Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I/O X goggles. I much prefer them over the original I/O that I hoarded.

As for helmet, I've been in the Vantage for a few years and I don't much like it. The fit is too round. I'm finding my head more long oval. Suggestions for that head shape would be swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    ...my head more long oval. Suggestions for that head shape would be swell.
    As per previous post: Giro Seam. My ovoid melon gives me all kinds of trouble fitting helmets. Seam is the best fit I've found to date.

Helmet - Giro 9 [Got it @STP for cheap - FTW]
    Goggles - Outdoor Master pro (IIRC) - [Also very cheap - notice a trend? From Amazon. Magnetic lenses - appears to be an Anon knock-off. Very happy with them. Instead of two lenses, I just got two entire frames with difference lenses - for around $50 for all. I've got more than a full year on them, and can't find anything wrong with them. I think you can even get them in red!]

But the googles will cost you major steeze points. [At least if you're of the crowd that, in cycling, would say; "It's not how you ride, it's how you look." But since I'm now officially old, and don't care about steeze, I'm quite pleased. Great functionality, very happy. 9/10 - would do again.]

Giro ledge + IO/7s

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    "It's not how you ride, it's how you look."
    What kind of fucking wanker douchebag would say that?!?

Anyhow, I'd noticed those many, cheap-but-legit-looking, modern design goggs on amazon, with boatloads of great reviews, and wondered if they were the real deal (supposedly a huge percentage of reviews on amazon are by shils, so...). Guess so.

If you're self-conscious about your off-brand...just sharpie the fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post

Anyhow, I'd noticed those many, cheap-but-legit-looking, modern design goggs on amazon, with boatloads of great reviews, and wondered if they were the real deal (supposedly a huge percentage of reviews on amazon are by shils, so...). Guess so.

Fake, most reviews are there all paid for from PBN and other user networks. If you want to save a fortune you can make your own goggle brand and have 100 goggles for the price of one of the amazon pairs, all it takes is a trip onto Alibaba. Its where all these new brands come from.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Oh, no one actually says that with their mouth. They say it with their actions. Surely you've noticed them in life, eh?

As for fake reviews; I can't honestly say that all the reviews are legit. Fakespot is pretty good, I think in catching them, in general. And in specific - the Chinese off-brand, anon-knock-off goggles I'm using - I'm really happy with. Having looked at numerous reviews, for those, virtually all appear legit.

All I can say is I'm perfectly happy to let people who are convinced the $200 whatever-steeze-brand-they-feel-compelled-to-buy is really worth it, spend their money however they please. But I'm super pleased with my $25 [at least when I bought them] pair, and would be very hard pressed to come up with some detail that would be handled better by a name-brand pair.

The only exception I can think of, would be some of the power-vented versions - which have a fan. I haven't seen any knock-offs of those. [And those people have my pity. Would suck, I think, to have to have batteries for your goggles. I have a hard enough time making sure my phone's got juice. Having to worry about the goggles too would be a PITA.]

Giro Combyn helmet and Contact goggles. Full disclosure -- I work for them, so I'm biased. Regardless, the majority of the time I go goggles under. No better helmet out there for that than the Combyn.

^^^
    What are the advantages of the Combyn over the Ledge?
    I’m a goggles over kind of guy.

I would like to try some of the gordini's where the lens is connected by a magnet
    have seen lynsey dyer using them and they look like a useful design
    https://www.gearx.com/gordini-relode...7407&553=27408

but I got these from smith last yr so I never want to get new goggles again
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4611.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	219226
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    ^^^
    What are the advantages of the Combyn over the Ledge?
    I’m a goggles over kind of guy.
    The Combyn is a little more accommodating to a goggle strap on the inside. It has removable pads that leave an open channel behind your head, and the main foam itself is a different type from your typical helmet EPS - a bit more supple to go along with the outer soft shell . If you're going goggles over, the advantage of the Ledge's traditional hardshell + EPS construction is that it accomodates MIPS.

chromopop meh imo--both everydays and low lights, no better than blue and yellow sensor and ignitor to justify the extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    The Combyn is a little more accommodating to a goggle strap on the inside. It has removable pads that leave an open channel behind your head, and the main foam itself is a different type from your typical helmet EPS - a bit more supple to go along with the outer soft shell . If you're going goggles over, the advantage of the Ledge's traditional hardshell + EPS construction is that it accomodates MIPS.
    FWIW I go goggs under my Ledge with no issues.

Why on earth do you wear your goggles under your helmet? Is it just a style thing? Seems like it'd be uncomfortable, and inconvenient - you can't put your goggles up on your forehead (there are times, like those where you might be using a lighter in the woods, where this comes in handy).

Am I missing something here?

Why on earth do you wear your goggles under your helmet? Is it just a style thing? Seems like it'd be uncomfortable, and inconvenient - you can't put your goggles up on your forehead (there are times, like those where you might be using a lighter in the woods, where this comes in handy).

I’d like to give you some nonsense explanation about the goggles fitting better on my face or something, but it’s 100% for style.

Because if you resort ski in CO you get made fun of if you don't... I wish I was joking more than I am. Pretty dumb, but I do go back and forth b/t over and under depending on what i'm doing. I will say that goggles under is nice for touring because I can take helmet off for the way up and keep the goggles on (if its super windy/cold) and not have to mess around with goggle strap adjustment. That's about the only benefit I find from it. If I'm going to ski something with some consequence I'm definitely inclined to go goggles over.

Personally, I wear my goggle strap over my helmet, because my Smith goggles have a quick release clip on the strap. However, I could see how wearing the strap under the helmet would help keep them on during a big crash. If the strap is on the outside of the helmet and you tomahawk in a crash, you could definitely jettison your goggles.

Goggles under my lid makes my tall-t taller. Steeze factor 10.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    can't confirm

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    Because if you resort ski in CO you get made fun of if you don't... I wish I was joking more than I am. Pretty dumb, but I do go back and forth b/t over and under depending on what i'm doing. I will say that goggles under is nice for touring because I can take helmet off for the way up and keep the goggles on (if its super windy/cold) and not have to mess around with goggle strap adjustment. That's about the only benefit I find from it. If I'm going to ski something with some consequence I'm definitely inclined to go goggles over.
    ColoRADo... le sigh

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I lulzed

I bought a pair as well; figured it was a low cost risk. I was not sold on the magnet attachment but again, not a lot invested if it fails.

I have to say they are good googles. Lenses have not detached (magnets when heavy jarring occurs), no wind penetration and lenses finish has held up well. They work well with my Vantage also.

Are they as good as previous I/Os or the like? Probably not but 90% as good at ~20% the cost. But, no poser points for those label whores.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post

As for fake reviews; I can't honestly say that all the reviews are legit. Fakespot is pretty good, I think in catching them, in general. And in specific - the Chinese off-brand, anon-knock-off goggles I'm using - I'm really happy with. Having looked at numerous reviews, for those, virtually all appear legit.

All I can say is I'm perfectly happy to let people who are convinced the $200 whatever-steeze-brand-they-feel-compelled-to-buy is really worth it, spend their money however they please. But I'm super pleased with my $25 [at least when I bought them] pair, and would be very hard pressed to come up with some detail that would be handled better by a name-brand pair.

I/OX Turbo Asian Fit on Vantage. Really dislike the steezy top gun look... but the dialed windflow and mating surfaces are hard to ignore.

I think the cromopop definitely enhances viewability. Marked difference in contrast. Gave up on the prescription UVEX effort so even a marginal difference is a welcomed gain.

Drift. Currently in a white lid with white straps. How the fluff you can you get the straps clean? Toothbrush and bleach? It would be nice if the could be changed out.
    ​I am not in your hurry