Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

PRAXIS JUNKIES WHAT MODELS DO YOU OWN

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    -184 Heavy Veneer Piste Jibs
    Let me know if you’re ever looking to get rid of these. Can’t see why you would, though. Curious what flex you went with?

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post

...I really want a pair of Powderboards
    They’re stupid fun in the right conditions. I also don’t find them all that difficult to navigate variable with, but they were like the 7th reverse camber ski I’d been on by the time I got my pair so of course ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Let me know if you’re ever looking to get rid of these. Can’t see why you would, though. Curious what flex you went with?

They’re stupid fun in the right conditions. I also don’t find them all that difficult to navigate variable with, but they were like the 7th reverse camber ski I’d been on by the time I got my pair so of course ymmv
    3 Flex. They have the stock ones with heavy hitter core right now for $550, pretty hard to beat that.

IMO the protests are pretty much every bit as good as Powderboards in pow, but a lot more manageable/less painful on groomers and cat tracks, especially bumped out ones.

Nice, I love the way it skis in a 3 flex. Damn, that’s tempting..

Still never skied Protests. Really want to get on a pair of the old reverse camber sets. Has anyone A/Bed the two?

Wanted to add also that the Powboards ski crust / upside down snow / wind effect like it’s not even there. Would be curious to know if the various protests do the same.

Still never skied Protests. Really want to get on a pair of the old reverse camber sets. Has anyone A/Bed the two?

Wanted to add also that the Powboards ski crust / upside down snow / wind effect like it’s not even there. Would be curious to know if the various protests do the same.
    So I skied pow boards and current protest. Protests are just as good except better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have older PB's(195's).
    Brother had 196 1st year tattoo graphic Protests(1st year of shape change)
    PB's FTMFW!

Jah, my hang up as well, can’t justify Powboards as long as I have my Protests, but damn they do look fun! Really like the looks of that convex base as well.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

That they do, that they do....

Jah, my hang up as well, can’t justify Powboards as long as I have my Protests, but damn they do look fun! Really like the looks of that convex base as well.
    Look for PB's on the cheep. No justification necessary

So far just 192 veneer Protests in a 3 flex. Super impressed with them, and tempted to pick up a 187 Quixote in the current sale.

189 Rx - heavy hitter core, 5 flex
    192 Protest - enduro 4
    196 Protest - enduro 4
    191 PM Gear Lhasa Redux - enduro 4/5

Thinking of parting with 196 Protests.
    Piste Jibs are likely next purchase.
    Last edited by lucknau; 09-29-2019 at 03:05 PM.

That Lhasa setup.... Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I have older PB's(195's).
    Brother had 196 1st year tattoo graphic Protests(1st year of shape change)
    PB's FTMFW!
    195 PB's w/ sun graphic
    188 proto Protest, aka Hybrids.
    PB's had hammerheads from my last ski life.
    Both now await demo bindings

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    192 Protest - enduro 4
    196 Protest - enduro 4

That 192 graphic is badass

That Lhasa setup.... Perfection
    I stare at them a lot. Sometimes I have to remember to look where I go, so I can go where I look.

That 192 graphic is badass
    Yeah, but every time I look at them I end up having to claw my way back from another dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    192 Protest - enduro 4
    196 Protest - enduro 4

Only sell Protests for different, better Protests. Mine are enduro 4 veneer, and I will admit I might like them a tad better if they were enduro 3 veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Only sell Protests for different, better Protests. Mine are enduro 4 veneer, and I will admit I might like them a tad better if they were enduro 3 veneer.

You’re a big dude right? I’m not that big and I think the 4 flex makes that ski really shine. Only have my stock 188’s to compare to though.

I have a couple models in a 3+ (was trying to skim weight for touring and have funner park/family skis) and I’m positive I wouldn’t like a softer Protest, mine are 4 and I am 200ish lbs but i seriously doubt that would change if I was significantly lighter, I just don’t dig soft pow skis, but YMMV

Have 192 protest map 3 veneer and getting 187 wootest 2.0 and OG wootest 196. Also GPO with a lot of holes

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

195 PB's w/ sun graphic
    188 proto Protest, aka Hybrids.
    PB's had hammerheads from my last ski life.
    Both now await demo bindings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190930_173004.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	970.6 KB 
ID:	295928

Name:	IMG_20190930_173135.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	932.7 KB 
ID:	295929

187 GPO - 4 flex with carbon, veneer
    191 Lhasa fat - 4/5 flex, enduro, carbon, veneer

Currently:

• 182 GPO - MAP (Enduro) / Carbon / Nylon top / #4 - mounted for touring. The only thing I'd replace it with is possibly a UL/Veneer version ... or perhaps a Down CD 114L, or Moment Wildcat Tour (?)
    • 187 GPO - Enduro / Veneer / #4 - got it this Fall, so no feedback on it yet. It will be interesting to see how the longer turn radius (24 vs. 22), subtracting carbon & adding veneer changes the ski.
    • 173 EXP Veneer /#3 - a fun ski. The big surprise is how well it handles sloppy Spring snow. It arcs nice turns in tight spots on harder snow. It's an overlooked ski IMHO. I've never skied a Zero G-85, but I have no temptation to try one after being on this ski.

Previously owned:

• 184 Freeride - Heavy Hitter / #4 / Veneer. This ski whupped my ass and I'm not too proud to say so.
    • 182 Q - Enduro / Carbon / Veneer / #4 - Alpy said it best ... the ski is "mental". 95% of the time it was great. The other 5% ... I had my "Tabke moments".
    • 187 Protest (unknown specs) - exactly the opposite experience that all of the lovers of this ski report ... people who usually like the same skis as I do. If I wanted to ski in the snow, I'd pull out some 75mm underfoot skis

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-04-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    [*]182 Q - Enduro / Carbon / Veneer / #4 - Alpy said it best ... the ski is "mental". 95% of the time it was great. The other 5% ... I had my "Tabke moments".
    Please, tell me more...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Please, tell me more...
    Keep in mind that mine is a minority opinion.

Anytime you're on hard snow, you have to have a centered stance, otherwise, the inside ski gets squirrelly. I had trouble figuring this out until @Powtron clued me into it at an ON3P demo.

Once I figured it out, I generally liked them (although I prefer to drive my skis a bit more from the front). As has been written, they're a bit more directional than GPOs.

In soft snow, they pivot on a dime. You can shut them down in a hurry if you get into trouble and they plow through crud a bit better than my GPOs (is the veneer the difference?).

I can't make a full apples to apples comparison with my GPOs because my GPOs don't have a veneer top, but comments about them skiing a bit longer than GPOs seems right to me (I really want to get on my new to me, 187 GPOs).

Oddly, I found that in 3D snow, I could initiate a turn with the Qs by using an edging/steering technique as well as normal powder technique. This was useful in less steep, heavily treed terrain while getting up to speed.

What's not to like?

I was skiing two whiteout days in succession last January - maybe 5" over crust.

My balance is terrible in these conditions and as soon as I got off center, the squirrelly behavior ensued - this, while also trying to recover my balance.

I went down and picked up my Down CD 114s and life was good again. The whiteout still sucked, but when I was thrown off, recovery was much quicker.

I repeated the experiment the following day with the same results. I didn't have my GPOs on that trip.

Not having broad experience as many here, GPOs and the CD 114s are more intuitive for me.

I think that folks who bond with the Qs tend to have a more centered/upright stance. Watch how Tabke stands on his skis.

The "Tabke moment" was a reference to his phenomenal run at the FWT ... until the very bottom where he caught an edge in terrain that even I would call easy.

Again ... my opinion about these skis is a minority one. What they do well, they do amazingly so. I made the choice to give that up for a bit more predictability.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thom's description sounds generally right to me. My comments with my Qs would be I found that they could pull hard GS carves well on hardpack without being squirrely. Generally speaking I think I actually ski with a more centered stance on hardpack, and forward in deeper snow and pow, which is perhaps why I jive so well with my Lhasa Pow Fats (pintail) and that my Qs are my favorite resort ski ever.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Keep in mind that mine is a minority opinion.

Anytime you're on hard snow, you have to have a centered stance, otherwise, the inside ski gets squirrelly. I had trouble figuring this out until @Powtron clued me into it at an ON3P demo.

Once I figured it out, I generally liked them (although I prefer to drive my skis a bit more from the front). As has been written, they're a bit more directional than GPOs.

In soft snow, they pivot on a dime. You can shut them down in a hurry if you get into trouble and they plow through crud a bit better than my GPOs (is the veneer the difference?).

I can't make a full apples to apples comparison with my GPOs because my GPOs don't have a veneer top, but comments about them skiing a bit longer than GPOs seems right to me (I really want to get on my new to me, 187 GPOs).

Oddly, I found that in 3D snow, I could initiate a turn with the Qs by using an edging/steering technique as well as normal powder technique.

What's not to like?

I was skiing two whiteout days in succession last January - maybe 5" over crust.

My balance is terrible in these conditions and as soon as I got off center, the squirrelly behavior ensued - this, while also trying to recover my balance.

I went down and picked up my Down CD 114s and life was good again. The whiteout still sucked, but when I was thrown off, recovery was much quicker.

I repeated the experiment the following day with the same results. I didn't have my GPOs on that trip.

Not having broad experience as many here, GPOs and the CD 114s are more intuitive for me.

I think that folks who bond with the Qs tend to have a more centered/upright stance. Watch how Tabke stands on his skis.

The "Tabke moment" was a reference to his phenomenal run at the FWT ... until the very bottom where he caught an edge in terrain that even I would call easy.

Again ... my opinion about these skis is a minority one.

... Thom
    You may not have as much of a minority opinion as you think. I pretty much second everything you say about the Qs. I did notice on groomers that I could drive the front of the ski a bit, just had to remember the front is where the uphill inside edge contacts the snow, not the downhill inside edge, so 10ish cm back from where you think.

I had an awesome 5 days in Steamboat on the Qs, everything from no snow to over head blower. I grabbed them at home to ski in Granite and had a Tabke moment, blew up, a ski came off, and I was pissed. 95% awesome, 5% going to kill me. I did start a discussion with Keith about building a pair of flat/rocker Qs, because I feel like that would keep the tips from ever catching and maybe remove the 5% kill you. Just a thought in my head.

I’ve got the following Praxis for now. The Praxis wishlist is pretty short and specific, maybe once we learn the new Praxis plan I’ll try to order them.

Name:	IMG_3056.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	296425

Left:
    Praxis Super Freerides - 195cm, +10mm build, enduro core with carbon, 4 flex, Max top sheet on cherry veneer

Right:
    Praxis Protest - 196cm, enduro core with carbon, 4 flex, Tsunami top sheet on white oak

Wish list:
    200cm Praxis Powboards
    194cm Praxis Quixote’s built fully rocker/flat