Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Splitboard binding thread

So looking to complete my split setup for this winter.
    Am new to SB but an experienced rider.
    I got myself a G3 Scapegoat.
    Looking to get either Karakoram Prime Connect or Voilé Speed Rail.
    Thoughts ?

PM media310. He's the authority on split boarding.

I've been looking at the new Union expedition bindings.
    They look pretty damn comfortable! $350 for a pair isn't too bad either.

I prefer to face downhill, but almost everyone I know that splitboards in soft boots is on Spark bindings.

Yeah I got prodeals on Kara and Voile. That's why I'm asking..

hatch not sure about the pin system

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I prefer to face downhill, but almost everyone I know that splitboards in soft boots is on Spark bindings.
    Funny, almost everyone I know who splitboards are switching to skiing after realizing how much better it is for backcountry travel.

Still - I can't ride with my feet on 2 different supports

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Funny, almost everyone I know who splitboards are switching to skiing after realizing how much better it is for backcountry travel.
    Better for skinning and transport, not better for enjoying the way down, especially in variable breakable crust conditions. I’m decent at both but find myself wishing for a board on the down when I’m on skis more often than not.

For the OP. I’ve owned Karakoram for 5 years but am switching to Sparks this year. Mainly because of price and they ice up less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Abad View Post
    Yeah I got prodeals on Kara and Voile. That's why I'm asking..

hatch not sure about the pin system
    Are you nervous about the single pin system Union has? I'm a sucker for all the padding on the base, plus nice burly straps. There's a little more to them then a piece of aluminum and rubber band straps.

I'll pick the snowboard down, every time.

Agreed on all that for the cushioning. I'm just saying, they're behind on the technology vs Karakoram, Spark and Voile who have been doing only split R&D for years...

But mind you, I do ride Union bindings and love them. So I'm also teased by the product

pin systems are so 2010

spark FTW
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by Abad View Post
    Agreed on all that for the cushioning. I'm just saying, they're behind on the technology vs Karakoram, Spark and Voile who have been doing only split R&D for years...

But mind you, I do ride Union bindings and love them. So I'm also teased by the product

Yep, my thoughts as well. It looks like a free heel version of the Atlas, which is an A+ binding.
    For $350 I'm not expecting anything game changing, but I also admittingly have a hard time spending a ton of cash on fucking bindings.
    It's certainly simple, but again, picking up the comfort, I'm intrigued. For my standard day (couple shortish climbs at Berthoud), it be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Yep, my thoughts as well. It looks like a free heel version of the Atlas, which is an A+ binding.
    For $350 I'm not expecting anything game changing, but I also admittingly have a hard time spending a ton of cash on fucking bindings.
    It's certainly simple, but again, picking up the comfort, I'm intrigued. For my standard day (couple shortish climbs at Berthoud), it be just fine.
    Agreed - my problem (which is a nice one to have) is I'm getting either of the ones i was asking about for 200-300.

Does someone have thoughts on the new Speed Rail vs Prime Connect ?

I have ridden the old voile and spark r&d. I really wanted the karakoram, but a shop owner from michigan gave me some solid advice. If a kara brakes, it needs to go back to the factory. if a spark breaks, you need to go to the hardware store. keep your systems as simple as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    game changing
    They kind of are for DIY....no more drilling for ride mode to attach pucks just use the existing inserts for all stance options. Remember the Spark Edison from a few seasons ago...very similar interface, but the Edisons never went into production.

Quote Originally Posted by sharcsplean View Post
    I have ridden the old voile and spark r&d. I really wanted the karakoram, but a shop owner from michigan gave me some solid advice. If a kara brakes, it needs to go back to the factory. if a spark breaks, you need to go to the hardware store. keep your systems as simple as possible.
    Not really true. Most Karakoram parts are replaceable from the hardware store. Karakoram has overnighted replacement parts for me a few times. Only things I've broken (in 5+ years) were a highback and straps. Sparks would need to replace these from the factory too.

I've been on Sparks and Karakorams for many years. Had the first release of Sparks back in the early 2000's. Both are great. I prefer the way that Karakorams ride, more stable less flex, better connection to the board. Sparks are better functionally during changeover. Sliding on instead of pressing down. Less icing issues. However, I'm still faster at changing over my Karakorams if there's no icing.

The Unions look pretty sweet but I predict icing/snow buildup issues because they press directly down then twist. Other systems that do this have had issues. Maybe give em a few years to work out the kinks rather than being a consumer-product-tester.

I'd stay away from Voile. They seem cheaply made.

So basically no one rides Voile.
    Anyone tried the Kara Prime Connect specifically ? Does the quiver Connect thing change anything in terms of feel/flex?

I have original light rails. They've been fine quality wise. Early on Voile replaced the buckles because they discovered a defect in the cam. I never had any issues though but they still gave me free parts unprompted. IME their CS is top notch.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The Unions look pretty sweet but I predict icing/snow buildup issues because they press directly down then twist.
    That was the reason they gave for shelving the Edison.

The pics make the Union look pretty user friendly with minimal parts and minimal gaps to collect snow. I am really liking the simple approach....no heel hardware. I do like my Karakorams for reasons mentioned above, but the more I look at the Unions, the more I like their approach.
    ride interface
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.58.40 AM.png
Views: 852
Size:  171.8 KB
    It's a game changer, so they say?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 9.43.14 AM.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	214294
    Last edited by permnation; 10-22-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: grammar

Union Expedition are not an option for me, they're almost 2x the price ($549 CAD) I'm getting for either Voile or Kara so will go with either.

Has anyone tried the new Voile rail system (vs pin)?
    Also, thoughts on the Voile vs Karakoram crampons? Probably not much difference but who knows

union expedition ride mode

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    This the Unions?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks to everyone. Ended up ordering Voilés. I think better bang/buck. Karas were more than $100 more expensive, for Connects which I think are slightly inferior to Prime SL and such.
    Cheers

Wally actually pulled his head out of his ass with the Speed Rail... well K2 originally designed the baseplate but thats another story... just be mindful not to force the locking tab down if there's any ice or shit in the way cuz it'll bend pretty easy but if you do they'll likely replace them w/o any hassle. Never subscribed to Krakawhoram.