Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 302
  1. #276
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If you like an instep buckle to keep your heel back while touring, your options for a long time were pretty much Maestrale RS or Vulcan. Recently there's been others (Lupo TI and now Full Tilt's offering for next season), but they're a bit heavier.
    Just across that Phantom Splitboard Bindings does a mod kit for TLT6 that both replaces the cuff pivot and relocates the lower buckle to the cuff pivot. Same price as B&D's cuff pivot replace, plus it's the relocation of the buckle. Thinking of doing that + doing another forefoot buckle kinda like the Vulcan. It'd help out my high instep problem as well.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    ...or if Dynafit allows the uncompromised expression of those ideas, is open to debate.
    this

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,052
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Well, the Vulcan was an awesome boot, and still isn't terrible compared to the competition. Of course, Dynafit made no improvements for 5 years, but the Vulcan was pretty ahead of its time when it first came out.

    Re hype: I think we all wanted to see what was possible for Vulcan 2.0, especially if Hoji was given more design choices. Like you said, he's an amazing skier who likes to tinker with his boots, and he's also one of the first skiers to adopt tech binders for filming and in consequential terrain.

    If you like an instep buckle to keep your heel back while touring, your options for a long time were pretty much Maestrale RS or Vulcan. Recently there's been others (Lupo TI and now Full Tilt's offering for next season), but they're a bit heavier.
    I think Dynafit got the Vulcan SO right entirely by accident, one of them yurpean guys ( Fede ?) said it was not well thot of over there, the vertical may have been an accident too

    The tri step toe, the exploding rad heel piece, the Khion, the beast ... all dogs

    There is no way EH had carte blanche to design that boot,

    What he did get was some work
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    861
    They had a great PR plan: lots of access given to a high-profile pro skier, people being given a chance to ski “protos,” a swanky event or two, they knew Lou would jizz all over (WS did like 4 stories on it), so that covered the ski media side. On the real people side, the Vulcan is a legendary boot that’s still one of the best many years later. A 2.0 with meaningful upgrades would have been a massive hit, so lots of interest. There’s also Hoji’s rep, as stated earlier, for coming up with interesting shit, and the fact that many of us are pro hos, though we won’t admit it: “if it works for EH, it must be awesome.”

    The defensiveness and excuses around this boot are funny. It’s flaws are either not Hoji’s fault (shark nose/crampon bullshit, huge last, softness) or made to sound intentional (if you have an instep buckle, the forefoot fit can be huge, or this gem from Lou: “Thing is, most people with narrower feet, so long as they’re not super narrow, can easily get a fit with this sort of last by doing some simple boot fitting that’s a lot easier than blowing out a narrow last for wider feet.”).

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    10,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    ...., or this gem from Lou: “Thing is, most people with narrower feet, so long as they’re not super narrow, can easily get a fit with this sort of last by doing some simple boot fitting that’s a lot easier than blowing out a narrow last for wider feet.”).
    I caught that. Seemed apposite to everything I've been taught

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,041
    ^^^ agreed ^^^ that apologist comment by Lou cracked me up when I read it.

    Next, we'll be breaking out the ragg socks ;-)

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,267
    If it's too big just put two socks on.

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    3,636
    Fit, flex, and other issues aside, didn’t Lou spend the last two seasons bashing some other ~1500g boots from less traditionally touring brands for being too heavy for REAL touring, yet here we are. It says Dynafit and got him an expensed trip to Europe and its ‘feels light on the up’

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Fit, flex, and other issues aside, didn’t Lou spend the last two seasons bashing some other ~1500g boots from less traditionally touring brands for being too heavy for REAL touring, yet here we are. It says Dynafit and got him an expensed trip to Europe and its ‘feels light on the up’
    Was gonna say the same thing. By a few accounts, the Hoji Pro seems to walk better than some other boots in the category, but that doesn't make it lighter.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    www.instagram.com/auvgeek/

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    16,010
    Lou = lost and biased
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,052
    next he will be reviewing 2 piece adjustable ski poles!
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-11-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  12. #287
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    next he will be reviewing 2 adjustable ski poles!
    lol
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

  13. #288
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    134
    In Europe I suspect that Dynafit shifts a much higher number of boots through chain stores like Intersport than it does through specialist shops. Consequently I suspect that most Dynafit boots are sold by retailers that don't have the ability / inclination to punch shells.

    I think that from a long term consumer satisfaction point of view they would be better solving that problem by going down the Atomic route of using a 98mm last and Memoryfit Grilamid, but given that they have not (maybe they can't?) the wide last and instep strap makes sense from an economic point of view.

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Just talked to Dynafit North America -

    The HOJI boot does NOT work with kingpin.

    The boot really is fantastic besides the compatibility, I kind of like the toe but not working with Kingpin is a killer for me.

    Anyone interested in a Limited Edition pair of Hoji boots in 28.0 New, Never skied. PM me.

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,052
    https://14erskiers.com/blog/2018/02/...shift-binding/

    " Keep in mind that the Shift will only work with boots that have a traditional toe and heel. So, as one example, 2018’s worst piece of AT ski gear, the Dynafit Hoji boot with the ridiculous speed nose, won’t work "

    apparently the Hoji ^^ won't work with the Shift either

    Talk about calling a spade a fucking avalanche shovel, I don't think buddy will be invited to Dy
    nfit HQ for strudel and wiesswurst
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    In Europe I suspect that Dynafit shifts a much higher number of boots through chain stores like Intersport than it does through specialist shops. Consequently I suspect that most Dynafit boots are sold by retailers that don't have the ability / inclination to punch shells.
    This is actually an issue in Europe. Listen to the Blister Gear:30 podcast when they are talking to the global product manager of Atomic boots. He says the ease of entry and non custom boot fitting culture in Europe really does effect boot purchases to a large extent. Even people expecting a 130 flex alpine boot to be easy to get in to...
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  17. #292
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    16,010
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://14erskiers.com/blog/2018/02/...shift-binding/

    " Keep in mind that the Shift will only work with boots that have a traditional toe and heel. So, as one example, 2018’s worst piece of AT ski gear, the Dynafit Hoji boot with the ridiculous speed nose, won’t work "

    apparently the Hoji ^^ won't work with the Shift either

    Talk about calling a spade a fucking avalanche shovel, I don't think buddy will be invited to Dy
    nfit HQ for strudel and wiesswurst
    Frank nailed it though
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,052
    Frank shouldn't sweat it, IME weisswurst will give you indigestion anyway

    and the truth will set you free eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Frank shouldn't sweat it, IME weisswurst will give you indigestion anyway

    and the truth will set you free eh?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Evelyn Beatrice Hall

    Indiscriminate use of freedom of speech doesn't absolve one from the social consequence of telling us all how your really feel, XXX'er.

    Also, premptive gut loading of acid reducer pills mitigates the Weisswurst induced indigestion potential.
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

  20. #295
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whistler
    Posts
    677
    This boot it dumb. /thread

  21. #296
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Chpfly View Post
    Just talked to Dynafit North America -

    The HOJI boot does NOT work with kingpin.

    The boot really is fantastic besides the compatibility, I kind of like the toe but not working with Kingpin is a killer for me.
    .
    wait. NO boots work with the Kingpin, right?

    Unless you count being held together by hose clamps, duct tape and bailing wire after a kingpin toe pin shears off "working"

    "not working with Kingpin is a killer for me"??? fucking hilarious.

    i'd say that working with a kingpin is killer for someone, soon.
    literally.

    Maybe you should be happy?

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Schruns
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    wait. NO boots work with the Kingpin, right?

    Unless you count being held together by hose clamps, duct tape and bailing wire after a kingpin toe pin shears off "working"

    "not working with Kingpin is a killer for me"??? fucking hilarious.

    i'd say that working with a kingpin is killer for someone, soon.
    literally.

    Maybe you should be happy?
    We'll just file this in the biased category.

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,267
    Maybe I should invest in a punch set and a wagon in Europe. Punch boots and caRV around eu. Ultimate opportunity?

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Maybe I should invest in a punch set and a wagon in Europe. Punch boots and caRV around eu. Ultimate opportunity?
    gregL and I have talked about it.

  25. #300
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,267
    Maybe heel hold is not that critical on light touring setups compared to a heavy resort setup. With the skis being light a bit of slack might not be that pronounced. Still punching boots is the shit, and I would never go back to getting comfortable boots or of the box with my tiny heels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •