Question Boot Flex Recommendations - 13-yo PNW Freerider

Found a similar thread from last year, but asking again since the skier info and location are different.

My 13-yo son has grown out of another pair of ski boots so we are in the market (again). He weighs ~100-lbs, skies in the PNW, and loves trees, pow, and drops...more of a freerider than a freestyler (not much time in the park). He doesn't race and stays off trail as much as possible, which isn't hard to do most ski days in WA. He gets about 30-days in a year and is easily an advanced skier. He's been in a 25.5 and is moving to a 26.5.

What is the right flex for someone like him? I've been thinking 70 +/- and have been reluctant to go much stiffer. He also likes to do some slackcountry stuff and might start doing some small tours this year as well.

Thoughts?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Look for a boot that you can adjust the flex. Once you go down in "flex" the quality of boot goes down. The liner is cheaper, the buckles and hardware are cheaper.

I'm a fan of Lange with removable bolts on the spine. This slows you to custom adjust the flex. You could get something like a RX 100 and remove the bolts on the spine.
    2 bolts in =100flex
    Top Bolt removed = -%6 or 94 flex
    Bottom Bolt removed = -%12 or 88 flex.
    Both Bolts removed = -%20 or 80 flex.
    This way if his feet stay the same size and he gains some weight and strength you can add some flex strength back to the boot.

If you're looking for cheap, buy my 27 Full Tilts (located near you). Comes with #4, #6, and #10 tongues. They run a bit short for a 27 and you could start with a HV intution and then switch to a lower volume one after he grows a bit. Similarly, start with a #4 tongue and move up to the #6 as he puts on size and strength. Should handle short tours in a frame binder just fine. PM if interested, and I'm sure we could work out a deal.

If you can pay retail, consider taking him to Evo or Sturdavents. Something from the Dalbello Panterra line might suit him well.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Found a similar thread from last year, but asking again since the skier info and location are different.

My 13-yo son has grown out of another pair of ski boots so we are in the market (again). He weighs ~100-lbs, skies in the PNW, and loves trees, pow, and drops...more of a freerider than a freestyler (not much time in the park). He doesn't race and stays off trail as much as possible, which isn't hard to do most ski days in WA. He gets about 30-days in a year and is easily an advanced skier. He's been in a 25.5 and is moving to a 26.5.

What is the right flex for someone like him? I've been thinking 70 +/- and have been reluctant to go much stiffer. He also likes to do some slackcountry stuff and might start doing some small tours this year as well.

Thoughts?
    Take him to Evo and one of the fitters pick some boots for him.

Talk to Oftpiste about boots for ripping teens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

90 +/- 10 for that age, weight, and ability.

....or get the red ones.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

He's right in that 1 year age where matching up size and flex is awkward. Some pretty good options in women's boots at 90-100 flex, but 26.5 is getting a bit large.

Kryptons or full tilts with softer tongues may be the best ticket.

I would've found 100 too stiff when I was 13, but I was a stick figure. I would guess 90-100 for average kids of that age, depending on kid's ability to flex the boot & his preference for how much ankle activity he likes. Cabrio like FT is a good idea IMO. Softer Kryptons too.

A boot that pushes back too much will engrain bad habits. Perpetual tailgun, tough to engage skis front of toes, etc. For a kid with good habits already, a too-stiff boot might make him feel like he doesn't know how to ski ("feels wooden!") and it may even show when watching him. Also, it makes it harder to learn the kinds of absorption necessary for better skiing. IMO it really makes it tough to get forward enough when skiing steep terrain.

Reporting back - Picked up a pair of Lange XC 90’s from Evo. The collective helped me go a tad stiffer than I was thinking, but he can flex them just fine (at least at room temperature) and has noted how much more “responsive” they seem to feel. Anxious to get him out on them soon.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

It's a cool moment when you see your kid go from "these boots are uncomfortable" to "these boots work really well".
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    It's a cool moment when you see your kid go from "these boots are uncomfortable" to "these boots work really well".
    I had that, and now it's "maybe I need new liners, these are packing out".
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I had that, and now it's "maybe I need new liners, these are packing out".
    Indeed. Thing #2 is now in a new pair of free shells every year and worked his way into an Intuition spancerhip. That's one way to solve the problem! Couldn't pay me enough money to swap shells or cook new shit that often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

What about lightly used dalbello rampage? Too stiff? My kid is less than 100lbs and 5'1"

Probably grabbing some used tecnica the agent, 65 flex, for the kid.

What size? I’m holding Diablo 70 in a 21.5
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

25- ish. Hopefully, we're good. Thx!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app