Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    In its prime (seasons 2-10ish) Simpsons was the smartest, funniest show ever. The last 15 years or so of sub par Simpsons brings in down a bit.

On the other hand Seinfeld, despite obviously different writers during certain chunks, was consistently hilarious for all 9 (?) seasons.

Tough call.

Simpsons is the longest running prime time TV comedy of all time. By FAR
    /thread

Define far. Southpark isn't that far behind.

Yeah, but South Park is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Define far. Southpark isn't that far behind.
    Simpsons: 29 seasons, 619 epsisodes
    South Park: 21 seasons, 282 episodes

I'd say thats pretty fucking far
    If you wanted to argue which show has stayed relevant longer, as far as social/political/societal satire, you could make a strong case for South Park. But just on sheer numbers, it ain't even close

Heh, just realized your login is a Simpsons reference. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Simpsons: 29 seasons, 619 epsisodes
    South Park: 21 seasons, 282 episodes

I'd say thats pretty fucking far
    If you wanted to argue which show has stayed relevant longer, as far as social/political/societal satire, you could make a strong case for South Park. But just on sheer numbers, it ain't even close
    Dude, simpsons start in 89. Southpark in 97. They can't go back in time to catch up on episodes, but they could easily been on the air a long time after the Simpson's retires. There's no way to know. But it's not a slam dunk and to say the simpsons run is stronger is delusional.

Bro, my only contention was that the Simpsons is, by far, the longest running prime time TV show ever. Which it indisputably is. The numbers back it up

Talking about what MAY happen in the future, is delusional. We're talking about what HAS happened. Which is, the Simpsons has been on the air 8 years longer and more than double the episodes of South Park. Not talking about what may - or may not -happen in the future - the Simpsons run IS stronger, period.

The point doofus is they both have had incredibly long runs. The eight year delta is hardly enough to somehow prove the Simpsons is better - which was the point you were trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    Seinfeld over simpsons mostly because simpsons is computer generated
    Computer generated? No. It's written by US writers, voiced by US voice actors and drawn by Koreans from templates drawn by Americans. My brother has been getting paid by them for well over 20 years, he's not a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    In its prime (seasons 2-10ish) Simpsons was the smartest, funniest show ever. The last 15 years or so of sub par Simpsons brings in down a bit.
    It's been up and down over the past ~15 years, depending on who's on the writing staff and who the producers are mainly. Now's a good period, imo.

There was some controversy over the Korean animation a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The point doofus is they both have had incredibly long runs. The eight year delta is hardly enough to somehow prove the Simpsons is better - which was the point you were trying to make.
    No, moron, the point I was trying to make was; you can argue which show is better till the cows come home. Which one was smarter, which one was funnier, whatever. At the end of the day, theyre both great shows and you're spiltting hairs - and its all subjective, you like this one, I like that one. The only OBJECTIVE thing you can measure (you know what that word means?) is, how long they've been on the air. 8 years is an eternity for TV shows.

Add in the fact that animated prime time shows were unheard of till the Simpsons. that means something as well. Simpsons paved the way for shows like Family Guy, South Park, etc. to even exist.

In brief, longer is longer.

Here's another objective thing to compare. Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program
    Simpsons: 37 nominations 12 wins
    South Park: 18 nominations 5 wins

might have to take your shoes off to do the math on that one bud

Get em, Joe!

Add in the fact that animated prime time shows were unheard of till the Simpsons. that means something as well. Simpsons paved the way for shows like Family Guy, South Park, etc. to even exist.
    Well, since the 60s anyway- there used to be some including the Flintstones & Jetsons- but true that the Simpons made these other current prime time cartoons possible by resurrecting the idea. I'd still rather watch Seinfeld, but I'm just not big on cartoons no matter how good they are. The relative influence of each makes a decent topic for discussion even if which is "better" does not. That's a tough one though, plenty to say about influence of Seinfeld as well- but they are both usually listed in the top 5 so flip a coin- e.g. https://screenrant.com/best-influent...-shows-series/

Is Seinfeld available on any of the streaming services? I have’nt watched it in years.

No, moron, the point I was trying to make was; you can argue which show is better till the cows come home. Which one was smarter, which one was funnier, whatever. At the end of the day, theyre both great shows and you're spiltting hairs - and its all subjective, you like this one, I like that one. The only OBJECTIVE thing you can measure (you know what that word means?) is, how long they've been on the air. 8 years is an eternity for TV shows.

The point you were trying to make was stronger run. Not longer. Not the same thing. And obviously Simpsons paved the way and I even prefer it, but at this point I'll agree it's splitting hairs. I just don't think w the Simpsons unevenness compared to SP that it has had a measurably "stronger" run. SP has been equally groundbreaking in other ways

South Park is sooooooooooooooooooo bad. Like unwatchable.