29er Carbon rim recommendations?

Hit a downed tree today and put a big hop on my enve xc29 front wheel. I don't think it's probably fixable, and as the second owner, I'm not holding my breath for a crash replacement.

Any suggestions on a good value carbon rim to build up with my dtswiss 350 hub? Would like to run a 2.3-2.5" tire. This wasn't really in the budget, but I'd like to end up with a good, stiff and strong wheel to pair with the xc29 that is still on the rear.

Anybody have a front wheel or wheelset for sale? If a wheelset, I'm running Shimano cassette with 6 bolt rotor.

Seth

"Value" and "carbon rim" often don't go well together but a riding buddy of mine has been running a pair of Chinese carbon rims he got off eBay and he's surprisingly happy with them.

I'd be surprised if Enve didn't at least offer you a deep discount on a new rim.

My shop has had good luck with these for those opting out of Enve.

https://atomikcarbon.com/29-hookless-trail/

Or how about these...
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/reserve-wheels

We got full wheel sets for our bikes a couple of years ago from Light Bicycles. I liked mine so much that I got a non-Boost Ibis so I could use them again. https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-...-bike-rim/29er

Thanks guys. I'll take a look around at some of these suggestions.

Light Bicycle seems to be more in line with the "value carbon wheel" comment from above.

Seth

I just bought a pair of Easton arc 24s. Come with some wicked good hubs and are almost as light as the Reynolds carbon I was about to buy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using TGR Forums mobile app
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

I've built up a few with Light Bicycle. I have been very pleased.
    This spring on my LB 4 year old 27.5 wheels, 28 hole (which I have never had to put a spoke wrench to ever) I sheared a nipple at the top of a climb. I was very nervous I would destroy the wheel on the downhill so I kinda took it easy. The next day when I went to replace the spoke the rim was so close to true it blew my mind. I only loosened the 2 adjacent spokes, replaced the broken one, and only had to touch those 3 spokes to get a perfectly true wheel again.
    I would put my money on these rims any day.

I too am on the LB band wagon. I got a set of 27.5 x 30mm internal rims from them in Nov 2014. 3 summers of lots of riding later I have broken at total of one spoke (on the rear about a month ago). After replacing the spoke the wheel was retensioned as it was in need of it. But it was dead true prior to spoke breaking. Front remains untouched since built and also true.

You can always check Mercury too. A bit damper than the enves but a good rim and can be had for barely over a grand right now: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...iABEgIaJ_D_BwE

Most LB setups I think end up being 900-1000
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

+1 for LB rims. I have two sets and I am big boy. The back wheels last a bit longer than a good alloy rim for me but much stiffer for guys my size. best bang for the buck for sure.

Heard similar stories on the lb's from the lbs owner who runs them. He has a couple customers that generally put stuff to the test and have had no problems with a couple years on them. LB just had a sale so I picked up a couple 28mm internal ones . LBS laced them up for me and now after a couple months I should take them in to get the tension check done. Hand checking them though and tension feels good. Tubeless seems to seal up better than any of the other rims I've had as well

Thanks guys. Looking at a few wheel sets on pink bike. Specifically an LB rim (30mm) inner laced to hope pro 2 evo hubs. Also the American Classic carbonator. I know very little about either. Any thoughts on either of these two wheelsets?

Lastly, anybody familiar with tandell carbon rims? Looks to be about $180 each. Seems a bit too cheap...

Seth

Seth, aren't you in Missoula? Care to give a heads up on where that tree is?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Kalispell, actually. Its a super mellow single track that I ride at lunch a few days each week. Not sure of the actual name of the trails, but they are in the Happy valley area so I just call them the Happy Valley trails.

On a brighter note, I took off the tire today and it looks like the rim may just be a little out of true. The tire has a big hop in it, but the rim looks okay. Taking it to the LBS for a true and inspection.

Seth

Make sure that the hub will work with the cassette you want. My 1x shimano 9-46 wouldn't work with the Hope 2, but does with the Hope 4. Ask your mechanic first.

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Kalispell, actually. Its a super mellow single track that I ride at lunch a few days each week. Not sure of the actual name of the trails, but they are in the Happy valley area so I just call them the Happy Valley trails.

On a brighter note, I took off the tire today and it looks like the rim may just be a little out of true. The tire has a big hop in it, but the rim looks okay. Taking it to the LBS for a true and inspection.

Seth
    Ah, ok, nevermind then.
    No longer stuck.

Seth, aren't you in Missoula? Care to give a heads up on where that tree is?
    Stuckie was hoping to post Seth's picture of the tree on fakebuch, take credit for riding while sitting at the computer -- as usual. "Hey people, watch out for this tree! Nearly taco'd my wheel!"

Or maybe he was thinking of doing Ride No. 1 for 2017?

Was out of town this weekend but should get wheel back from the LBS tomorrow.

The tire had a big hop in it. Anybody had one that didn't go away after remounting?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Was out of town this weekend but should get wheel back from the LBS tomorrow.

The tire had a big hop in it. Anybody had one that didn't go away after remounting?

Seth
    He dead.

Yeah that tire's toast.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Just mounted it back up. Wheel is true with no signs of damage. Tire was not so lucky. Will ride this week until the replacement arrives.

I've never seen a tire that didn't at least have a small hop in it.
    No longer stuck.

Always great when stuckie admits his hamfisted hackitude. Unseated beads every time!