Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If the pins were in the binding when you clicked in the spring pressure would hold them in the arms, its when you click out that you might lose one but in any case it was not "stupid engineering"
    Of course, you're right. I look at the Vipec as good engineering with unintended consequences raising it's ugly head (people adjusting and not using loc-tite - I've seen black diamonds comment, below).

I never intended to equate the Vipec with my understanding of the Salomon boot's
    design flaws.

The Kingpin failure mode was surprising when you consider how long their fabricator (DMM) has been pressing pins into carabiners. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during the discussions between DMM and Marker.

Testing. What's that old line about software - design idiot proof software and the perfect idiot will foil it.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    And the first Kingpins. But the Vipec issue was, if I recall, one of Fritschi overestimating people's capacity to correctly follow a overly complicated and delicate mounting and adjusting process. And the Kingpin pins fell out because the manufacturing process differed slightly from the way prototypes had been constructed. These are examples of poor judgement, shortsightedness or a lack of thorough real world testing. This sort of problem is pretty common (the F1 EVO walk-mode was similar) although not always as dangerous as having a tow pin fall out. But the Quest inserts were held on by glue.

Glue. That is a different level of fuck up. That is lazy. It shows a profound indifference to safety.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    The toe/ heel ledge is a completely new mold since those thicker sections really require a bit of re-engineering in the molds to make sure everything is flowing and cooling at the right rates. Little bit more than just grinding out the molds to add more length. Don't think you'll see those on this boot. MAYBE we'll get them on a future beef version
    I'll bet they're still in pre-production mode with a mold for only one shell size, so who knows what they'll decide.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'll bet they're still in pre-production mode with a mold for only one shell size, so who knows what they'll decide.

... Thom
    Let's bring out the pitchforks until the toe welt is back.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Let's bring out the pitchforks until the toe welt is back.
    probably not going to happen as the majority of the market (ie most of europe and a bit of the US) doesn't care :/
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Agreed. They should have just taken the Vulcan, gave it a good liner and dropped the price.

Or kept it at $1000 and added the cool lock lever in addition to a better liner.

If this boot was a Vulcan 2.0 I'd probably buy it. But instead it's just a complex tlt7.
    I’m always dreading the day my Vulcans die. They’re first year and out of the box fit me better than any other boot ever.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Because it was caught in a preproduction run with limited distribution to test out before making it avalible to the masses or because this website was used as a soap box?
    maybe cause our friend, a salt of the earth maggot, almost lost his leg?
    you gonna get down with gunder suck some soli slong and suggest the way that went down wasn't fucked beyond belief?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I’m always dreading the day my Vulcans die. They’re first year and out of the box fit me better than any other boot ever.
    There are people hoarding Vulcans out there

I got a new pair when they first announced they were discontinuing the old color
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Count me in for Vulcan hoarding. Group buy before they die? XXX'er?

I like the new color. Waited for it before I pulled the trigger.
    Master of mediocrity.

I'm pretty sure someone had to sell you on them
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-13-2017 at 08:48 AM.

alright, catching up here...and trying to understand the general negativity. Do I have the following correct?

The Hoji boot is ho hum cuz...
    1. No toe welt = problem with crampons and kicking steep/icy steps
    2. Last is too wide (103.5?)
    3. Not "freeride" stiff
    4. Fear that liners are garbage
    5. Won't work with Kingpin or Tecton

My questions/response:
    1. Can't you just get the TLT7 adapter for your existing crampons? Anyone have real experience having a harder time kicking steps with the TLT7 nose?
    2. I got a fat foot, yeah for me.
    3. I guess this isn't the holy grail unicorn some thought it would be
    4. In the blister interview Hoji said its the liner he's been using for a couple seasons..think the quote was something like "it's not quite an intuition but works well enough"
    5. Is no kingpin or tecton confirmed?

Last thing...after reading Lee's biglines article and Wildsnow...still don't fully understand the "pre-load." Help?

I think ultimately, I'm disappointed simply because I had pretty high hopes given the Vulcan and Hoji's previous track record modding/designing boots. Given the marketing babble, including Hoji's interviews/instagram surrounding the Hoji's release, the emphasis is mainly on the new walk mode and that is almost singularly focused on the ease of use and #pantsdownalways nonsense rather than an emphasis on a more progressive, alpine-like flex achieved by the new walk mode. I love the Vulcan, and I was really excited for an update half a decade later. My hopes (in order) were: more-progressive flex, lighter, and stiffer. I couldn't care less about an extra minute of transition time or needing to lift up my pant cuff.

High expectations aside, the only thing that's really a deal-breaker for me (on paper) is the speed nose. Still, it seems like a large percentage (75%, maybe) of NA backcountry skiers will be well-served by the new Hoji. Super-easy transitions, comfy fit for fat feet without boot work (if you have narrow feet, I guess you're out of luck?), and reasonably stiff. Like an easier-to-use Maestrale. Lack of toe welt probably won't bother too many people -- I mean, how many people in NA really use foot 'pons regularly and couldn't do just fine with a semi-auto binding? It would be interesting to see the sales numbers of the TLT6 vs the TLT7 in Europe and NA.

That said, I'm not really sure why you'd pick the Hoji over the Maestrale RS at about the same weight (except for fit reasons). People seem to be raving about Scarpa's new carbon-infused plastic (lighter and stiffer), and it seems like we haven't seen Dynafit make any advances in their materials in the past five years.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-13-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

^^^ You nailed it - unfulfilled expectations from the perspective of Vulcan crowd ^^^

... expectations of a more alpine-like Vulcan (flex), lighter, stiffer and no toe welt.

I'll bet that privately, Hoji lobbied for this with his original submissions but that they were shot down for various reasons by the Dynafit higher ups.

Perhaps (as stated by you and others) Dynafit has their fingers on the pulse of the Euro market.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I think the naming alone is one of the largest failures here. I'd assume most people see the name "Hoji" with the boot and the expectation is hard charging, wunder tour boot (ala vulcan).

What this boot actually is, is a competitor to the Scarpa Maestrale. A majority of back country skiers skiing the majority of their objectives with one boot. Not super burly and not super light. And really that was a hole that Dynafit had in their line. The TLT7 was more on the lighter side of that (especially in the US market), and the Vulcan/Khion is on the aggressive side of that. Should have saved the Hoji name for an actual Vulcan replacement and called this one the "Vertical Boot"

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'll bet that privately, Hoji lobbied for this with his original submissions but that they were shot down for various reasons by the Dynafit higher ups.
    Yup in the Blister podcast he definitely calls attention to the fact that he's just a consultant and Dynafit and the designers there have a lot more pull after his input. Also the Vulcan is a pretty low volume product next to their lighter offerings in the EU market (which is so much bigger than the US market), and I'd imagine even the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    That said, I'm not really sure why you'd pick the Hoji over the Maestrale RS at about the same weight. People seem to be raving about Scarpa's new carbon-infused plastic (lighter and stiffer), and it seems like we haven't seen Dynafit make any advances in their materials in the past five years.
    I bet Dynafit didn't expect the new Maestrale to be such a "large" little leap in performance with the update...

As for the crampons, just use semi auto crampons. Good enough for Steve House to climb mixed with his double boots (he apparently swears by them for some stuff)
    Name:  house.png
Views: 1116
Size:  217.3 KB
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 11-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.

I.
    That said, I'm not really sure why you'd pick the Hoji over the Maestrale RS at about the same weight. People seem to be raving about Scarpa's new carbon-infused plastic (lighter and stiffer), and it seems like we haven't seen Dynafit make any advances in their materials in the past five years.
    Fit, Fit and Fit in that order but if they don't fit me I will stick with my Vulcans

... As for the crampons, just use semi auto crampons. Good enough for Steve House to climb mixed with his double boots (he apparently swears by them for some stuff)
    So, we're talking about something like this http://www.camp-usa.com/products/cra...emi-automatic/, or this? I totally missed that ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Yeah Grivel loves their different name.

NewMatic = SemiAuto = Plastic toe bail + heel clip

What this boot actually is, is a competitor to the Scarpa Maestrale. A majority of back country skiers skiing the majority of their objectives with one boot. Not super burly and not super light. And really that was a hole that Dynafit had in their line. The TLT7 was more on the lighter side of that (especially in the US market), and the Vulcan/Khion is on the aggressive side of that.
    Yeah...that was the point of my post. But I also don't really understand why people want a boot that if it's not considerably cheaper -- just like I don't really understand why anyone would buy a Maestrale instead of an F1 -- they flex about the same but one is substantially lighter. Fit aside, why buy something heavier if it's not going to ski correspondingly better?

I definitely agree with the rest of your post.

Fit, Fit and Fit in that order
    Well yeah, I thought that much was obvious. I meant "disregarding fit and considering only the technical merits ..."
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-13-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Or just use full strap crampons.
    Life is not lift served.

or these...

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Y.

Well yeah, I thought that much was obvious. I meant "disregarding fit and considering only the technical merits ..."
    Obvious to whom?

check out any new boot thread you got a bunch of fucking dentist ready to slap down the black visa for the latest shinny new shoe regardless of fit ...especially if they are red

...focused on the ease of use and #pantsdownalways nonsense...
    When I first read the wildsnow article it took me over halfway through to realize they were talking about pant cuffs. I kept thinking: "what is so trendy about a bunch of skimo dudes skiing with their spandex down?"

Apparently I'm way out of the loop.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

I was personally waiting for this boot to be a lighter, more touring refined version of the Lupo Carbon. Seems like that's not the case. This might be a decent touring boot, but the lupo tours pretty well, is fairly light, and rips with that sweet sweet krypton flex. But it could easily be more touring refined.

Where is the ski-mo freeride boot? Everything super rigid and light, only allow a bit of extra weight for some flex modulator on the lean lock for the sweetest flex and rebound imaginable. Compression spring, piston? PG had that urethane flex bushing on some of their original boots. Someone's gotta be playing with that concept. My dad keeps raving about how Ramer was onto that in the 90s.

Dynafit seems to be out of the charger game, their choice. Lot's of great products out there now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    When I first read the wildsnow article it took me over halfway through to realize they were talking about pant cuffs. I kept thinking: "what is so trendy about a bunch of skimo dudes skiing with their spandex down?"

Apparently I'm way out of the loop.
    A whole buncha Dynafit boots in the last 5 yrs had removable tongues with the one top buckle

I think the pants cuff down thing means not having to pull tongues ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    I was personally waiting for this boot to be a lighter, more touring refined version of the Lupo Carbon.
    = Lupo AX 120. Albeit its only slightly lighter, but still. Swap the AX120 liner out for a pro tour or something stiffer, and its nearly a 130 flex.

A whole buncha Dynafit boots in the last 5 yrs had removable tongues with the one top buckle

I think the pants cuff down thing means not having to pull tongues ?
    Don't think so. I guy/girl still had to pull the cuff up to access the one cuff buckle/powerstrap, regardless of tongue swap.

Having said that, the eezee fix was just cut a few holes in yer pants and have the buckle sticking out and snap it open and closed. Done. Worked for me and buddies for 5 years.
    Master of mediocrity.