.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 10-29-2017 at 05:47 PM.

I can’t wait to heartcarve this season