Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    there does seem to be a higher percentage of people back east that are annoyingly uncomfortable with silence.
    But Steaux is just as good as any ski area out west...

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Lots of good responses and insights. The seclusion and transient nature of the base area would probably be our downfall. I like to socialize, even with strangers, but as we age I imagine that I'll want to settle into a core group of friends.

Growing up, I practically lived at The Big Mtn, then college in Missoula and working at Snowbowl. 100+ days a year for 10yrs straight, so I spent a lot of time thinking about how nice it would be to live at the base and not drive to ski. Of course, that is when I thought that I'd ski for a living and MTBs hadn't really been invented yet. As I get older, I still love to ski and want to get back into the culture full time, but also realize that there are other things that keep me happy as well.

Now to find that place in town..... would be great to be able to walk to the ski bus stop and catch that free ride to the hill

Thanks again, appreciate the input.
    Where do you live in Iowegia? I think I remember dsm so you prolly go north to ski? Vibes. Anyway ping me I'd you ever make it to Chestnut. We are up every week on weeks we aren't out west and have a pretty cool group of 30 to 40 to just 50 somethings from CR we ski with usually.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely reach out to you to connect at some point this year. It would be a good excuse to head over to Chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    .......another dumb Canuck goes down...........
    canada: #7 best education system globally (US #18); universal healthcare for citizens; lower poverty rate than the US; lower crime rate than the US; lower obesity rate than the US .................. you're right! that sound pretty fucking dumb
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Nice head
    crab in my shoe mouth

thanx, i made it myself ......
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    canada: #7 best education system globally (US #18); universal healthcare for citizens; lower poverty rate than the US; lower crime rate than the US; lower obesity rate than the US .................. you're right! that sound pretty fucking dumb
    Yea, but it's way harder to get the good guns in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    I agree, but your sig hurt my eyes. I like the Tyson quote, but it overpowers your actual content.

Don’t let everyone here bullshit you. There are no negatives...Unless you’re broke

You could test it out by leasing a slopeside condo/house for a season.

I've found it very enjoyable for weekends. Nothing like rolling out of bed at 830, eating breakfast, and walking out to the lift at 9. Same with convenient place for lunch, changing clothes/gear, place to ditch friends and so forth. I'm happy to eat in... the (non-existent) nightlife doesn't bother me. Coming in tired, no need to drive, crash on the couch for an hour before making dinner. Leaving the car parked for a few days is nice too. Also the extra flexibility around storms - no need to worry about road conditions - pile up that powder! I'll drive when ski conditions worsen and road conditions improve.

Not sure I'd like it full time due to the off-season ghost town aspect, and hour drive to a real town with grocery stores, etc. Then again, finding a few other kooks might just make it enjoyable full time.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

This belongs here.

Why Are Ski Towns Seeing More Suicides? - National Geographic
    https://apple.news/ACc6ujN_JSxqDfqixAokrtw

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Ski resort social dynamics get really weird. If you don't really want or need a social life, then it won't matter. But if you do, the stresses of living a high class lifestyle on low class wages makes a lot of people pretty odd. And the cost of living at resorts means that most people are facing those stresses. Earning $50k a year by working a variety of odd jobs is fine, and in decent sized towns, lots of folks can make htat work. But when everything from housing to utilities to groceries to gasoline is 25-100% more expensive than in town, that doesn't just stress your own budget, it means lots of people have deeply stressed budgets, and thus lots of people living in the most beautiful places are deeply stressed themselves. Before moving to a resort, I think you would do well to spend a LOT of time there getting to know the long term residents, the folks who will be your year round neighbors, and judging the level of community drama to make sure you can handle it, or that you'll be okay just checking out of it.
    This ^^^

And - if you live in a resort or small town full-time and you want a social life, you will be hanging out with everyone whether you like them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    This belongs here.

well worth a read.

This belongs here.

Easy for me to understand. From 86-89 I pursued the thought of "going pro" in the ski industry. Had started to create the connections, had the skills, had some great ski mentors (pro and bum), even had the girl with the trust fund. But, one day at the end of the season, I was speaking to one of my ski mentors about the upcoming summer. I found that although he was well regarded in skiing and as an artist, he was living above a benefactors garage. Collected unemployment between seasons, sometimes got a summer job and just floated thru life. But, he was approaching 50, hadn't seen his kids for a decade and was talking about how he was going to make ends meet for any sort of retirement. It was a wake-up call for me....I thought he had it made, yet he was talking about the downsides of his life (spring slump like mentioned in this article?)

Don't get me wrong, that is the ski bum life, and a great life for many. But, it made me realize that I couldn't live without the security of a future/retirement (didn't help that I didn't love the trust fund girl).

So now I have the nice career and retirement lined up, but I did pay for it in other ways. Skied maybe 4-6 times the two years following college, short 2yr stint back in Missoula to coach MSEF, then over 20yrs with only xmas ski trips or 1 week guy/family trips. Thus the reason for this thread, trying to get back to the dream. But was it ever my dream life?

White Fish is a really nice place and your plan is sound.

But it’s also more of a summer resort. You might be better off looking at a place on the lake or a golf course.

I’ve stayed up at the ski resort in the summer, because it was super cheap. It was also deader than a door nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Easy for me to understand. From 86-89 I pursued the thought of "going pro" in the ski industry. Had started to create the connections, had the skills, had some great ski mentors (pro and bum), even had the girl with the trust fund. But, one day at the end of the season, I was speaking to one of my ski mentors about the upcoming summer. I found that although he was well regarded in skiing and as an artist, he was living above a benefactors garage. Collected unemployment between seasons, sometimes got a summer job and just floated thru life. But, he was approaching 50, hadn't seen his kids for a decade and was talking about how he was going to make ends meet for any sort of retirement. It was a wake-up call for me....I thought he had it made, yet he was talking about the downsides of his life (spring slump like mentioned in this article?)

Don't get me wrong, that is the ski bum life, and a great life for many. But, it made me realize that I couldn't live without the security of a future/retirement (didn't help that I didn't love the trust fund girl).

So now I have the nice career and retirement lined up, but I did pay for it in other ways. Skied maybe 4-6 times the two years following college, short 2yr stint back in Missoula to coach MSEF, then over 20yrs with only xmas ski trips or 1 week guy/family trips. Thus the reason for this thread, trying to get back to the dream. But was it ever my dream life?
    Sounds like you've thought things through pretty well. If the wife is down, go live slopeside at Big Sky. Why not? The drive to Bozeman is long and can be white knuckle, depending on the weather. But you're not at a stage of your life where you will need to do it more than once every week or two for the run to the real grocery store.

The thing is, skiing typically takes place from 9am to 4pm and it's difficult to do bell to bell every. single. day. Especially if it hasn't snowed in a couple weeks. Even if you did, lifts are still only open till 4.
    So, what do you like to do after 4:30? Days off? Do you want to be far from that? Because you are going to be if you live slopeside.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The thing is, skiing typically takes place from 9am to 4pm and it's difficult to do bell to bell every. single. day.

So, what do you like to do after 4:30?
    Ski, eat, girlfriend/wife, sleep, repeat. Every. Single. Day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There is absolutely nothing sucky about living on the hill if you're a skier. I did it for 10 years from age 18-28. A day never goes by without fond memories from those years entering my thoughts. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    There is absolutely nothing sucky about living on the hill if you're a skier. I did it for 10 years from age 18-28. A day never goes by without fond memories from those years entering my thoughts. Go for it.
    Dude is in his 50's BTW.

Bit different form your experience

Dude is in his 50's BTW.

Bit different form your experience
    Age doesn't change the fact that it can be a sweet existence. I'm fully aware of his age. I read the thread.

Age doesn't change the fact that it can be a sweet existence. I'm fully aware of his age. I read the thread.
    Age changes the criteria that define a sweet existence.

Age changes the criteria that define a sweet existence.
    Ah no. What is or isn't a sweet existence is a personal thing only.

Everyone is different. I know plenty of people that enjoy their later years living AT the resort. It's all what you make of it.

Ah no. What is or isn't a sweet existence is a personal thing only.

Everyone is different. I know plenty of people that enjoy their later years living AT the resort. It's all what you make of it.
    Sure

Who the fuck is MrMan?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.