Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Because the beast is dead; it’s no longer part of their binding offering.
    Dead is such a harsh word

We would instead say

" The product had gone Sunset "

Did beast ever really have much traction in the market, did they sell many?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The beast is a strange tale of product development. Only other binding I can think of that expects many end users to modify their boots is CAST. I Agree that it is unfortunate for their clientele that they would so quickly pretend their products no longer exist and it doesn't seem outlandish that they retain the older but functional master step.

Hoji free certainly has merits though, especially if the liner either doesn't suck or is a more similar wight to an intuition. Is anyone able to comment on the more salient features of the lock system and if it truly does have less deformation around the pivots than the competition? I know wildsnow was stoked on this but curious how noticeable it is vs the competition. It's not like it is a notable characteristic of my XTDs. Are the mating rails a big deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6H8kjtITno

I an definitely intrigued by this boot.

I tried a hoji free on today a size 26 which is 2 sizes too big, so it was just about the range of motion, cranked all the buckles down right undo the buckle at the back and the range of motion was truly impressive.

For me I kinda doubt they will make this in a 24 and the Vulcans are still fine but I was impressed

Any idea how one might replace the tongue on the Hoji Pro? I assume you have to grind out the rivet but how do you install the new rivet?

I know a guy who would proabbly just cut the fuckign thing out

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Any idea how one might replace the tongue on the Hoji Pro? I assume you have to grind out the rivet but how do you install the new rivet?
    Photos of the area?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Chicago rivet?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Sorry. Haven't read through this whole thread yet. Hoji Pro vs XT Freetour 130 (2017)? So I didn't like how soft my freetours were so I put in a intuition powerwrap. Now they have ZERO articulation and touring in them kinda sucks.

Do the Hojis ski legit or do they try really hard, but still feel like a boot that just came out of the fitting oven?

Just received a set of Hoji Free’s in the mail. My initial impression is fairly positive, based on what you can tell from carpet testing. I will mess with them more before I commit to them.

A few thoughts for the curious out there:

I ordered my “normal” size and fit seems good. I have seen others say that they sized up.

Width seems accurate based on comparisons to other boots I have owned recently.

Flex appears promising, and I intend to use them for everything, plus I weigh many pounds.

The tongue area seems well thought out.

The back of the boot has relatively large spaces that seem like it will allow snow to enter the boot between the upper and lower -more than any boot that I can recall.

Buckles are a bit different but don’t seem gimmicky.

The liners seem legit.

Can someone tell me the proper technique to mold these? I think I will need to do this because my special ankle hurts like hell with the stock liners but ok with old intuitions. The other more normal ankle feels fine.

I've never heard of a Chicago rivet before but that seems to be a screw rivet or T nut? That is not what is on the Hoji Pro.

link to image: https://www.backcountryskiingcanada....AT-Boots-4.jpg

The Dynafit logo on the bottom of the tongue is the head of the rivet, the tail of the rivet goes through the tongue and a washer to the inside of the boot. It is not a pop/blind rivet and there is obviously no room inside the boot to hammer and upset, deform the tail.

Maybe a C clamp?

And that would be how I know what a chicago rivet is despite not ever hearing of it before. Thanks capt obvious.

I don't know anything

I do know how to google

Has anyone had the Hoji in kingpins? I have read that it’s not compatible with them, but it is with a tecton (with limited range of motion) and after clipping my new Hoji’s into my gf’s kingpins I can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t work? Heal ledge looks plenty deep enough.

I haven’t actually got any kingpins in rotation right now, but unlike most here, actually like the binding so maybe my future quiver will have kingpins in it again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Has anyone had the Hoji in kingpins? I have read that it’s not compatible with them, but it is with a tecton (with limited range of motion) and after clipping my new Hoji’s into my gf’s kingpins I can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t work? Heal ledge looks plenty deep enough.

I haven’t actually got any kingpins in rotation right now, but unlike most here, actually like the binding so maybe my future quiver will have kingpins in it again.

Where did you hear that they are not compatible with Kingpins? Any write ups online annoucing the boots mention compatiblity with King pin and Shifts as the reason for the development of the boots.

I am considering them but they would have to work with both of these bindings.

I believe this thread is about the Hoji pro tour, not the Hoji free, but I’m sure there has been lots of thread drift between the two.

I’m asking about the pro tour-the one without the toe bail and a normal looking heal bail.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I believe this thread is about the Hoji pro tour, not the Hoji free, but I’m sure there has been lots of thread drift between the two.

I’m asking about the pro tour-the one without the toe bail and a normal looking heal bail.

My fault, didn't know you meant Pro. Free is mentioned in a few posts on this page.

Any one else have the heel inserts on their Hoji boots develop play?

I have about 30 days on my Hoji free boots and the masterstep heel inserts have developed some slop and are able to wiggle side to side a slight amount. I'm not worried about the insert pulling out because of the vertical screw anchoring it in but I can definitely feel the slight movement when clicked into tech bindings. This new heel insert design seems to allow the metal insert to rotate at the screw under lateral force eventually wearing the plastic around the insert. This was never a problem with the old inserts since the screw pulled the insert snug into the heel of the boot and lateral forces could be transferred more directly.

I considered warrantying this, but figured I would just end up with a replacement pair of boots that would eventually have the same problem. So I decided to remove the insert, add some epoxy to the holes and then reinstall. Hopefully this solves the issue.

So do the latest Hoji Pro Tours play nicer with the latest Tectons?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Anyone tried Hoji Free spoilers on Pro Tour? I'm still on the fence whether I should keep the boots or sell while they are new and get Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 XTD as I have few high pressure spots above my instep and not sure if heating the liner (swap it?) will solve the fit issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Anyone tried Hoji Free spoilers on Pro Tour? I'm still on the fence whether I should keep the boots or sell while they are new and get Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 XTD as I have few high pressure spots above my instep and not sure if heating the liner (swap it?) will solve the fit issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Heat molding the liner was night and day for me

Anybody got a pair of either Frees or Tours in 29.5? I'm buying.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    ... as I have few high pressure spots above my instep and not sure if heating the liner (swap it?) will solve the fit issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200816_002028.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	343890

Had to deeply modify Hoji Free's liners to bearable condition, to cut all the stupid stitching & velcro & other stiff not moldable layers right above instep, very unimpressed by SIDAS work.
    So Dynafit liners are still crap.
    And still Intuition Wrap rules.

is that ^^ the modifyed liner ? I don't think my foot would like that, it would hurt where the elastic is sewn to the liner

The Mercury/ Vulcan also had shitty liners, i tried cutting all that shit off the top of the Mercury liner which helped but a pwrap liner was the key IME with my high instep an Intuition pwrap will always work while an intuition with a tongue will not, YMMV