Thread: Hi tech travois

Hi tech travois

Looking for a high tech travois that can be easily broken down and carried in a day pack, for emergency hauling of injured 85 lb dog. Quick search came up empty, expecting to make from scratch (but would rather not).

Suggestion--don't take your dog where there's a chance of injury. Disclaimer--I learned that the hard way, carrying a 90# Irish setter with sore feet down Mt Tallac--3000 vert/5 miles. Dogs will follow us to the death; it's up to us to not let that happen. Obviously you're conscientious to consider the possibility of dog injury--just take it one step farther. I've never heard of anyone taking a travois to haul an injured child out; it's up to us as parents to keep that from being necessary. Same with dogs.

Maybe someone who searches better than I do can find the thread from the guy who left his dog in the top of a couloir because he didn't think it was safe to go into the couloir to get it out and it couldn't get out itself. Dog was gone by the time he went back up.

Just my opinion, of course.

Have friends that got same workout this summer. Their dog was only 60# though. The dog was no hiking wimp either, tallac just tore up his paws

Sigh

Okay, you want the gory details? It's an 8 year old Doberman that's positive for all the genetic markers, plus troponin, for breed specific cardiomyopathy. He's in the prime of his life, excellent shape, and lives for simple hikes in the mountains i.e. short, cool temps, on well established trails (no scree/talus), 2-3 miles with minimal elevation change, which just happens to be all my aging body can take as well. we've experienced this twice with previous dogs, and both times they literally dropped dead in mid-stride. <insert rant/screed about inbred dog breeds> <counter with fact that this dog is from the european line that is supposedly much less prone to cardiomyopathy>. ln all likelihood I will actually be hauling out a dead dog carcass. I have argued in many other dog threads that a dog should always be treated like your own child in terms owner/parent responsibility i.e. never, ever place their lives in jeopardy through ignorance, laziness, or carelessness. The activity in question in this specific circumstance in no way places my dog in additional danger. I practice what I preach.

Oh, and we always walk on the left side on trails cuz ...... fucking cyclists

So, any actual constructive knowledge here, or just righteous shaming?

Heh; guess I'm a little more touchy about this than I realized. I'm just trying to ensure that the remaining time for a truly wonderful animal is as happy for him as I can make it.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Hi tech travois

Perhaps it's just me, but if I die from heart failure on a wonderful hike in the mountains, just find a nice spot to pile big rocks on me and leave me at peace in my happy place. No need to carry me any further.
    Below treeline, a nice hot pyre is even better. Just promise not to risk anyone's neck to cart out my useless carcass.

Harry: Please clarify - are you simply providing a reference for previously excoriated dog owner behavior, or do you actually think this has some more specific application to my situation? If so you damn well better elucidate.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Perhaps it's just me, but if I die from heart failure on a wonderful hike in the mountains, just find a nice spot to pile big rocks on me and leave me at peace in my happy place. No need to carry me any further.
    Below treeline, a nice hot pyre is even better. Just promise not to risk anyone's neck to cart out my useless carcass.
    I actually greatly appreciate this perspective, and one of my options is to just bring a shovel and bury my companion simply and quickly in the land he loves. I would be honored to be treated in a similar fashion.

man this is super sweet that you still want to get your buddy out into his fav spots- i have nothing to add but wish you luck and share with us what you figure out- maybe will help others

also fwiw I have also been beyond annoyed when posting something and then people assume that you didn't consider even the most basic things in your thinking like you wd ever willfully endanger your BF- so brush it off

it sucks knowing you are gonna lose your best friend. unfair that their life spans are so different from ours (((internet hug)))
    skid luxury

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Harry: Please clarify - are you simply providing a reference for previously excoriated dog owner behavior, or do you actually think this has some more specific application to my situation? If so you damn well better elucidate.
    Harry is duly capable to speak for himself but FWIW, I interpreted his post as evidence that an 85 lb. disabled dog can be packed out.

I'm with BCMH. If I died in the wilderness, I would prefer that my body remain in the wilderness. Unfortunately, laws prohibit such treatment of human bodies.

I won't tell the authorities if you won't.

Utmost respect to any one who can carry 85 or 100 lbs on their back for any distance and elevation, but I would crumple like a soggy straw. Hence my search for alternatives.

I'll go with location being the prime determinant: rocky, with little soil - cairn; grassy meadow - burial.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Sigh

Okay, you want the gory details? It's an 8 year old Doberman that's positive for all the genetic markers, plus troponin, for breed specific cardiomyopathy. He's in the prime of his life, excellent shape, and lives for simple hikes in the mountains i.e. short, cool temps, on well established trails (no scree/talus), 2-3 miles with minimal elevation change, which just happens to be all my aging body can take as well. we've experienced this twice with previous dogs, and both times they literally dropped dead in mid-stride. <insert rant/screed about inbred dog breeds> <counter with fact that this dog is from the european line that is supposedly much less prone to cardiomyopathy>. ln all likelihood I will actually be hauling out a dead dog carcass. I have argued in many other dog threads that a dog should always be treated like your own child in terms owner/parent responsibility i.e. never, ever place their lives in jeopardy through ignorance, laziness, or carelessness. The activity in question in this specific circumstance in no way places my dog in additional danger. I practice what I preach.

Oh, and we always walk on the left side on trails cuz ...... fucking cyclists

So, any actual constructive knowledge here, or just righteous shaming?

Heh; guess I'm a little more touchy about this than I realized. I'm just trying to ensure that the remaining time for a truly wonderful animal is as happy for him as I can make it.
    Seems reasonable. IME (carrying out a 90# dog, and my more extensive experience carrying and handcarting a golf bag on a very hilly course) carrying will be easier than dragging . If you can't carry him out I doubt you'll find dragging any easier but I've never specifically tried it. My first thought was like others suggested--bury the dog in place--but unless a trail is very remote that is not likely to go over well with other trail users. Hoping he beats the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post

also fwiw I have also been beyond annoyed when posting something and then people assume that you didn't consider even the most basic things in your thinking like you wd ever willfully endanger your BF- so brush it off
    When someone posts asking for advice on doing something that on the face of it sounds sketchy due to lack of information in the post describing the OP's experience, ability, rationale, etc questioning the activity is reasonable and we are obligated to question it. If the OP then explains things well enough to satisfy us that they know what they are doing, fine. Most of us don't know each other--we don't know each other's ability, intelligence, honesty, etc. No one should take offense because someone who doesn't know them personally does not understand they are able, smart, and honest. If you want advice from people who know you. ask them. All this applies only to issues of safety IMO. If someone asks about what ski to buy, telling them to go to a bootfitter is a douche move.

There are way too many people out there on the trails and in this forum abusing their dogs without realizing it. As I said before, I've been guilty, and more than once. Bringing a note of caution seems like the right thing to do. Abuse yourself, but not your dog. Wait--that didn't come out right . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When someone posts asking for advice on doing something that on the face of it sounds sketchy due to lack of information in the post describing the OP's experience, ability, rationale, etc questioning the activity is reasonable and we are obligated to question it. If the OP then explains things well enough to satisfy us that they know what they are doing, fine. Most of us don't know each other--we don't know each other's ability, intelligence, honesty, etc. No one should take offense because someone who doesn't know them personally does not understand they are able, smart, and honest. If you want advice from people who know you. ask them. All this applies only to issues of safety IMO. If someone asks about what ski to buy, telling them to go to a bootfitter is a douche move.
    This incident is a good example
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4198416&page=1

OP - something to strap the dog on the pack might be easier. doesn't sound a fun task.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Honestly, this would seem like the best option, for a multitude of reasons... and IMO, it would be very dignified and respectful.

and really, no need for a shovel... constructing a simple rock cairn over the body would promote decomposition but prevent predation.
    Predators, or more accurately scavengers, have to eat too.

"Today is a good day to die."

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    This incident is a good example
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4198416&page=1

OP - something to strap the dog on the pack might be easier. doesn't sound a fun task.
    When I had to carry my dog down Tallac I was able to stuff her hind legs part way into my day pack and the rest of her kind of across my shoulders. Hard to remember the details--it was a long time ago. She made things more difficult by continually trying to jump off. (This was the same dog that jumped out the second story rough window opening when I was adding a second story. But it wasn't the one that kept trying to jump into the back of my pickup before I had a chance to drop the gate. That was her mother. Brains didn't run in that family.)

PB--I hope you're never faced with the situation you fear. In addition to the obvious reason, I can imagine the difficulty of dealing with anyone you encounter on the trail, who is likely to give you the same kind of shit I gave you. Best wishes.