Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

October, October, October !!! Ski Streak may stall at 144

SkiLife has been good since I started this thread "Should I even consider skiing in Colorado to continue a streak" back in October 2007.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...inue-a-streak?

That was the only time I required a plane ticket to get some October turns while living in the East. Now up to #144 months. Awesome off-season thanks to a nice bank of airline points, California in July (when there was still some turns available in the East) and one Aug/Sept week on Mt. Hood.

Another extremely warm Fall, probably record breaking in the East. It's fricking +22c on October 22 (72F) in Ottawa, average temp is +10c... A few hours of snowmaking at Killington, Sunday River and St-Sauveur back on October 17. The cold weather window in the long-range forecast keeps being postponed. October 25 was initially suppose to be cold enough, but now it looks like it isn't going to be cold enough. The next window is October 31/November 1.

What should I do?

Staking snow behind an arena isn't an option. Buying ice and spreading it out either.

Closest (not last day of the month) snow should be in Northern Ontario East of Lake Superior up to Timmins. Snow gets closer on October 30.

And then there is Colorado on FF points. Europe glaciers are awesome, but timing/cost would be difficult to make it happen.

I've avoided flying out for turns in October (or July), with only one exception in October 2007. That year, Sunday River opened on October 31, but I wasn't going to risk it.

I've flown a few times for July turns, but that was on exceptional good years in the PNW (2012) or California (2006, 10, 17).

August/September always requires some travelling (which isn't exclusively focus on skiing): Andes (5 times), Oregon (4 times), Alps (2 times) and New Zealand (once).

So the question is out there....what should I do?

Call it quits?
    Hang on, wait and hope for something to happen in time for Octoturns?
    Play it safe, I get some plane tickets on points for Colorado?
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Book that ticket to ColoRADo and keep the streak alive.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    That would be too easy... plus if I would count that... I would be able to add 2-months prior to month #1 back in 2005.
    August: Sand skiing, September: Grass skiing

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan
    The forecast tonight is showing a slim chance of cold and snow before the end of the month. I'll wait a few days and see if I need a plane ticket.
    Ski Mad World

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Book it Danno

How important is keeping the streak alive to you ?

It’s not like the skiing will be any good wherever you go

^^^ this.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Well now you've forced a trip to SA; nice going.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    How important is keeping the streak alive to you ?

It’s not like the skiing will be any good wherever you go
    Good point, but being in Colorado is never a bad time.

Colorado and Timberline in OR look like your options at this point, at least for lift served skiing in North America

If you're committed to the every month thing then just foot the bill and do it.

This is why I never formally did this, although many years I did de-facto ski every month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

we have some decent snow up high here in the tetons too. people were skinning and skiing at Targhee and some braver folks on teton pass this past weekend.
    The tram is currently not open which is a bummer bc the snow up there was looking decent and easy to get to

Good luck- hope you keep the streak going. In the future it would be fun if you cd also sneak in a month in Dubai or one of those indoor ski areas- just for the novelty
    skid luxury

Looks like Cooke City has some decent coverage

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like a good excuse to head to Colorado for a few days

I am always impressed you can keep this streak going from Ottawa, it would be hard out west with all the glacier options. Good luck.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Having your streak stall at 144 months would be gross! Do whatever it takes to keep your streak staying alive (cue Bee Gees) Also, there are plenty of skiable patches in the Tahoe area and Eastern Sierra if your flight takes you to Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Looks like Cooke City has some decent coverage

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If I were flying from points east, I'd go PNW or BC, based on the photos I've seen coming out of Mt. Baker and Kicking Horse. I've been driving to Cooke because I want to see if I can ski 52 weeks in a row, but if I were going to fly somewhere, I don't think it would be at the top of my list. The good terrain seems a bit on the sketchy side right now—either insufficiently covered and you run a serious shark-induced-crash risk, or freshly wind-loaded on top of a crusty/faceted layer (at least from what I was able to tell in lower-angle stuff).

I mean, I'm sure you could also find some good turns at higher elevation elsewhere in Montana, but accessibility would be a challenge unless you were willing to risk the ire of the federal government and find a way to open the Beartooth Pass gate.

Also, it's not like Montana is easy to fly to from anywhere. If you happened to have another reason to be here, by all means, but I'd fly to where the snow currently is....and at 144 months, I'm pretty sure I would fly to keep the streak going.

Poach KMart or whomever's blowing when they['re not looking. As noted by other's it's not about quality, it's monthly quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Poach KMart or whomever's blowing when they['re not looking. As noted by other's it's not about quality, it's monthly quantity.
    Too warm.

I say do it Madpat! Go to CO. The only regrets you will have is if you don’t go. At this stage I wouldn’t count on Ontario snow.
    27° 18°

Right now...the only sure choice and snow are...

I'm hesitating right now between 5-hour drive flat 2km cross-country skiing or 8 hours drive-flight-transit for downhill turns.

Denver or Portland. Portland won't have any lift serve by the time I arrive, but I could go see Morrissey.
    Ski Mad World

I'm digging the new Moz single, I'd hit Portland.

https://www.vevo.com/watch/morrissey...)/GBZA41700277
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I'm digging the new Moz single, I'd hit Portland.
    Excellent thanks. I remember eyeing those dates, but now I really want to see him. I've seen him once ....way back in Montreal with the Smiths in 1986.

Portland on Oct 31 and skinning on Hood.
    Boston on Dec 7 and I'm sleeping in Sunday River 3-hours away that night and coaching the next 3-days.
    Or NYC on Dec 2 (which I thinking of brining my wife for her 50th bday).
    Ski Mad World

Halloween is looking good for Hood. Good to hear you are keeping it going.

Keep it going !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens between the things you plan.

Skinning on Hood sounds good to me. Haven't been since 89'. Make a few Palmer turns for me.

So after searching to get the best flight on points and dates. Leaving Ottawa on super early next Monday morning with only one connection in YYZ in 6 hours. I didn't want to go Ottawa-Newark-Atlanta-Denver with a risk of lost bag or missed connection.

If I want to see Morrissey, it will have to be in December.

Now, next question: a cheap place to stay/crash. Any deals on tickets?
    Ski Mad World