Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
    This is modded one, all the white thread stitching is mine.
    Originally elastic band was 5cm lower and about inch shorter with folded half inch synthetic strap edge trims underneath it (on bootie and the tongue edges).

Only foam, lining and threads now.

Still do not get the idea of heat moldable AND velcroed tongue?
    Putting two velcro layers + hard plastic baseplate + etc in one of the most sensitive areas ... over 1mm of foam.

pretty neat job of sewing, i tried to sew lace loops on the Vulcan liner but they came out and a pwrwrap just worked way better for me

Vulcan and Hoji liners would have been much better served with a lace-up system

on the vulcan liner there was 3mm of naugahyde & elastic right on top of the medial cuneform/ metatarsels that one could cut off in about 3 minutes with a razor blade, which is probably why so many people had issues with mercury Vulcan, I'm not foot guy its just so easy to look this stuff up

but between various liner FUBARs, putting the speed nose on a freeride boot who knows wtf Dynafit thinks ?

thank dog they got the Vulcan so right inspite of themselves
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just received my Hoji Free 110s. I'd shop tested the Free 120s, so knew the fit of the 28.5s was going to work, acceptably roomy around the toes, nice low instep, and reasonably low volume around the ankle. Rear support is solid, forward lean is perfect, and the quality and range of the forward flex seems promising. The unmolded Sidas liners don't take up enough volume around my heel/ankle/chicken legs, so I swapped (without remolding) in the Intuition Alpine Wraps I've been using for years in my Dynafit Mercuries, which feels great. I'll obviously have to test em out, but it seems possible I'll be able to go from walk to ski mode using only the rear mode change lever (without adjusting the buckles). The only oddity I've found so far is the unusually high calf volume - even when using the Intuition Wrap liners, and punching out the optional extra top buckle attachment hole, I'm at one notch from the absolute limit of calf closure. I do have skinny legs, but in 30 years of touring (and 9 different boots) this is an outlier.

^ What do you think of them in comparison to the Mercuries? Fit? Flex (albiet, I assume it's only carpet testing at this moment... or is it?)
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    ^ What do you think of them in comparison to the Mercuries? Fit? Flex (albiet, I assume it's only carpet testing at this moment... or is it?)
    Yes, haven’t got em on snow yet. Similar fit, but with a roomier toe box, and slightly more substantial in all respects, but I’ll update once I start skiing. 5cm in my yard today.

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    Any one else have the heel inserts on their Hoji boots develop play?

I have about 30 days on my Hoji free boots and the masterstep heel inserts have developed some slop and are able to wiggle side to side a slight amount. I'm not worried about the insert pulling out because of the vertical screw anchoring it in but I can definitely feel the slight movement when clicked into tech bindings. This new heel insert design seems to allow the metal insert to rotate at the screw under lateral force eventually wearing the plastic around the insert. This was never a problem with the old inserts since the screw pulled the insert snug into the heel of the boot and lateral forces could be transferred more directly.

I considered warrantying this, but figured I would just end up with a replacement pair of boots that would eventually have the same problem. So I decided to remove the insert, add some epoxy to the holes and then reinstall. Hopefully this solves the issue.
    Nope. I have been on mine about 45 days and no play. Even after a couple high speed crashes. Boots are bombproof. So much so, I bought the Free’s to use with my guardians.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    After just a couple of days grovelling about in super early season conditions. Comparable fit (in the same intuition wrap liners) around the ankle, lots more room (all positive) around the toes, and much stiffer forward flex. Hard to tell given the mellow turns I was making, but could be comparable in forward flex and rear support to my beloved OG Raichle/Full Tilts. I’ll keep my SLabXAlps for long walks, but these should work well for charging powder laps and 50:50 use.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just received my Hoji Free 110s. I'd shop tested the Free 120s, so knew the fit of the 28.5s was going to work, acceptably roomy around the toes, nice low instep, and reasonably low volume around the ankle. Rear support is solid, forward lean is perfect, and the quality and range of the forward flex seems promising. The unmolded Sidas liners don't take up enough volume around my heel/ankle/chicken legs, so I swapped (without remolding) in the Intuition Alpine Wraps I've been using for years in my Dynafit Mercuries, which feels great. I'll obviously have to test em out, but it seems possible I'll be able to go from walk to ski mode using only the rear mode change lever (without adjusting the buckles). The only oddity I've found so far is the unusually high calf volume - even when using the Intuition Wrap liners, and punching out the optional extra top buckle attachment hole, I'm at one notch from the absolute limit of calf closure. I do have skinny legs, but in 30 years of touring (and 9 different boots) this is an outlier.
    interesting ^^ also a Mercury/Vulcan fanboi, so last week I tried on a 110 in a size 24,

I notice they are calling it a unisex boot instead of making a stupid fucking color and calling it a womans model

i think this shell would work for me but I have doubts about the stock liner, all that velcro and crap where the tongue attaches to the liner probably wouldnt work for my high instep so i did wonder about using a pwrwrap
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anyone here replaced stock liner in Tour Pro with Intuition? With stock uncooked liners the fit is good tight around ankle, but painfully tight over instep and mid foot. Intuition is Pro-Tour LV and has nice fit on the loose side. Would cooking expand it a bit and fill those gaps? Or cooking the stock liner would make it more fitted? Or should I exchange LV for MV or even HV?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dozen days on Hoji freetour 130

first couple days were painful. 12 days in boots don't get better then this. The buckle system is amazing, lounge slippers to shred mode. At first thought the stiffness was to much, day 12 they have broken down considerably and I don't even feel the stiffness anymore. If your like me I like them soft. Stay balanced on your sticks and you don't need the pain train! Highly recommended!! This is my new daily boot, 1 boot quiver!

Just curious if anyone has beefed up the forward flex on their Hoji Pro Tours or Frees by adding a Mercury/Vulcan external tongue? Carpet testing reveals quite a noticeable increase in stiffness.

The forward lower boot buckle seems to lock the tongue quite well and the instep buckle really anchors it down in the fold of the ankle area. Lookin' forward to A/B comparison, on slope testing soon.

Name:  P1130680.JPG
Views: 1661
Size:  118.6 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 12-07-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Can anyone in the Hoji pro tour comment on the ankle fit? I’m a pronater so wondering if that’s an issue with the pro tour that they remedied when building the free.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Just curious if anyone has beefed up the forward flex on their Hoji Pro Tours or Frees by adding a Mercury/Vulcan external tongue? Carpet testing reveals quite a noticeable increase in stiffness.

The forward lower boot buckle seems to lock the tongue quite well and the instep buckle really anchors it down in the fold of the ankle area. Lookin' forward to A/B comparison, on slope testing soon.

Name:  P1130680.JPG
Views: 1661
Size:  118.6 KB
    have you gotten to put this to the test on snow yet? what were your findings?
    swing your fucking sword.

just got my new tours today and foresee a strong relationship with my feet. no major issues with instep as others have noted, but...HOLY SHIT MY CALVES! i can barely get the buckle on the first rung. anyone else had this issue?

also couldn't fit my calves in with a power wrap in place of the shitty dyna liner.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    just got my new tours today and foresee a strong relationship with my feet. no major issues with instep as others have noted, but...HOLY SHIT MY CALVES! i can barely get the buckle on the first rung. anyone else had this issue?
    Cankles? Mine fit fine with the Intuition Tour Wrap. If anything, I have Rey much considered adding the spoiler from the free to this boot but am not ready to commit to major boot surgery.

My instep issue is minor after 30-40 days on the boot. My feet probably realigned to this super non-ergonomic setup.

I did pick up the salewa cramp-ins for these boots and can tell you a boot shop doesn’t need to do the work. It takes cutting a tiny piece of rubber off and matching the diameter of the inserts to a drill bit. From there, you add the threaded dual nut (plate with two threaded receivers) to the inside of the boot. Match the hook plate to the bottom of the boot and screw in the inserts. Recommendations for lock-tite abound, you will probably want these babies to stay connected forever as the work is not easily reversed. No one wants to get to the bottom if their climb to find the screws worked loose and the cramp-in is now worthless.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    have you gotten to put this to the test on snow yet? what were your findings?
    Did a few runs with the tongues and the boots were way too stiff. Also tried the tongues on my current pair of Hoji Free 110's and also found they stiffened the boots excessively. Good to know the tongue option works though...there may be some scenarios where it'll come in handy...like skiing variable crusty crap with an overnight pack, etc...
    Master of mediocrity.

For anyone interested in the forward lean adjustment on the Frees, don't bother. I ripped the spoiler out of mine and doing so provides little to no difference. The cuff on these things is pretty forward via the walk mechanism for some / me and the way the spoiler sits in the cuff, it doesn't really push you forward as much as it takes up volume and fills a void in the shell. Removing the spoiler for me only made the cuff fit sloppy and these boots are still super forward. This is obviously different for everyone but I'm pretty bummed Dynafit markets these as adjustable between 11 and 17 degrees. The spoiler removal doesn't get you anywhere close to 11. I've got a creaky ankle that was broken many years ago and the stance of these boots pretty much puts it at the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    For anyone interested in the forward lean adjustment on the Frees, don't bother. I ripped the spoiler out of mine and doing so provides little to no difference. The cuff on these things is pretty forward via the walk mechanism for some / me and the way the spoiler sits in the cuff, it doesn't really push you forward as much as it takes up volume and fills a void in the shell. Removing the spoiler for me only made the cuff fit sloppy and these boots are still super forward. This is obviously different for everyone but I'm pretty bummed Dynafit markets these as adjustable between 11 and 17 degrees. The spoiler removal doesn't get you anywhere close to 11. I've got a creaky ankle that was broken many years ago and the stance of these boots pretty much puts it at the limit.
    I’m at the other end of the spectrum, finding my Hoji Free 110’s at the upright limit of what I can tolerate. FWIW, I tried them with Intuition wrap liners which made them too upright for me, but might help you.

Quick question on sizing as I found a pr online and trying on isn't much of an option - I'm a Scarpa 25.5/26.0 in my current Maestrale XTs. How does the Hoji Free sizing stack up?

Would I go for a 26/26.5 or 25/25.5? I know Scarpa is bit different with their shell sizes. Typically wear a US 9-9.5

Bootfitter told me that hoji is more true to size while scarpa I size down for, which it sounds like you did, so probably a half size up from what your at in scarpa.

If the maesrale fit you well, you’ll probably find the hoji doesn’t. The last are very different, and the space around the ankle. Hoji is more narrow and made more for a low volume foot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quick question:

Can I cut off the plastic parts of the stock liner that overlap the tongue, or will this cause the boot to feel softer? Not sure what it is there for, but thinking it could theoretically contribute to the stiffness of the boot.