Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    does this mean Hoji has a wide foot? the 103.5 last? Does he get a special model? I recall the Titans were like a 102 last right? If Hoji is indeed a 103.5 lasted foot, anyone who claims there are not "rippers" in a 103 last would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    does this mean Hoji has a wide foot? the 103.5 last? Does he get a special model? I recall the Titans were like a 102 last right? If Hoji is indeed a 103.5 lasted foot, anyone who claims there are not "rippers" in a 103 last would be wrong.
    People make that claim?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    People make that claim?
    post # 95

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    103.5 last is a horrible. Does anyone know any actual rippers that ski a boot that wide? Once again very disappointed, just like when Vulcan was released. Granted I have very narrow feet, I ski a Doberman plug boot with no punches. But 103.5 Is like a hotdog in a hallway.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    post # 95
    THanks for the research... lol... wow. I guess, they will now :0

Oh, and a 103 lasted boot, no plenty of 'rippers' that ski in that.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    THanks for the research... lol... wow. I guess, they will now :0

Oh, and a 103 lasted boot, no plenty of 'rippers' that ski in that.
    i found it funny that someone thinks a boots last is what makes you a good skier.... dick waving.

Dynafit also doesn’t plan on folks punching their boots. They were next to blown away when we showed them the things we do to their boots.

http://biglines.com/gear/2017-dynafi...tailed-reveal/

Will try to catch up on comments and questions later. Interviews with Eric about the thinking behind the boot

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.wildsnow.com/23312/hoji-...-boot-dynafit/

so a skimo race style single action ski/walk mode toggle on a 1500+g boot... err

Yes Ski mo it would seem BUT the tlt 5/ 6/ 7/ mercury/ vulcan all use a removable tongue to make more ROM for touring , people either swap out their tongues at the top or leave them out period,

Removable tongues are kind of a pain in the ass but with this design ... no need to swap

I think the 103 last is the same as the Vulcan?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    people either swap out their tongues at the top or leave them out period
    I only take out tongues on either Mercurys or then later Vulcans for longer climbs (hour plus of up) I really don't feel that it sacrifices very much at all and they still walk better than any boot before them did. Plus I don't like how they ski with the tongues out either. I tried it again on Sunday. And the whole fiddle factor involved is to damn frustrating to put up with in the field.

I find the stock liners in both perfectly adequate and use the power strap. in fact used a booster on the Mercurys.

Combining the ski/walk latch with top buckle was a work of genius by Dynafit. The Hoji appears to be a significant improvement on that concept.

I wish they just kept making the original Vulcan. It was, for me, as near to perfect as a ski boot could be.

But I can probably see myself in these at some point in future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Dynafit HOJI unicorn boot -

Lee's biglines article and the vid clips explain it well. The skeleton and the wings ,engage (ski) and disengage(walk), are the revolutionary bits. The tongue isn't as stiff as Vulcan so shouldn't need to come out. Mighty fine bit of engineering. See how the fit and flex come out. Sounds like they want both skiing and walking improvements

The video's with Hoji in his awesome micro shop are great. Good work Lee.

I see he has added a lathe along with his mill.

Yes Ski mo it would seem BUT the tlt 5/ 6/ 7/ mercury/ vulcan all use a removable tongue to make more ROM for touring , people either swap out their tongues at the top or leave them out period,
    My buddies in terrace running the tlt 5 and 6 have a mod to permanently attach tongue to boot with no penalty in walking ROM and reinstates stiffness for downhill mode. I'll get some pics to ya when i get back home, if yer interested. Was never a priority for me since i don't run the tongue and found the mercs/vulcan ski fine without.
    Master of mediocrity.

my tlt6p skin fine w/the tongues fwiw, I never take em out unless I'm leaving em behind for that trip

why is no one taking about the POMOCA sole/tread? That is the real story here.

But in all seriousness how is this supposed to click into that new Salomon binder with that Michael Jackson nose?
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post

With all of Hoji's modding efforts I wonder how he gets all his random parts. Is it just that he's tight with all the shops that dispose of boots or does he just hoard part bins everywhere? Either way I'm jealous.
    Gets them from shops and friends

Bit short on time here but will try to answer some questions except where they've already been answered -
    eg XXXer and Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Oh cool looks like it comes with the typical garbage fodder dynafits liners.
    Yes. Are you surprised? Dynafit doesn't learn

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    No, the orange cable anchor for the top buckle... looks like the cable loop seats on a small black sheetmetal catch that floats with the orange cable embedded in the spine.
    Think that's already been answered but not really clear what you're asking

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Also note, looks like the beast heel fitting is built in.
    It won't work with Beast, Kingpin or Tecton. I'll check to see if this thingamajig lets it work with those three. https://www.evo.com/ski-binding-part...t-heel-adapter

As to why Dynafit made that choice? Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    nice lookin' boot...but where's the adjustable forward flex a la the g.o.a.t. ski boot solly sx series? Interesting similarities in the rear closure system. Checked out the intimate details in the Hoji patent, obviously totally different but cool to see the old tech coming back in a new form/purpose.

Attachment 215563
    There is no adjustable forward flex

so forward lean is set with that lean lock

"when you kick down the lever, you will enjoy a ‘loaded’ tension fit between the latch and interior cuff stops. Super solid "

I wonder if there is any adjustment for the stiffness or how that ^^ mech all pulls everything togetehr?

SO is this an "overlap style boot" or a "cabrio style boot"
    I'd call it hybrid. See construction details in bigline article and patent

My buddies in terrace running the tlt 5 and 6 have a mod to permanently attach tongue to boot with no penalty in walking ROM and reinstates stiffness for downhill mode. I'll get some pics to ya when i get back home, if yer interested. Was never a priority for me since i don't run the tongue and found the mercs/vulcan ski fine without.
    I'd like to see that. I take mine out for big climbs and have two tongues t nutted together for the downs. The double tongues, wc booster strap and stiffer liner have eeked out a fair bit of extra performance, although it'll never be my "one" boot

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Crampon attachment will likely be a disaster for serious crampon users.

Looks like they copied the Dalbello Lupo ski/walk lock lever insofar as it doesn't actually lock, just blocks rearward movement, leaving the shell and tongue to [hopefully] progressively arrest forward movement in ski mode. Based on Lupo downhill performance, that could be a good thing. Plus whatever that complicated cable does.
    Agreed re crampons.

Lupo comment below addressed

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    But the Lupo is a cabrio design relying on the flex/stiffness of the tongue, whereas the Hoji is relying more so on the flex stops of the lower shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Meh.

No compatibility with step-in bindings or crampons?

Not that stiff?

Who is this boot designed for? Does it replace the TLT7 or TLT6? Beast?
    See biglines article - designed for "all -around touring". Definitely not the Beast although that boot should be killed with fire. Hopefully Dynafit EU lets the Hoji Pro model or whatever they call it actually be made

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I think they just let hoji do whatever he wants with the boot and then try to sell it.
    Unfortunately no. Dynafit EU has final say in things like last, toeless welt, reduced heel welt, colours - all the general specs. Eric and Fritz do the design

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    But it sounds like it's still a compromise... listening to the blister podcast I think reading between the lines, hoji wanted a real toe welt and wanted it stiffer.
    Cough.... cough. No comment

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Looks like this is a Beast/Khion replacement; about time. It is defiantly interesting. I'd like an opportunity to test them out. In general, I am not a fan of flex stops in the front half of the boot. Harder to produce a smooth predictable flex. However you run into this issue with most walk/lock mechanisms due to having up to two metallic connection points, one of which is low on the spine of the boot (same reason the first year K2 resort boots skied like shit). The height of the flex stops on this is promising, however their placement makes me question the lateral stiffness of the boot IOT maintain a progressive flex. I don't want a progressive lateral flex. Some directional carbon in the mold process could solve this. Hopefully it fits more like the TLT7 and less like the TLT6.

I'm looking forward to putting hands on it.
    It fits like a TLT7- ie you can park a Ford F350 in it. There;s very little anatomical shaping to this boot. Fans of wide boots will rejoice.

yah, I know. I had a moment of hopeful dreaming. The crampon thing kills it for me anyway.

I wonder if the flex stops produce the same springy not-progressive flex as the Mercury's bump stops? I wonder if they deform the shell fit in the same way as well?
    Per Eric they were designed specifically so as to not deform the lower shell by use of the plastic skeleton

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I just don't understand why they wouldn't put a toe welt in. Like...what is the advantage to no toe welt besides maybe a bit more comfortable while skinning.
    Weight. Slightly more natural stride. Per someone who knows Euro skiers- gives retailers something to talk about (I'm serious with that comment)

30 grams probably. And toe that wears out faster on rocks.
    30g if that. And yes the toe will wear a bit quicker on rocks

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Disappointed. Dynafit used to make boots that fit me, but I won’t waste my time considering anything with a 103.5mm last and what appears to be a high instep. When did boot manufacturers lose sight of the fact that shells can always be punched out to accommodate wider feet, but you can’t make em narrower.
    The disappointing thing is that some boot companies (Dalbello, Atomic, Salomon) are realizing that - ie "shells can always be punched out to accommodate wider feet, but you can’t make em narrower." Not only does Dynafit not realize that; with this boot they took a step back to a shell that is shaped like the cavernous old Titan and ZZeus

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Think that's already been answered but not really clear what you're asking
    Yep, already been answered, thanks. Question was more early conjecture before more info was found.

Lee and others...how does a TLT 7 fit compared to the Vulcan? Heel hold, ankle snugness, instep height, forefoot width comparo? Buddies say the tlt 7 fits higher volume than the tlt 6 but they haven't had feet in the Vulcans...just checking cause the Vulcans fit perfectly with mods but any higher volume in the shell in the aforementioned areas preclude the Unicorn from being a contender in the long run...
    Master of mediocrity.

Holy shit the fit of the tlt7 is way higher volume than the Vulcan, IMO. The Vulcans fit me perfectly with just a little punching at 6th toe. The TLT7 was horrifyingly sloppy everywhere. Like, Scarpa Denali bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Agreed re crampons.

Lupo comment below addressed

See biglines article - designed for "all -around touring". Definitely not the Beast although that boot should be killed with fire. Hopefully Dynafit EU lets the Hoji Pro model or whatever they call it actually be made

Unfortunately no. Dynafit EU has final say in things like last, toeless welt, reduced heel welt, colours - all the general specs. Eric and Fritz do the design

Cough.... cough. No comment

It fits like a TLT7- ie you can park a Ford F350 in it. There;s very little anatomical shaping to this boot. Fans of wide boots will rejoice.

Per Eric they were designed specifically so as to not deform the lower shell by use of the plastic skeleton

Weight. Slightly more natural stride. Per someone who knows Euro skiers- gives retailers something to talk about (I'm serious with that comment)

30g if that. And yes the toe will wear a bit quicker on rocks

The disappointing thing is that some boot companies (Dalbello, Atomic, Salomon) are realizing that - ie "shells can always be punched out to accommodate wider feet, but you can’t make em narrower." Not only does Dynafit not realize that; with this boot they took a step back to a shell that is shaped like the cavernous old Titan and ZZeus
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify matters Lee. I’ve just been playing with the new Salomon S-Lab X-Alp boot, which takes anatomical shell design to a level I’ve never experienced, and Dynafit come out with this bucket. Market dominance to irrelevance in few simple steps.

I wonder if any of the old like at boot companies will be on business in a few years, now that Lange, atomic, Salomon are making good boots.

The alpine boot makers have a lot of experience in making boots in high volume and a lot of money for r and d.

Personally, after struggling with scarpa and garmont, I couldn't be happier with the Lange free 130.

And I see how the skimo guys care about quick transitions, but is it really worth spending r and d time on upper buckles that combine with the strap to speed up transitions?

Maybe that time could be better spent on making the boots to ski mo better.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Lee and others...how does a TLT 7 fit compared to the Vulcan? Heel hold, ankle snugness, instep height, forefoot width comparo? Buddies say the tlt 7 fits higher volume than the tlt 6 but they haven't had feet in the Vulcans...just checking cause the Vulcans fit perfectly with mods but any higher volume in the shell in the aforementioned areas preclude the Unicorn from being a contender in the long run...
    See below - I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Holy shit the fit of the tlt7 is way higher volume than the Vulcan, IMO. The Vulcans fit me perfectly with just a little punching at 6th toe. The TLT7 was horrifyingly sloppy everywhere. Like, Scarpa Denali bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify matters Lee. I’ve just been playing with the new Salomon S-Lab X-Alp boot, which takes anatomical shell design to a level I’ve never experienced, and Dynafit come out with this bucket. Market dominance to irrelevance in few simple steps.
    To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Take a look at the Doglotion review of the Procline I co-wrote with Seb Bunney. There are issues with the Procline that hopefully the Salomon avoided