Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Just checked my notes and yes, the 26 is 291mm and the 27 is 301mm. But the Vulcan/Mercury is 294mm and 304mm respectively.
    Right you are
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Re Hoji feet

His feet are not flippers. The wide cave-like fit of the Hoji is not designed for his feet. That was a Dynafit decision.

I am told ( anecdotally) that many Euro skishops do rudimentary custom boot-fitting or punching, if at all. So Dynafit designed something wider and relies on the liner to take up space for showroom comfort. I am aware this stereotypes an entire continent and also aware this is secondhand so comments on this observation are appreciated

Re bullet nose

I am told this was a Dynafit decision to "get people talking" for consumer decisions. I speculate that it appeals to the rando leanings of the skimo racer wannabes who fantasize that they will feel the 0.05% improvement in stride efficiency. Speculation aside about motivation this decision was a Dynafit decision as was the Masterfit fitting as well as the lack of substantial heel ledge.

There's more in the Biglines article. I'll do a followup once I have a non proto skiable sample

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Floor test:
    Stiff
    USABLE range of motion
    = very similar to Vulcan and Hawx XTD
    One switch walk mode is the truly amazing part. I'm the guy who unbuckles everything (EVERYTHING) completely and totally for the skin up... buckles off the catches, power straps totally undone because I want the pressure off and the full range of usable motion. This is truly finally not necessary on the Hoji. Undo the ankle lock and you are truly good (maybe unlock the forefoot to release pressure). Locking/unlocking is effortless and not fiddly, unlike the Vulcan/T. The Vulcan is the longest transition, fiddly, finger smashing boot ever devised. Hoji is literally the opposite.

Binding compatibility:
    Not compatible with the Beast
    Not compatible with Shift (duh)
    "Compatible with Kingpin"
    "Compatible with the Tecton and Vipec EVO, but the toe will hit the bumper so your stride will be shortened"

I'll test that last bit on Tuesday. No Tecton compatibility, no WTR/Gripwalk, proprietary crampon (which can ice up) = I'm buying a Hawx XTD

26/26.5 is 291mm (vs 297mm for a Vulcan)
    To make it compatible with Kingpins the Hoji may require installing a metal heel ledge drilled into the heel somewhat like the Backland adapter sold by EVO but currently oos.

Or perhaps Dynafit has something new. We will see. Hopefully sooner rather then later

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    IIRC:
    26 = 290mm
    27 = 300mm
    Like Jon I am a 27 Vulcan/Mercury. I can barely fit a sz 26 with packed out liners and slightly mashed toes.

I am almost certainly going to be a sz 27 Hoji. The last did NOT change from proto to production so if any of you skied the Hoji and it fit those were as 27 protos.

Be very careful of advice to size down and take care of toe room issues by toe punching. You can get a tiny bit of room (1mm guesstimate) by punching but the presence of toe fittings and the bullet nose gives bootfitters very little room to play. Any advice to the contrary should be viewed very conservatively and be backed up by a replacement guarantee. You can get more room by a very aggressive liner cook (think double toe caps) so insist on that before you commit to buy.

I find it funny, that Hojis "pro" boot is not avail in his size (24), and not really that useful for his foot shape (he was using 100ish mm shape)

I wonder how close to production his 4frnt skis are as well?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    R
    I am told ( anecdotally) that many Euro skishops do rudimentary custom boot-fitting or punching, if at all. So Dynafit designed something wider and relies on the liner to take up space for showroom comfort. I am aware this stereotypes an entire continent and also aware this is secondhand so comments on this observation are appreciated
    That's certainly the case in the Dolomites. Boot fitters exist, but even some of the "best" shops look at you like you're crazy if you mention punching a boot.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I find it funny, that Hojis "pro" boot is not avail in his size (24), and not really that useful for his foot shape (he was using 100ish mm shape)
    I had assumed the pair he's been skiing in the photos is a pre-production pair in his size. Is that not the case?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Which, save the speed nose deletion, is what Hoji basically said was in the works in the blister podcast. MSRP, I assume, will be roughly equivalent to the annual GDP of France.
    My understanding based on that podcast is that it's future is determined by sales of the Hoji Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Re Hoji feet

His feet are not flippers. The wide cave-like fit of the Hoji is not designed for his feet. That was a Dynafit decision.

Re bullet nose

I am told this was a Dynafit decision to "get people talking" for consumer decisions. I speculate that it appeals to the rando leanings of the skimo racer wannabes who fantasize that they will feel the 0.05% improvement in stride efficiency. Speculation aside about motivation this decision was a Dynafit decision as was the Masterfit fitting as well as the lack of substantial heel ledge.
    My concern is that Dynafit will kill sales of the boot with the stupid decisions -- it won't sell in NA, and then they'll blame the design or the market or god knows what, and throw the baby out with the bathwater. And then we'll never see the boot we really wanted, the boot that would have sold: a Vulcan 2.0 with an alpine-like flex.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Dynafit knows their market, Europe. Kinda interesting that boot fitting is pretty much a NA thing only. Bet they sell over 90% of their product in Europe, so NA is an afterthought. 103.5 last, stupid bullet/shark nose thingy, the lycra rando euro crowd will love it(that 0.05% increase in stride efficiency is a game changer for them). Anyone know if the women's version will have a narrower last? If it's the exact same boot with a narrower last that would love a lot of problems on this side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    Dynafit knows their market, Europe. Kinda interesting that boot fitting is pretty much a NA thing only. Bet they sell over 90% of their product in Europe, so NA is an afterthought. 103.5 last, stupid bullet/shark nose thingy, the lycra rando euro crowd will love it(that 0.05% increase in stride efficiency is a game changer for them). Anyone know if the women's version will have a narrower last? If it's the exact same boot with a narrower last that would love a lot of problems on this side of the pond.
    So I only asked like 4 of the Dynafit guys at the show this very question.

I got two answers:
    No difference at all in last. Different liner to accommodate female calf.
    No last differences in overlap sizes, narrower heel in smaller non-overlap. Different liner cutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    So I only asked like 4 of the Dynafit guys at the show this very question.

I got two answers:
    No difference at all in last. Different liner to accommodate female calf.
    No last differences in overlap sizes, narrower heel in smaller non-overlap. Different liner cutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    My understanding based on that podcast is that it's future is determined by sales of the Hoji Pro.
    My concern is that Dynafit will kill sales of the boot with the stupid decisions -- it won't sell in NA, and then they'll blame the design or the market or god knows what, and throw the baby out with the bathwater. And then we'll never see the boot we really wanted, the boot that would have sold: a Vulcan 2.0 with an alpine-like flex.
    look at the Khion and the Beast which were dogs in the big boot class, i remember last season MEC (half the Canadian market eh) had the Beast on sale 26% off BEFORE Xmas, instead Dynafit brought back or didn't disco the awesume Vulcan, what they did do was change the color and overcharge 100$ more for a boot they were already overcharging for ... because they could

A comments I read from a boot designer said the Vulcan was not well thot of on that side of the pond ...go figure

I think Vulcan may have turned out awesume entirely inspite of Dynafit,

obviously there is a bunch a stuff that doesnt make sense with this new Hoji boot but the dynafit guys you talk to and EH ... what else can they say?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-28-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you're interested, i've modded my vulcans to have a more progressive and damped forward flex profile. Still working on some technical hurdles but the design concept works as intended...remarkably so, in fact. I kinda got lucky picking off the shelf materials and it's 'just right' but the basic design allows for in theory, almost unlimited customization of stiffness and flex profile...in addition to that, potentially all field adjustable within minutes to tailor yer boots for varying snow conditions and needs. The mod is totally reversible so that you can restore the o.g. factory flex. I've had to do so after the latest mod fail (rubber keeps wearing out/breaking down) and it sux cause the ski feel is so much better while running the mod. I work as a ski tech at a heli op and skied the hell outta the boots for the past three days in a good variety of conditions; and all I gotta say for me anyways, is the game is changed.

p.m. me for pics, construction process flow, etc. Don't wanna post a thread on it cause it's not dialed yet. Hopefully have it all figured out by the end of the season.
    Master of mediocrity.

I had assumed the pair he's been skiing in the photos is a pre-production pair in his size. Is that not the case?
    Correct. Some 3d printed components as well. One off therefore expensive

I have a line on Dynatard marketing:

Hoji PT - A Kickass Boot for Shitty Bindings (also buy new crampons)

I got try them on at the OR show this weekend and wasn't in love with them. The closure mechanism seems really fiddly. I wasn't able to get them back into ski mode without loosening the power strap. The rep said they are still working out some of the glitches. The cable buckles were a bit fussy as well.

The fit wasn't great for my narrow feet. They just didn't feel like they wrapped my lower foot very snugly without cranking down the toe buckle. I also didn't think the flex was very progressive. They simply flexed to a point and then stopped without really ramping up as you flexed.

The walk mode is fantastic. Having a single buckle to loosen everything, including the power strap, is awesome. I guess the walk mode switch is design so you can go into ski mode by stepping on it with the other foot. Pretty cool thinking.

I would look at these boots with the same eye as a new tech binding. Probably best to wait a year and see what updates they make.

100% confirmed no Shift compatibility due to bullet nose? Meh. Might try on the new Zero G's for my next boot as my RS 1.0 are getting a bit long in the tooth. Those or the Hawx which my main ski partner is really pleased with (aside from a broken walk lever).

If anyone can't wait -- Backcountry.com has a few pre-releases available in 27/27.5/28: https://www.backcountry.com/dynafit-...w.wildsnow.com

(For $200 cheaper than Vulcans where are like what..8 years old at this point?)

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    100% confirmed no Shift compatibility due to bullet nose? Meh. Might try on the new Zero G's for my next boot as my RS 1.0 are getting a bit long in the tooth. Those or the Hawx which my main ski partner is really pleased with (aside from a broken walk lever).
    No Shift or Tecton compatibility. Kingpin compatibility tbd

I didn't make it to On Snow to confirm if Tecton incompatibility was relative or absolute...

showroom floor test against HAWX XTD 130

went into my local store in Germany today and floor "tested" the Hoji Pro ltd ed. against my Atomic Hawx XTD 130.
    They had me test it with a beefy Sidas liner and the stock liner, which is a bit flimsier and similar to the liner in the Hawx XTD 130.

Walk mode: more forward movement possible on the Hoji. If I unbuckle the Atomic top two buckles, it's still a bit less than on the Dynafit boot.
    Ski mode: forward flex is markedly less on the Hoji boot. Ramps up quickly. In the Hawx there is less ramp up, and more forward motion. That's also what I've noticed skiing in the Hawx - hitting bumpy stuff fast I've got to watch that feature of the boot and work more at staying centered.

Weight is exactly the same for both boots with the stock liner - 1470 grams in a 27. The Sidas liner has better heel hold than the stock liner, and comparable hold to the supposedly narrower Atomic (which underwent a shell cook). It adds 100g.
    Alltogether, the Hoji feels like a more solid boot than the Hawx 130, even with the stock line.
    I'm wondering now whether I need to sell the Hawx and pay 250 Euros more for the Hoji

Edit:
    I've got a normal width forefoot and pretty slender ankle area, high instep. Always struggle with the ankle retention - seemed to be a non-issue on the Hoji. The instep pressed down too much, but the shop guy was pretty certain that a liner cook or if need be, shell mod would take care of that.
    Shell fit is 1.5 on the Hawx and 1.25 (or so) fingers on the 27 Hoji. The Hoji would need one or two toe caps when fitting the liner, the Atomic works out just so. I had to have the Atomic shell cooked due to compression issues on the metatarsal area.

Comparison to other boots:
    I've skied on the Lange XT130 LV - that last is strange, really narrow forefoot (painful), and too wide of an ankle area for my foot.
    I've been in the Tecnica Guide 130 - not very good heel hold either, as the ankle area is somewhat wider, and the shell flexes quite a bit when bending forward in the boots.
    I've also been in the Vulcan - the heel pocket was also too wide for me out of the box. It was worse in the ankle retention aspect than the Hawx 130 or the Hoji!

For me, the standout feature of the Hoji is the construction whereby the movement of the walk lever locks together the shell pieces. There is considerably less widening of the lower shell on forward bending of the boot than on the Hawx 130.
    The "pantsdown" side effect is nice, too, but not the most remarkable feature in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by culoduro View Post
    words...
    hmm.. that all sounds pretty interesting; and promising. If it had better toe/heel lugs I'd probably buy a pair to guinea pig. hopefully that's in the next version, but until then it's a dealbreaker for me right now.
    as summit says above "A Kickass Boot for Shitty Bindings"

Got my new pair of Hojis out on the local bump tonight on some soft loose man made. Skied these first for several laps, then went to my alpine boots with slalom race skis, then back to the Hojis for one more lap.

My only comparison for a touring boot is my current Cochise 120, which to me skis (and weighs) very close to an alpine boot. The Hojis, not so much. The difference in weight is incredible, and the walk mode, as others have said, is superb. As for skiing, I could definitely control the skis with good technique, but it was obvious I was on a lightweight boot. Flex and deformation were noticeable. Like I said, I have no real point of comparison to anything this light, but it definitely doesn't feel like skiing a solid alpine boot.

The single lever works great, love the lack of fiddling.

This likely wasn't very helpful, as I can't compare directly to something like a Maestrale, but thought I'd share first impressions.

I'll probably keep these for a dedicated touring boot (mostly pow and tight trees here in NE), simply because they seem so much better than my Cochise for the uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Interesting about the noticeable deformation, as this was something they apparently designed to be transferred to the cuff interface as opposed to the shell bowing out. I noticed similar deformation on my Transalp Ts Pros but with the addition of a pro tongue liner they now ski like a downhill boot with no perceivable distortion of the lower boot. Hoping the Hoji's will take to it the same way as they have the potential to be a go to for all but the gnarliest of objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Interesting about the noticeable deformation, as this was something they apparently designed to be transferred to the cuff interface as opposed to the shell bowing out. I noticed similar deformation on my Transalp Ts Pros but with the addition of a pro tongue liner they now ski like a downhill boot with no perceivable distortion of the lower boot.
    I've had similar positive side effects on softer ski touring boots after switching from stock lower volume liners to Intuition high volume luxury liners. For example, my mango first gen scarpa maestrales would completely bow out and collapse in warmer temps and denser/deeper hot pow with stock liner. No collapsing after switching to the luxury liners, just a nice smooth albiet somewhat soft forward flex. Same positive change with Dynafit Mercuries and Garmont Deliriums (pretty stiff boot but stock liner caused some excessive forward flex in neutral and more aggressive forward lean settings).

Considering a comment about the stock liner of the Hoji being rather low volume (thin) over at wildsnow, if true, gut feel says adding a thicker Intuition would mitigate the bowing out effect.
    Master of mediocrity.