Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah it looks Cabrio but in amongst all that tech how much stiffness is coming from the tongue, I guess the cuff stops are the big thing here just like they were in the Vulcan actualy

It will be nice not to fiddle with a tongue or a pwrstrap

Lots of folks never use the Vulcan tongue and I took my power strap off

Like it or not this boot will be measured against the vulcan

edit : they are claiming progressive forward flex
    Within reason and up to a certain point; such a subjective thing that 'progressive forward flex' concept...for example many folks lauded the solly mtn. lab for being progressive and i thought it was quite brick wallish in stock form but changed liners to intuition luxury liner high volume and the fit tension was better and the boots flexed more progressively but still a bit brick wallish. My guess is that guys with more volume in the calf/lower leg/ankle area would flex the boot more effectively and activate the flex correctly.

Conversely, many folks cast aspersions at the vulcan for being non progessive. For my skiing buck, it's the smoothest most progressive ski touring boot i've yet to ski. (no flex stops, no tongue). Same thing for the Mercury, I thought it flex nicely but definitely not as nice as the vulcan.

Then there are boots like the Garmont Axon...brick wall then collapse...

So many variables; shin/ankle liner fit tension, bone shape, muscle mass vs. fat content in lower leg, etc... IMO it's all about having a shell that fits in a shape that most closely mimics yer lower leg, so that the fit tension correctly activates the flex of the plastic with proper and equal pressure distribution.

Sure will be interesting to get the feedback of the skiing feel of the Hoji boot. In my experience, in previous boot designs, the flex stops were a negative factor in the feel of a boot's flex and i generally ground them off.

But, this is a whole new concept so I'm approaching it with an open mind.

The one deal breaker for me is the lack of toe protrusion of the shell. I do a lot of bootpacking in firm (but not ice hard) snow and find it essential for kicking in and gaining optimal grip; many time it's just the penetration of the protrusion that my full body weight is resting on...I don't dick around with crampons so that isn't the limiting factor; if the snow's that hard, I ain't skiing it.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-08-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Crampon attachment will likely be a disaster for serious crampon users.

Looks like they copied the Dalbello Lupo ski/walk lock lever insofar as it doesn't actually lock, just blocks rearward movement, leaving the shell and tongue to [hopefully] progressively arrest forward movement in ski mode. Based on Lupo downhill performance, that could be a good thing. Plus whatever that complicated cable does.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    such a subjective thing that 'progressive forward flex' concept...for example many folks lauded the solly mtn. lab for being progressive and i thought it was quite brick wallish in stock form but changed liners to intuition luxury liner high volume and the fit tension was better and the boots flexed more progressively but still a bit brick wallish. My guess is that guys with more volume in the calf/lower leg/ankle area would flex the boot more effectively and activate the flex correctly.
    I weigh 190 and strong, tour with the stock Mtn Lab liners and ski resort with cork liners out of Nordica Grand Prixs. The Nordica liners definitely smooth out the flex but I find them exactly like you, progressive for a small range and then you hit a wall. I actually can't ski more than 2 consecutive days without painful shinbang. Maybe I should of tried the third buckle mod last season but I really felt it wasn't going to change the feel at all. Amazing watching Stan Rey yesterday in the Magnetic release skiing all resort with his Labs. I suppose you get used to the feel if you're skiing every day but I really can't grasp how he could handle it in that boot.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Looks like they copied the Dalbello Lupo ski/walk lock lever insofar as it doesn't actually lock, just blocks rearward movement, leaving the shell and tongue to [hopefully] progressively arrest forward movement in ski mode. Based on Lupo downhill performance, that could be a good thing. Plus whatever that complicated cable does.
    But the Lupo is a cabrio design relying on the flex/stiffness of the tongue, whereas the Hoji is relying more so on the flex stops of the lower shell.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    See that silver thing on the underside of the front of the crampon? I'm betting that is a hook and there is a little hole for it to slot into.
    Can't wait for that slot to ice up... Might as well just get Petzl Leopard FL crampons if you want something light.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Meh.

No compatibility with step-in bindings or crampons?

Not that stiff?

Who is this boot designed for? Does it replace the TLT7 or TLT6? Beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Meh.

Not that stiff?

And heaver than a HAWX 130 XTD
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Meh.

Not that stiff?

Is there a quoted flex number or stiffness comparison anywhere?

Also 103.5mm last seems lame.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Can't wait for that slot to ice up... Might as well just get Petzl Leopard FL crampons if you want something light.
    From wildsnow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hojiboot_crampon.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	215576

Investing in silicone spray futures now

Meh.

I think they just let hoji do whatever he wants with the boot and then try to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I think they just let hoji do whatever he wants with the boot and then try to sell it.
    But it sounds like it's still a compromise... listening to the blister podcast I think reading between the lines, hoji wanted a real toe welt and wanted it stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Is there a quoted flex number or stiffness comparison anywhere?

Also 103.5mm last seems lame.

From wildsnow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hojiboot_crampon.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	215576

Investing in silicone spray futures now
    Or presumably this also works.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Looks like this is a Beast/Khion replacement; about time. It is defiantly interesting. I'd like an opportunity to test them out. In general, I am not a fan of flex stops in the front half of the boot. Harder to produce a smooth predictable flex. However you run into this issue with most walk/lock mechanisms due to having up to two metallic connection points, one of which is low on the spine of the boot (same reason the first year K2 resort boots skied like shit). The height of the flex stops on this is promising, however their placement makes me question the lateral stiffness of the boot IOT maintain a progressive flex. I don't want a progressive lateral flex. Some directional carbon in the mold process could solve this. Hopefully it fits more like the TLT7 and less like the TLT6.

I'm looking forward to putting hands on it.

I'm sure some have seen this, if you haven't, video here: http://blistergearreview.com/ski-boo...oji-boots-ep-1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    But the Lupo is a cabrio design relying on the flex/stiffness of the tongue, whereas the Hoji is relying more so on the flex stops of the lower shell.
    yah, I know. I had a moment of hopeful dreaming. The crampon thing kills it for me anyway.

I wonder if the flex stops produce the same springy not-progressive flex as the Mercury's bump stops? I wonder if they deform the shell fit in the same way as well?
    Life is not lift served.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't put a toe welt in. Like...what is the advantage to no toe welt besides maybe a bit more comfortable while skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I just don't understand why they wouldn't put a toe welt in. Like...what is the advantage to no toe welt besides maybe a bit more comfortable while skinning.
    Because hardly anyone tours in frame bindings these days.

They can put that weight where it serves a purpose.

Having walked around a few steps in a toe welt-less Dynafit Carbonio the other day it sure makes a difference.

30 grams probably. And toe that wears out faster on rocks.
    Life is not lift served.

Yeah, I guess what I meant was more of a spot to use automatic crampons, not necessarily a full toe welt. Just seems like at it's current weight why complicate things unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Having walked around a few steps in a toe welt-less Dynafit Carbonio the other day it sure makes a difference.
    You should get a job with Blister!
    Life is not lift served.

103.5 last is a horrible. Does anyone know any actual rippers that ski a boot that wide? Once again very disappointed, just like when Vulcan was released. Granted I have very narrow feet, I ski a Doberman plug boot with no punches. But 103.5 Is like a hotdog in a hallway.

Disappointed. Dynafit used to make boots that fit me, but I won’t waste my time considering anything with a 103.5mm last and what appears to be a high instep. When did boot manufacturers lose sight of the fact that shells can always be punched out to accommodate wider feet, but you can’t make em narrower.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    103.5 last is a horrible. Does anyone know any actual rippers that ski a boot that wide? Once again very disappointed, just like when Vulcan was released. Granted I have very narrow feet, I ski a Doberman plug boot with no punches. But 103.5 Is like a hotdog in a hallway.
    Narrow heel/wide forefoot/high instep, the Vulcan fits me perfect right of the box ... never trust anyone with narrow feet

well fading advanced perhaps
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I wouldn’t put much stock in brands’ listed lasts measurements. Lots of ways to stick a ruler in a boot. No real alternative for a good shell fit.

Last width has replaced DIN setting and flex rating as unit of dick measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    You should get a job with Blister!
    I really wouldn't be any good at that... see above.

Looks complicated, unlike the RS which looks like an evolution of proven concepts. I prefer the latter when it comes to touring gear. The insteps buckle is sweet though. Those things just work.

I wonder about the potential for development of rotational play in the front crampon attachment. That's not the sort of thing for which I'd like to be a beta tester. I hope Dynafit gets it all right this time, unlike with the Khion/Beast